RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking thru the archives there has been lots of discussions on the Arnott GenII and GenIII but i am still confused as to the difference. I see that
the Gen III has an extended travel relative to the OE and GenII bags, and different spring rates to the OE.

Other than the extended travel is there any real difference between the Arnott GenII and GenIII? In my circumstance I'm using the RR mainly for highway, with very occasional very mild off road, although I may aspire to do more off roading in the future.

My OE bags are not looking in great shape although they do not seem to be loosing significant pressure yet, but replacement sets will be needed sooner rather than later I suspect. So, there seems little reason not to take advantage of the newer Gen II technology over the origninal OE equipment as the cost is not too much more. but the leap to GenIII is a bit steeper and I would like to develop a better understanding of the benefit of using GenIII with an otherwise standard suspension setup mainly road use.

There must be lots of folks with Arnot bags now, anyone want to try educating me on the GenII/GenIII question????

Gordon

·
Registered
276 Posts
The main advantage of Gen III bags is that they are harder at highway height and softer at offroad height (the original bags and the Gen II bags are exactly the opposite, Land Rover also recognized this design fault and corrected it on the L322 Range Rover), so you get better highway handling and softer suspension at offroad height.
Gen III bags really transform the handling of the car at highway height.

If you'd like to take advantage of the longer suspension travel, you'll need longer shocks and maybe EAS height sensor extensions.

Sigi

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Gen III is much more reliable than OEM or Gen II. The early runs of Gen II's had some issues. That being said, I have Gen II's, have never had a problem, and they feel the same as stock to me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can't tell you anything about Gen2 bags. But I recently put Gen3's on, replacing my leaking OEM bags. Previously, I contemplated installing the aftermarket rear sway bar from Britiah Atlantic because I wasn't impressed with the handling. After putting on the Gen3's, it's been a great highway ride... And the swaybar isn't even an option in my mind anymore.

FYI: there's a 10% discount Arnott code floating around on various forums. It works.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
57 Posts
I had a Gen II break on me a couple of weeks ago. I was very unimpressed to say the least, as this was right at the start of a day's off roading that I had been looking forward to for weeks. I managed to get ONE lane in and then it broke, dropping the rear o/s down so far that the wheel was rubbing on the wheelarch rendering it completely undrivable - luckily I had just got back to tarmac when it happened. Not sure what I would have done if it had happened in the middle of the lane.

When I took it off, I found it had cracked right across the base plate causing a massive air leak.

The supplier sent a replacement straight away but it's made me very nervous about offroading on them now. The bags had only been on for 4 months. Anyway, I'm out again this weekend so fingers crossed.

Guy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys

My budget will permit GenIII, so Gen III it is - well of course thats unless the repair/restoration fund is used up fixing something else in betwen times!!!

Thanks again.
Gordon :D

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
I've been running Gen IIIs for a while now - very good, better cornering and feel generally.

Shocks and bushes next!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wifeys 2001 SE with 16" rims has GENIIIs and feels more comfortable than my 2001 HSE with GENIIs. Not sure if the difference is the GENIII vs GENII or the 16" vs 18" rims.

I did have a GENII develop a leak on a rear bag near the top. Shupack was awesome to deal with and Arrnott was fast to replace. :dance:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts