Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I trying to get the A/C working on my 1997 4.6 HSE Range Rover. I have a Hawkeye diagnostic tool and this was telling me there was a fault with the compressor clutch. I could see from looking at this under the bonnet that it didn't seem to be engaging. I've checked the relays and fuses and all seem good. I found a video online where they showed how to test if the clutch was working by running a positive jump lead from the battery and directly connecting to the + of the compressor clutch to see if that was working and for me I'm getting nothing. Even if when connected if I manually push in the clutch it doesn't stay engaged, so I'm assuming the issue is some problem with the clutch or the electro magnet in the assembly. I've read on this site about issues with the shims in the clutch and wear that means the air gap is too big for the clutch to engage and some wiring harness fix to give more power to the magnet, but I assume if I've connected direct to the battery and have manually pushed the clutch in then it would stay engaged even with these issues? Is anyone able to confirm this assumption and therefore I just need a new compressor?

As a side issue if I got a working compressor from a breaker and just removed the clutch, bearing and electromagnet from that and put onto my compressor has anyone done that? Seems like it might be an easier DIY job than the full compressor and having to mess about with getting someone to discharge the refrigerant for me which I believe is needed if you replace the compressor completely.

Hope this all makes sense.

Thanks, Chris.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Early GEMS AC compressors came with clutch shims. As the clutches aged they began do fail because the gap for the electromagnetic clutch was too large/worn to draw closed. First step is to see if you still have a shim in your clutch plate. Removing it will most likely restore operation. There should be a write up in the home pages by P38arover if I remember correctly. If not it is in this forum.

If you have no shim any longer the your clutch may just be worn out and can be replaced without replacing the entire compressor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I'd read about the shim trick but assumed if I put power to the clutch and manually pushed it in then if it was working it would then stay engaged as I'd pushed it in to close the gap the shim would be making? I will however give it a try and see if the shim is still there and remove if not and see what happens.

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts