RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm a final year engineering student and I'm currently working on the dynamics of a Range Rover sport for a coursework.

I've got a few quesitons regarding the air springs fo the RRS and wondering if anyone could help me out.

To calcualte a stiffness I need the dimensions of the individual air spring cyclinder, i.e. diameter and length and also the individual pressure. I'm aware they work in a linked system so even a total system pressure that I can divide by 4 to give me a rough figure would be useful.

Thanks in advance, any information will be greatly appreciated, and if this forum works with reps or likes there will be plenty to hand out :)

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hello all,

I'm a final year engineering student and I'm currently working on the dynamics of a Range Rover sport for a coursework.

I've got a few quesitons regarding the air springs fo the RRS and wondering if anyone could help me out.

To calcualte a stiffness I need the dimensions of the individual air spring cyclinder, i.e. diameter and length and also the individual pressure. I'm aware they work in a linked system so even a total system pressure that I can divide by 4 to give me a rough figure would be useful.

Thanks in advance, any information will be greatly appreciated, and if this forum works with reps or likes there will be plenty to hand out :)
Hate to add complexity to your course work but the system actually (based on articulation demand) actively cross-links the suspension "corners" - ie. they are NOT always cross-linked! In typical operation each corner has its' own control valve and height sensor; the computer auto-levels each corner independently to achieve even ride-height.

Also pressure is relative to the load; on my old Discovery I've totally redesigned the entire system to work off of a range rover air tank instead of direct-compressor-inflation which sucked. I also attached a digital pressure gauge to the tank side and the suspension side so I can watch the pressure fluctuations real-time - I keep the tank around 180 with an auto pressure switch to turn on the compressor. The SLABS ECU thinks it's turning on the compressor still, but instead it's just opening a solenoid from the tank ;)

The rear shocks on the 99 Discovery II range from ~65psi (1/4 tank gas) to nearly 90psi with a 20' boat fully-loaded (probably 350-400lbs tongue weight) plus the 26 gallon fuel tank of the DII (another 210lbs).

When articulation levels are high enough on the Range Rover, the system will close certain control-valves and only leave open commonly-linked corners (ie. front axle and rear axle) to eachother. In vehicles with the Dynamic Response, the sway bars are also detatched!

Takes a lot of engineering to get a vehicle that handles like this to also crawl over boulders haha.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,482 Posts
Hello all,

Phew...relieved that you are not an English Major...would be worried there, but while you are at it on your project, could you please ask LR to improve the quality of their installation instructions for their various accessories. These have got be put together by someone with a deviously wicked sense of humour, and typically come with graphics resembling Egyptian hieroglyphics and nary a single word printed on the entire booklet.

So...if you're in North Wales, you're not that far from the actual site where RRS's are produced, namely Solihull, England, and I suspect in the same time zone! Try giving the factory a call and have them put you in touch with an engineer who probably has all the specs you need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dimensions help

Hi everybody,

I'm wondering if anyone could possibly help me out with some dimensions....

I'm currently analysing the braking system for a Range rover Sport and I need a few dimensions.

Could someone possibly measure the following? Internet positive karma is up for grabs :)
  • Distance from the brake rotor outide diameter to the brake pad outside diameter
  • Pad depth (i.e. from the ouside diamter to the inside diamter)
  • The length of the pedal geometry i.e. pedal lever, distance from pivot to actuator
Any info for any of the points would be greatly appreiciated

thanks

Nick

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Dimensions help

Sorry I must admit that I was rushed when I was doing the last part of CW and forgot about my post.... I realise that it was pretty rude and I do apologise, I'll comment in the other thread so that people who helped can see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right folks, going to start by apologising for forgetting about this thread and not thanking anyone! I do feel bad I was given a lot of indepth information and help and didn't acknowledge it! Thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts