RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 RR (54K mles) is experiencing something weird. When I get up to highway speed for 15 or so minutes, the ABS and Brake lights come on, and the display says HDC and Air Suspension Inactive. Once I stop the car for a minute or so, and restart it, all the messages disappear. I took it to the dealer to have some other things looked at under my extended warranty, and they said that they could not see anything for sure, but that the ABS control module had corrosion and needed replaced, and that the wiring harness and plug in needed cleaned and repaired to the tune of $1600! While doing my research through the archives, I have noticed that some people are experiencing the same things, but I have not seen a clear solution. I disconnected the battery and tried to reset the steering pitch, but this still does not help me. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could cure my problem. This has been going on for over a month, but last week I repaired the crankcase vent tubes that were so torn up that the RR was smoking after a 35 minute drive. I was wondering if the oil that was leaking from the tubes could have saturated something that might cause this issue. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: Air suspension/HDC inactive Brake and ABS lights....Help!

I had an EAS Inactive warning and illuminated EAS lock LED. I did not have the other problems, which together may indicate a bad battery/charging issue.

Dealer was "too busy", so I went to a local Rover/Jag shop. They pulled the AllData report and found a TSB (LTB00058, May 25,2007, Section 204-06) which updated LM204-003. A reflash of the EAS with updated software fixed it. The symptom reported by LRNA is that the system indicated incorrect part failures (like the relay they replaced last year, that was probably not defective - and they DIDN'T reflash the EAS ECU.)

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

I think I got an email in regard to this... Was it you?

I still have this exact problem... I had the codes pulled while the message was active and was told a speed sensor wire needed replacement. I haven't actually made the repair yet, so I can't tell you if its a remedy...

I previously brought it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong so they wanted to shotgun the issue with some expensive parts... My independent tech told me to bring it in while the codes are up, scanned it and apparently this speed sensor will fix it...

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

I also want to add I don't think this issue has anything to do with the battery... Mine tests fine, every other function on the suv is rock solid... but 15 min into a commute, these errors pop up! I should throw that speed sensor on!

·
Registered
266 Posts

That makes sense to me.

The EAS TSB just popped up for me this week, and thought you might need a fresh idea.

The thing that chapped me was that I had been to the dealer within the last year for an EAS problem and they didn't flash the EAS ECU, and you know they should know to do that, and it should be a covered repair since it is a factory defect. And top all of that with their continual lying to me about not being able to update the bluetooth software (LRNA seems to think it can be done and my iPhone would work just fine.)

·
Registered
35 Posts

+1 on the wheel speed sensor. I had the same issue.

The various computers on this thing talk to each other via 'plausibility tests'. There is no one master computer calling the shots. So, a speed sensor fails on one wheel. Your ABS detects that one wheel isn't turning and triggers a fault because ABS is speed sensitive. Without ABS, your HDC couldn't function, so it triggers one, too. Even your transmission can get involved, given that it, too, thinks that one wheel isn't turning (mine went into 'Transmission Fail Safe Mode'). And so on. When it happened to me, almost everything would reset at a stoplight, then would cascade faults as soon as I started rolling again. It can be hard to diagnose this stuff because by the time you get to the dealer, there's a catalogue of fault codes set, but no clue as to where they all originated.

IIRC, what tipped the dealer off was the intermittent speedo. $145 for the wheel speed sensor and an hour of labour.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for the input. I am going to get the abs/wheel speed sensor checked out in the morning. Brads1, it was me that emailed you. We both had the same details to our problem. My lights do not reset while sitting still, I have to turn off the ignition and wait for everything to power down before the lights reset. I hope that this cures it. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
489 Posts

I had those exact same codes before on my 06 sport and after one dealer couldnt figure it out, the ventura tech said hed seen it also a few times in a faulty bulb in the tail light. I had put leds in the tail light but something was up and it made the computer think that the brake light was on thereby sending info to the computer that something was up with the abs and the hdc and the transmission fault as well. Replaced the bulb and it all went away. Good luck

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

drbimmerm3 said:
Thanks for the input. I am going to get the abs/wheel speed sensor checked out in the morning. Brads1, it was me that emailed you. We both had the same details to our problem. My lights do not reset while sitting still, I have to turn off the ignition and wait for everything to power down before the lights reset. I hope that this cures it. Thanks again for the input.
Right! To reset mine I power down, suspension goes up at both ends slightly, then the code is usually cleared. I'll try to swap out the sensor this weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I just got a call from my local independent, and he says that the codes are pulling up a bad steering angle sensor. I told him about resetting it, and he says that he tested it and it is bad and cannot be reset. Do these sensors go bad? I was praying for the wheel speed sensor. Brads1, mine does the same thing, when I park it lifts up the front and then the lights reset. Is there anyway that I can tell if it is the wheel speed sensor and which one.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

drbimmerm3 said:
I just got a call from my local independent, and he says that the codes are pulling up a bad steering angle sensor. I told him about resetting it, and he says that he tested it and it is bad and cannot be reset. Do these sensors go bad? I was praying for the wheel speed sensor. Brads1, mine does the same thing, when I park it lifts up the front and then the lights reset. Is there anyway that I can tell if it is the wheel speed sensor and which one.
I still haven't done mine.... Test book identified which sensor fouled. I don't know about the steering angle sensor, I suppose it's possible but I've never seen anyone mention this as a remedy... Please keep us posted though.

·
Registered
690 Posts

When I had the air suspension inactive signal it was fixed by replacing a steering angle sensor. Reported it in an earlier thread.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Norval said:
When I had the air suspension inactive signal it was fixed by replacing a steering angle sensor. Reported it in an earlier thread.
Yes but was your air suspension inactive accompanied by HDC, Brake, and abs faults together intermittently? I will be driving along for 15 min on back roads, get on the highway and all of a sudden the errors pop up :think:

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
20 Posts

Had the same issue this past week. All of the same symptoms (Air Suspension/HDC Inactive, Brake and ABS lights on). Put the battery on a 2A trickle charge for 12 hours. After I started the vehicle (2003 Range Rover HSE) the Air Suspension error was immediately gone, after I pulled out of the drive and drove away all of the other errors immediately cleared. Been fine for 4 days now. All of this happened during a cold period (-15 celcius).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts