RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like my 1977 P38 has a leaky air bag on the front. Both bags look pretty perished. I have searched the forum but there are so many results, I can't find any recommendations for replacements. They are available from about a dozen sources running from $60 up to $180 each. Any one have any recommendations of good brands or ones to stay away from?

Thanks guys.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,710 Posts
EAS is the most talked about topic in the P38 section. Now as there was no P38 in 1977, and no EAS in 1977, I would suggest you get friendly with the search function for either a 1977 Classic or for what ever year of P38 you have. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
land rover direct, p38 spares, rimmer bros, paddock spares, john craddock, arnott, eBay, amazon. you name it they carry those bags, prices all over the spectrum.
my best suggestion, do your research and plan to replace all 4 at the same time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
...in my experience, Dunlop springs makes car ride much softer than Arnott one...im not sure am i deluding myself, but thats my impression after installing both at same day and trying it out ...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's my experience with air bags. I bought my 99 4.0 as a dealer demo in early 2000 and changed out the air bags myself in 09 at 284,000 kms. I'm not a mechanic but I do my own work as much as possible. I replaced the OEM's with Arnott units which I purchased direct from them. I now have a suspension leak which I'm having a hard time diagnosing, but suspect one or both rear bags. I recall that Arnott has a lifetime warranty and called to ask about this policy. It's hard to believe, but they had my name on record and said they would gladly replace the bags if they are faulty. That's impressive service to me in this day and age. I now have 395,000 kms. on the vehicle and aside from replacing the head gaskets myself, have done nothing else for drivetrain repairs. She's a tough old bird and I still enjoy driving her.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,710 Posts
The Arnott Gen III springs are very good. Pricey, but good and will last a long time.
Arnott III are a waste of money unless your going to lift your to make use of the extra travel.

The Dunlops are tried and true, maintain the "magic carpet" ride and easily can be obtained from multiple sources. Best of all you know they will last another 80+K miles and often more.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
483 Posts
Arnott III are a waste of money unless your going to lift your to make use of the extra travel.

The Dunlops are tried and true, maintain the "magic carpet" ride and easily can be obtained from multiple sources. Best of all you know they will last another 80+K miles and often more.
"Magic carpet" - are you sure about that? I've recently changed all four air bags (Dunlops) and the ride before and after is not "magic carpet" like (although, to be fair, I've never actually experienced a ride on a "magic carpet" `) ). It doesn't ride ruts particularly well and patters on broken surfaces. Should it be better than this and, if so, what is the solution?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
"Magic carpet" - are you sure about that? I've recently changed all four air bags (Dunlops) and the ride before and after is not "magic carpet" like (although, to be fair, I've never actually experienced a ride on a "magic carpet" `) ). It doesn't ride ruts particularly well and patters on broken surfaces. Should it be better than this and, if so, what is the solution?
New OEM Boge shocks and new Lemforder bushes throughout will take you toward the Magic Carpet!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have always suspected it depends where you buy your magic carpet from . . . .

My 98 GEMS seems to be reasonably smooth most of the time, but does seem to jar a little over harsh bumps or potholes. Although I replaced all 4 airbags with dunlop about 3 years ago, the shocks have been on there since before I bought the car about 4-5 years ago. Can't see what make they are, but wondering if somebody put stiffer versions on at some point. So far I've not had a ride in a P38 with both Dunlop & Boge fitted, so don't have a definitive reference point.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,710 Posts
Land Rover put a lot of labour and design funds into improving the ride from the Classis EAS system while maintaining ultimate suspension flex off road. If you screw with the components by changing to a different air spring or dampener its no surprise you failed to maintain the engineered pairing of the various suspension components thus are not experiencing the original ride. Tyre type, alignment even the amount of air in the tyres all impact ride comfort as well. As far as bushings far too many folks have ruined their comfort with "upgraded" polyurethane bushings. Those useless things are like removing your bed pillow and replacing it with a concrete block. Dampeners and air springs all have different valving and travel. Orignal Boges have soft and progressive valving. "Upgrades" like Bilsteins , that everyone seems to flock to, or Koni, KYB etc all have very stiff valving. You are doing yourself no favours attempting to turn a P38 into a performance handling rig with harsh, stiff, tight "upgrades" to your suspension. Stick with tried and true parts and leave bolt on performance bits for sports cars and Civics.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Fit coils for a day.....

·
Registered
324 Posts
Magic Carpet seems to be a realative term. One mans harshness is another mans dream. A stiffer, firmer ride seems to be easier to detect with Arnott gen 3’s in normal mode. If that is your choice so be it. I’m a fan of the springs that hold air the longest. My butt has enough fat on it to even out the ride. So far so good. The best info so far has been the link to a complete set of OEM Springs from Island 4x 4. It would be nice if other companies made a kit with all four in one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only decision right now is Gen I or Gen II. Even though there is a leak, it is very slow. No complaints at all about the ride, it is wonderful. I am also replacing the bushings in the suspension. Stock replacements. As soon as it warms up a little, I will take care of it all.
Thanks for all of the responses.

·
Registered
926 Posts
When my OEM's were done, I replaced the fronts with Arnot Gen II. I had them on for maybe 30k miles, 3 years and one of them started leaking. I went back to Dunlops from Island 4x4, I think they are a little better quality.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts