RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background...

When I went to get my new wheels put on a month ago, the stock lug nuts would not work and the shop had taken all four wheels off and had to put the ones with snow tires back on till lug nuts could be ordered. I asked them to rotate the rears to the front and fronts to rears since they were already off.

Interestingly, the steering wheel vibration improved with this change. I figured it was balance or air pressure since the air pressure is different per RR for the front and rears.

With my new wheels and the stock tires installed using dynamic balancing a few weeks ago, again the vibration was present but as low as it has been on my MY2010. It is most noticeable under acceleration up a hill at 65-75 mph.

Yesterday, I decided to see if I could impact the vibration issue by increasing tire pressure; and boy did it ever. I took the fronts to 46 psi and at any speed over 50 mph was like driving a car that had tires that were severely out of balance. I bet you the steering wheel would move 3/16" left and right under hard acceleration above 65 mph. I then took the tire pressure back to a perfect 38psi in each front wheel and now the vibration is almost not existent `) .

I'd be interested if others see similar results, even with 22's. I will probably take the tire pressure down to 37 psi and see if that helps too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
BWB - I hope this holds true. I'm going to give it a shot tonight. My vibration is very weird though man, it comes and goes. Sometimes NOTHING AT ALL and other times vibration like crazy. Did you run the same pressure all the way around? I think our 2010ss are 39front and 42rear...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TriGem2k said:
BWB - I hope this holds true. I'm going to give it a shot tonight. My vibration is very weird though man, it comes and goes. Sometimes NOTHING AT ALL and other times vibration like crazy. Did you run the same pressure all the way around? I think our 2010ss are 39front and 42rear...
I'm running the rears at recommended air pressure per the door jam sticker....I am traveling; if not I'd measure and let you know exactly what it is....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Cool, I'll play around with various pressures on the fronts and let you know what becomes of it. Since the problem is intermediate its hard know if a real solution is found.

Call me crazy but since it happens more heavily under heavy load and hard acceleration can it possibly be the torque converter???

My mind is all over the place with this problem...

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
BWB RRS HSE said:
When I went to get my new wheels put on a month ago, the stock lug nuts would not work and the shop had taken all four wheels off and had to put the ones with snow tires back on till lug nuts could be ordered. I asked them to rotate the rears to the front and fronts to rears since they were already off.
I'd be cautious about after market lug-nuts and its quality. Usually the LR and as far as I know Mercedes have certain specs for their lug nuts. Last month a friend of mine bought a set of bolts from Discount tire. He has an e-class decked out in the Carlson package. Luckily he was not moving fast, but as he left the traffic light, the front bolts sheared off, and the tire fell off. The car went over the tire. so it was minimal damage. This has prompted DT to do a recall of its bolts across the country. Makes you wonder under what spec these after market bolts are manufactured under.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'll try this as well, think I'm at 38 psi front and 40 rear maybe I'll drop 2-3 pounds of pressure and see what happens. I had a slight vibe between 50-60 ONLY and it's still there, albeit a little more pronounced, with my 22's.

·
Registered
521 Posts
It's odd that I read this. When I first got the car, the stock 19's had been set at 39 PSI. Slight vibrations all through the speed range.

When I put on the 20's, they guys set it at 37 PSI. No more vibration. I thought it might have been the tires but it might just be the air pressure!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I set my fronts at 36psi instead of 39 at stated on the door jam and left the rears at the reccomended 44psi. Big difference it comfort and the vibration is much less noticeable. I'm not sure if it will make any difference but I may try dropping the rears to 40psi...

I'll let you all know how it goes.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,468 Posts
Strange...on my 18's (285/60/18's) on standard LR OEM 18 inch rims, I run 38/42, but on my 20's (Redbourne Dukes) (285/40/20), I run at 44 all the way around...and have no vibrations at all on either set.

Maybe I'm just lucky...

·
Registered
521 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Strange...on my 18's (285/60/18's) on standard LR OEM 18 inch rims, I run 38/42, but on my 20's (Redbourne Dukes) (285/40/20), I run at 44 all the way around...and have no vibrations at all on either set.

Maybe I'm just lucky...
WOW. 44psi would be bone jarring.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
Goinkin said:
PJPR01 said:

Maybe I'm just lucky...
Actuallynot bad at all, and quite comfortable...it's a bit higher than normal just due to the wider tire, 285/40 vs. 275/40, and helps to keep the sidewall a bit stiffer and not bulging...plus it looks good!!!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Goinkin said:
PJPR01 said:

Maybe I'm just lucky...
Actuallynot bad at all, and quite comfortable...it's a bit higher than normal just due to the wider tire, 285/40 vs. 275/40, and helps to keep the sidewall a bit stiffer and not bulging...plus it looks good!!!
I've noticed on my past travels to the great state of TX that the girls are a bit prettier(we have Snooki in NJ so I may starting from a lower base IDK), the men are a bit taller, and in general, everything is just more...well...more. So it comes as no surprise that your sidewalls should be a bit stiffer. :D

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
You're killing me Goose!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The air pressure change has helped but not totally eliminated the issue, with vibration occuring now only at 55mph (+/- 1 mph) regardless of road surface....it is most annoying. Has anyone had this issue completely fixed at their dealer?????

·
Registered
318 Posts
BWB RRS HSE said:
The air pressure change has helped but not totally eliminated the issue, with vibration occuring now only at 55mph (+/- 1 mph) regardless of road surface....it is most annoying. Has anyone had this issue completely fixed at their dealer?????
This is my range +/- 5 mph.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts