Range Rovers Forum banner

Air in accumulator?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Rowant 
#1 ·
Hi,

I’ve not long had my abs actuator changed by a local garage. On the way back the brakes were nearly useless. I looked into the engine bay and it was covered in brake fluid with the abs pump running and making a racket. I managed to limp back and they apparently didn't tighten the high pressure house up correctly so it forced all the fluid out. They corrected this and did a brake bleed. This has sorted the issue but now my pump runs on every other brake application (before it was about every 4-6). The accumulator isn’t that old so I’m wondering if somehow air has made its way in and air locked it? Would this happen or would there be a vacuum holding the liquid in stopping this? Also would them doing a bleed purge this as I can only see one connection to the housing.

My other thought is it maybe something to do with the actuator leaking pressure to the lines somewhere but don’t have any other brake issues and no fluid loss.

(98 4.0 SE UK spec)

#2 ·
Probably not the accumlator at all but the evacuated system was just not bled properly & this is the problem with it getting up to (correct) pressure ? The previous 4-6 pumps needed before this 'bleed' was about right.

Air cannot get into the accumulator, it is just a diaphragm with high-pressure nitrogen above it; Do a 'brakes' 'accumulator' etc search on the site and you will see all the usual problems in some detail, not to mention:

http://www.rangerovers.net/maintenance/brakebleed4.html

#3 ·
Thanks for this. I did try and search but couldn't see matching circumstances. if its impossible for air to get in then at least I know not to get a new one. I'll take it to a different garage and get a full brake bleed (odd though as they feel fine)

Thanks again.

#4 ·
It sounds like your first mechanic did not know the correct procedure to bleed the brakes. My understanding is that it must be done as per the link from RRfanman - maybe print out the info in the link pages and show it to your ´new´ mechanic.

Then all should be well - and you will have peace of mind.

Rowan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.