RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The blowers on my truck take almost a minute after starting before operating.
Appreciate if anyone has any ideas.

System is reliable otherwise,

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Is the heater system in your car still operational? Most cars here in Malaysia have the heater matrix disconnected and blend motors set to maximum cooling and the wires cut. The downside of this modification is that the self test of the ecu gets the wrong info from sensors and blend motors which results in the delay of operation you describe after start up.

It cost a fortune to change the blend motors and heater core o-rings with no benefits as the heater here is never ever used. I have learned to live with this very same delay problem. If you are willing to spend RM 2000 or more you can probably get it repaired. I have had problems with the blend motors before and had one side of the venting system supplying hot air and the other side cool air. Once you have been through that it is a small sacrifice to have to wait one minute before the air con starts to work.

Best regards

Jos

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Here an old picture of the bypassed heater system.

The aluminum pipe at the right side of the car has a hole in it and it caused an overheating problem when my wife drove the car, and I was away at work. (working as a marine engineer on ships)

As bonnychoo is in Malaysia I mentioned the price in RM=ringit malaysia and it is around 1/3 of that price in US$. This is the price you have to pay for the parts only from the dealer. Import duty is 45% on all continental vehicle parts so even if you buy from the UK it will be expensive. Then you have to disassemble the dashboard and after reassembly you will probably be ok for how long? The blend motor system is absolutely crap and the parts overpriced. If you need the climate control because of the area you are in require heating and cooling you have no choice then to bite the bullet. Here in tropical Malaysia local cars are brought on the market without even a heater option, and you might need it only in the unlikely event you travel up to the highlands where the minimum temperatures at night are as low as 16 Celsius.

Best regards

Jos

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Jose, your pic shows the proper way for bypass and allowing for full flow of coolant. I keep a set of hoses in my rig on long off road trips just incase of matrix failure. The OPs original pic shows a different loop and tight kink for bypass. This can lead to lack of flow and overheating.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jose, the heater system in my vehicle is fully functional as described in the Owners Manual. Hence, there is hot air, cold air, warm air and not so warm air.
Surprisingly the recirculating flaps are also fully functional.

I had the o-rings on my heater fail once and my air-con guy replaced them in under 45 mins....not joking.....under45 mins.
I had the right blend motor fail once on me but it turned out to be a poor solder joint within the unit, again he removed and had it on the bench within minutes.

But in spite everything else being normal, the blowers takes about a minute before functioning. The compressor engages from the start though.

Strange !

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mine's the same. I always imagined that it was by design.... avoiding getting blasted with cold air on a frosty morning before the heater matrix has had chance to warm up.

Steve

·
Registered
533 Posts
Agreed. It's designed in to avoid unwelcome air temps. I've had three p38's, all the same.

·
Registered
524 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
The OPs original pic shows a different loop and tight kink for bypass. This can lead to lack of flow and overheating.
I have had my system bypassed for a long time. The tight kink you refer to does not affect the cooling system performance at all. Overheating is not a problem with this bypass method, kink or no kink. 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts