RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after more than a year without major problems, this morning I found the car leaning on the rear right side. I think the rear air spring has a leak, but the car only has a visible drop after a few hours. Can I replace the air spring myself? The procedure seems rather simple, except for the suspension depressurisation using the testbook... Is this really necessary? Did anyone change a rear air spring? And, since I don't see any visible damage on the rubber part, could it be another cause for the drop? There is no hiss, and once started, the car raises to normal height in seconds. Thank you!

·
Registered
89 Posts
adara said:
Well, after more than a year without major problems, this morning I found the car leaning on the rear right side. I think the rear air spring has a leak, but the car only has a visible drop after a few hours. Can I replace the air spring myself? The procedure seems rather simple, except for the suspension depressurisation using the testbook... Is this really necessary? Did anyone change a rear air spring? And, since I don't see any visible damage on the rubber part, could it be another cause for the drop? There is no hiss, and once started, the car raises to normal height in seconds. Thank you!

There could be alot of problems for the lean the most common cause is an airbag leak. It could also be due to one wheel not being on a level surface seeing as though I believe that you would have suspected that before posting my guess is its a leak. The problem becomes finding the leak because it could be the bag and it could be the connector. You could put it in off road mode the highest setting and listen for air ecscaping or you could get a spray bottle with water and some detergent of some sorts and spray the connector and bag to check for bubbles which is the easiest way to determine leakage. If you cannot find a leak your only DIY option available would be to replace the bag anyway which is not entirely difficult I have done it in the front bag there is a thread explaining the procedure. As for letting the air out you can simply induce a connector leak by loosing the air connector on the bag SLIGHTLY and allowing it to drain slowly. The only problem with DIY if you wait to long you may get a Air Suspension inactive message which would then require testbook to clear. While you its probably the bag you have to take into account the complexity of the system and understand that if you dont find a leak replacing a bag without knowing thats the sole problem amounts to you throwing parts at a problem which if you dont mind potentially overspending on the problem then have at it. You become more comfortable with your range the more work you do on it. Check these threads for more info.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36253&p=281163&hilit=Air+bag+leak#p281163

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32095&p=250408&hilit=Air+bag+leak#p250408

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28039&p=216063&hilit=Air+bag+leak#p216063

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27564&p=213176&hilit=Air+bag+leak#p211714

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your detailed post and for the links! The car is on a flat surface and it really takes about 8 hours for it to lower on the rear right corner down to the bump stop. This is intriguing, as I would think the car would level itself to the lowest wheel. Actually, when I press the remote in the morning, the car drops on all wheels almost to the rear right low level, surely trying to level itself, and once the engine is started, it raises to normal height in a few seconds, with no messages whatsoever. There is no noise from escaping air but as soon as the weather gets better I will try to find the leak with soap and water.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spent a few hours soaping the rear air springs, the connectors and the valve block which is in the right rear wing, without finding any leak. Wonder what to do next…

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
152 Posts
If you can get your hands on a copy of RAVE .iso and you no a bit about virtual drives you can have a look at land rovers range rovers complete service manual which will give you a map of the whole system including pressure relief valve location. very handy to have if you want money in your pocket and not the dealers!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I went to the dealer who couldn’t find any leak or error and said the air spring probably needs replacement. I got one and replaced it with a friend and guess what, it still does the same. When the engine starts, the car gets back to the correct level in seconds. I looked at the yellow nylon pipe and it seemed OK. The pressure relief valve is on the compressor unit, if it is malfunctioning shouldn’t the entire car lower?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another dealer blames the rear valve block (240EUR). Also it looks like the front left sensor (39EUR) is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If its not the bag then it gets really interesting because now you really cant operate the system to see the malfunction. Do you have an Air suspension Inactive message in the command console above the steering wheel? If you do there are diagnostic tools that will interrogate your rover for the trouble codes and give you an idea of the malfunction. Also I have the RAVE manual which diagrams the entire range rover air system I can provide you with a site so that you can download it as an assistance but at this point you may not be able to find the problem until you replace the part. Valve block could be culprit but like i said if you don't have an Inactive message there is no way to truly tell because its not hard enough to fault the system but problem enough to let air out. If I were you I would wait until it faults the system if it hadn't already which could be costly but as of right now if it takes a good 8 hours to drop and comes right back that's the sign of a very slow leak which could involve you checking each valve seal or replace each seal location until it stops which could also be quite pricey.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There was no fault message in the dash, the suspension lifts and lowers normally, the only problem being this drop. The local dealer couldn’t find any problems and told me he would replace the bag which is what I did without solving the issue. I also had only twice the suspension inactive message in different days since, but as soon as the ignition was off the message was gone. The main dealer told me the rear valve block is faulty and also that the front left sensor is giving an error. I left the car with them because of course it takes 2 weeks for the valve block to get there. I have the RAVE manual and I tried to understand how the suspension works, but if there is no leak or error message there's really not much one can do... Thank you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a 2003 and notice a slight dip on my driver side, got 103000 miles. I have no messages on my dash. Does anybody know how much something like this will cost to get fixed at the dealer? parts and labor?

·
Registered
89 Posts
J.Millionaire said:
I have a 2003 and notice a slight dip on my driver side, got 103000 miles. I have no messages on my dash. Does anybody know how much something like this will cost to get fixed at the dealer? parts and labor?
At the dealer your looking at about $2800 for the new strut and about $500 labor so in all about $3300 give or take $50. Also the dealer will suggest that you replace both sides at the same time (which is not entirely necessary) so you can double that final number so your looking at about $6600. If your handy with some regular tools it can be done DIY style for alot cheaper. You can purchase a reman. part for about $300 from Arnott Industries. Either download a rave manual or read my layout on replacing the strut and do the work yourself for the price of the part and your time. Its not a difficult job if you have worked on cars before its not something that requires special tools of any sort just patience and being careful. The call is yours though.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewto ... IY#p212151

http://www.arnottindustries.com/

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the rear valve block replacement did the trick for me, no more leaning for a week now, but it had to be replaced by the dealer who afterwards recalibrated the suspension…

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
exquizit23 said:
J.Millionaire said:
At the dealer your looking at about $2800 for the new strut and about $500 labor so in all about $3300 give or take $50. Also the dealer will suggest that you replace both sides at the same time (which is not entirely necessary)
So if one 7 year old rubber airspring with 103000 miles on it fails, you don't think its likely that the other three are on the way out?

I'd say four springs and a valveblock rebuild are required.

Thats $1010 in parts for the springs and one day for the diy-er to change them.

http://www.rover-renovations.com/Range- ... 3-s/45.htm

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi every one I have 02 range rover have the same problem ,lowering over night,I changed the front air spring ,still lowering after an hour or so and it rise up when start ,but when it rise i noticed that the front right is not @the same hight as the front left its like 1/2 inch lower even on flat surface ,could this be the reason ,dose the car try to level it self when its not running and why the front right side is not @ the same hight like the others?
anybody can help
thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts