RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 RRS SC. 99K Miles.

I just purchased this Rover and on my extensive test drive the vehicle showed no warning lights regarding the air suspension. While I was signing all the paperwork the dealer (not a New Land Rover Dealer) replaced the control arms.

This not only put it out of alignment but then the amber light came on that said "vehicle leans when cornering" after about three miles of driving. I have driven it this way for about a week thinking the alignment would remedy the situation as soon as I was able to get it in.

I took it in for an alignment today. They put the computer in service mode they said. The got it all lined up perfect. It is straight as an arrow now. However the amber light changed to a red flashing light that says I need to stop the vehicle immediately and so on and so fourth.

I don't have my diag tool from AB yet so I cannot clear the codes today but if that doesn't work (alignment shop says they did it twice) what is the next troubleshooting step? I know that the air bags and compressors work fine. They are very quick to respond and smooth when whatever sensor that is flipping out hasn't flipped out yet.

What sensors are most likely to be impacted by alignment/control arm issues?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I'd start with a recalibration of the suspension by a indy RR shop or the dealership. If you have a wonky height sensor this should also pinpoint any issues like that.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Those messages point towards the Dynamic Response system, not the Air Suspension, they use the same fault light.

Check your DR fluid level to start, if it's low, you can burn out the pump quickly.

That said, usually the cause of EAS faults cause by the alignment being out is the steering angle sensor reading being off, as in wheel is not point straight when vehicle moving straight. This however should have been rectified with the alignment, but could take a little driving to reset, or even a hard reset.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DR Fluid does look a bit low, its below the min mark about the same distance as the min mark is from the max mark. It is also quite dark, is it supposed to be dark?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to the stealer today and got a quart of DR fluid and topped it off. I took it for a drive and then did a hard reset. That didn't help. However I did notice that the fluid is a green color and while my fluid may be a little dirty I don't think its that dirty now considering the color of fresh fluid.

It is letting manipulate the air suspension. Promptly responds to all 3 levels. The amber triangle with the circle arrow (DRS Light) is not on and does not come on. The little rover with the two side to side arrows on top is red. It does a "system check" at start and even after a hard reset the message "Suspension Fault. Safely stop vehicle." with that red little rover light flashes then stays steady red. I think it a fault code thats going to stick until its clear.

If it was going away and then coming back after driving a bit I would think I have a problem but since its flipping out before its even in gear I think I am going to have to wait to get my tool next week and see what the code is and clear it.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
You'r going to need to get the faults pulled, but you're probably looking at something with the DR system, failed solenoid or sensor.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered the diag thing from AB and should have it next week. If I have a failed solenoid or sensor I dont want to further damage the system so I am turning the DSC off while I am driving it. Ill come back and post what the code is and perhaps you might be will to help me isolate the failed part. From the other threads on the subject I see that most of the DSC system is not really serviceable by someone of my current expertise, may have to take it to the dealer :(

Its just really odd that the control arms and alignment caused all of this. Has to be a sensor.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Dynamic Stability Control(DSC) and Dynamic Response(DR) are completely separate systems. Turning off the DSC has no effect on the DR system. That said, as long as the fluid level is correct, driving it will not cause more damage to the system, a failed solenoid will prevent system operation, which will cause it not to handle as designed, but does protect it from causing damage, at least in most cases, a stuck open valve can cause bad things to happen, but would be very noticeable.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dynamic Stability Control(DSC) and Dynamic Response(DR) are completely separate systems. Turning off the DSC has no effect on the DR system. That said, as long as the fluid level is correct, driving it will not cause more damage to the system, a failed solenoid will prevent system operation, which will cause it not to handle as designed, but does protect it from causing damage, at least in most cases, a stuck open valve can cause bad things to happen, but would be very noticeable.
It makes sense now why the lights are different.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got my scanner today and I am getting a code from the DR system C1A00 Control Module. Not very descriptive. When I attempt to clear it, the tool says its clear but it never goes away.

I am going to look at the sticky that has a map of where this module might be and make sure its all plugged in properly, maybe unplug it and plug it back in.

I am going to swap the PCV assembly and change the air filters and maybe check back here and see what your thoughts are. Do you think the module is jacked?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
More than likely your "scanner thing" is unable to properly communicate with the lower subsystems in the Range Rover and is giving a generic code. When you purchased the scanner did you go for one that included all systems for your rig or a generic scanner that handles the main systems?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More than likely your "scanner thing" is unable to properly communicate with the lower subsystems in the Range Rover and is giving a generic code. When you purchased the scanner did you go for one that included all systems for your rig or a generic scanner that handles the main systems?
I got the i930 after watching AB's video on it. Specific to rovers and jags.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So just to clarify.
The message displayed is "Suspension Fault. Stop Engine Safely", The DR light flashes red for two min and then stays steady red. I was working my may through all the other modules and the red DR light was done flashing when I got back to the DR module. I read the code again (after updating the i930) and it says C1A00 module error or something generic like that. I cleared the code, and you can tell thing cleared the code because it dings again and the DR light starts flashing again. The very second it clears it comes right back but you can tell it is clearing it.

Found the module. I am not messing with it. Think I am just going to have to take it in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I just had the thing re calibrated. The DR light is still on red. The instrument cluster throws a bunch of codes about loosing communication with about 4 different modules.

I am going to take it back to the same shop on Monday and leave it for two days. He said they are very susceptible to "micro-corrosion" on the contacts and that he is going to need to have the vehicle longer to find exactly what the problem is.

Do you have any suggestions on maybe where to look for this said micro corrosion. Maybe unplug some things and plug them back in?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am getting the following error codes.

P0173 Fuel Trim Bank 2
P0171 Fuel Trim Bank 1

U0132 Lost Communication w/ Ride Level Control Module
U0182 Lost Communication w/ Front Light Control Module
U0159 Lost Communication w/ Park Assist Module
U0127 Lost Communication w/ TPMS Module

B1A03 Speaker Circuit 3
B2F00

C1A00 Dynamic Responce Control Module

These can be cleared and they all come right back after the rover is turned off and restarted. The DR module code comes back the very second you clear it.

The battery appears brand new and has 12.6V with the vehicle shut down. Its driving me crazy, I spent $100 bucks on a diag and they said it was the PCV valve causing the check engine light. I replaced it and still get the fuel trim codes.

I spent $100 on an alignment and the DR system light remained. I just spent $100 on a recalibration and still the DR light remains. $300 and I am no closer to what is causing all these lights.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
PCV valve could easily have been the root cause of the trim codes, but is not going to fix it alone. Those fueling codes relate to Sub-Feedback trims being rich, this is almost always caused by incomplete combustion, which is a side effect of fouled spark plugs(and/or high resistance in the ignition capacitor) which can easily be attributed to a failed PCV valve.

The C1A00 points towards the module, however this system incorporates sub-codes, so several different faults can have the same generic code(should be C1A00-xx with xx being the sub code that would tell what the module doesn't like about itself) However, the only C1A00-xx codes that should have a red light, and say 'stop safely' as opposed to an amber light and 'vehicle lean while cornering' are a lack of calibration, and the ECU not being activated(essentially not programmed) So, assuming the calibration was preformed correctly, you may need to have it programmed. It could have either lost it's programming(software corrupted, possibly due to many low voltage situations, might explain the new battery) or for some reason it was replaced, although, I have yet to see one of these ECUs fail. Also, the C1A00 can trigger if there is another fault in the system, that for some reason your scanner isn't picking up.

As to the remaining codes, I would clear them and see what comes back, but to clarify, does your vehicle have TPMS, Parking aid and adaptive front lights? - the RLM can easily be due to the current fault situation.

·
Registered
89 Posts
While I hate to just start throwing parts at an issue the spark plugs are a routine thing. It was burning oil at startup and the PCV cured that but I could certainly see that burned oil fouling the plugs, but on both banks? I am going to replace them. I would like to get the ones with the 4 post on them because they seem better and are more readily available to me. Do you think that is a good idea or should I just order OEM from AB?

It is important to note that this had no lights relating to the DR system at first. They started with replacement of the control arms which sent to DR system to the amber 'vehicle leans when corning' mode. Then after an alignment it went to red. That may all be a coincidence but I doubt it. I first thought the alignment shop left it in Tight Tolerance Mode but the calibration yesterday would have fixed that. Its my understanding that the suspension calibration is in a different module than the DR system. There have been no low voltage situations since I have owned the rover and none inside of the span that this DR module started flipping out. Is reprogramming that ECU going to have to be done at the dealer?

"Also, the C1A00 can trigger if there is another fault in the system, that for some reason your scanner isn't picking up."
The shop that just did the calibration said something about the "all terrain" module having issues. This is something my scanner is not picking up. I took it as a sign they didn't know what they were talking about or that he was referring the DR module.

The remaining lost communication codes are for systems my rover does have and that seem to work great.

Is there a possibility that there is corrosion or a loose connection somewhere that has been loose so long the DR module couldn't keep the voltage it needed and pooped out? Is there a harness somewhere that involves all of these modules that I could maybe check?

Also, I clear all of these codes, a few times now, and they come right back.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
For spark plugs, I recommend Denso Ir 3395 plugs, seem to work the best, I don't like multi-electrode plugs for engines that aren't designed for them.

What did you have calibrated? The EAS or the DR? Yes, they are different. The DR calibration isn't as much of a calibration as a initiation, where it sets its sensor readings to a 0 reference.

None of the faults you have stored in the IP will have an effect on your current situation, and it isn't abnormal at all for these trucks to have erroneous communication faults stored in various systems.

I agree with not throwing any more parts at it, as this will probably just be a waste of money, but it might be time to take it to a dealer for an actual diagnosis. Personally, I would not accept 'microcorrosion' as a possibility in the least.

I don't really see anything that the alignment shop could/would have done in the process of doing an alignment(assuming they weren't pulling fuses or anything) that would give you any of the symptoms you currently have.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just read the following in a DR system service guide.

"If the steering angle sensor develops a fault or is out of calibration, there is a possibility that the dynamic response control
module will record a fault code. T4 should be used to check for fault codes and the adaptive data should be cleared by
resetting the fault codes in the control module after the steering angle sensor has been recalibrated. For additional
information, refer to Anti-Lock Control - Traction Control (206-09A Anti-Lock Control - Traction Control)"

Is there anything that would lead you to believe this is not the cause?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
A faulty SAS (including out of calibration) will cause your DSC and ABS lights to be on, along with dropping the suspension.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts