RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

New to posting on RR.net (avid reader for many years). I have a '97 RR HSE 4.6 that I fitted a K&N breather to from a part I had laying around. The fitment was perfect and added a couple years ago, however, this is a 4x4 I had only driving on the property as a heavy duty wheelbarrow since, so I cant say when the warning lights changed.

I am trying to get it road worth to donate to a very good family, but upon required emissions inspection, codes read misfire on 5 and 7. I changed plugs and wires. Purchased and used Mass Airflow Sensor Cleaner... Only to notice there is an air temp heat sensor that was originally mounted on box.

Is the air temp sensor being unplugged creating the misfires (just 5&7, not entire bank 1,3,5,7)?

Could a coil pack be bad on only 2 of 4 cylinders?

Or possible something catastrophic like pistons, rings, cylinders, etc?

You help would be really appreciated. Much respect and thanks, fellow gear heads.

·
Super Moderator
2,332 Posts
A 97 has 4 coil packs so a coil pack going down will affect 2 cylinders but one pack feeds 4 and 7 while another feeds 5 and 8 so the pair you have rules that out. Check the compression on those two cylinders, it isn't unknown for a head gasket to blow between two adjacent cylinders and the only symptom is a misfire on the affected pair and very low compression on both.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts