Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Air bags deployed and now air suspension acting strange 2007 RR Sport TDV6

Hi all ,
a few weeks back my wife hit a curb at quite a low speed and the steering and dash airbags went off! No damage to the car externally but broke the windsheild upon deployment and scared the hell out of the wife, she nearly had another baby and she's not even pregnant!. Any way i have replaced the screen and plastic welded the air bag damaged areas. I dont use the car a lot on road but do off road so I am not going to replace the bags that went off as they are ridiculously expensive from the Australian Range Rover people.

Since this ocurrance the red airbag light stays on the dash cluster and the car drives fine till I get to about 80kmh and then a dash warning comes on saying it will lower and then it does , the raise lower emblem first goes orange then to red and completely lowers so it bounces all over the place, I can however stop and turn the car off/then on again and its OK if I drive under 60kmh ONLY. This is really annoying to say the least as you would imagine.What can I do to reset or isolate this problem, to be honest I dont care if i have air bags available for deployment or not? This all started after the small accident and the two bags deployed. I have checked underneath the car and all is in order with suspension and theres not even a mark on the rim that hit the curb.

What is the simpilist and most cost effective way of stopping this so that I can drive normaly please ?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,483 Posts
Re: Air bags deployed and now air suspension acting strange 2007 RR Sport TDV6

I believe that one of two things has happened here. Either a ride height sensor or both (most likely fronts) is damaged or you have a failing air compressor. Generally this orange to red light indicates an inflation issue with the air shocks..so there is also a possibility that the air line which is screwed into the top of the shock might have been damaged, and or become unseated. All in all however...this has to be corrected, it can't be "left alone"...so best to take it to an indy shop and have it diagnosed, the codes will be stored so they should be able to diagnose the offending part.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Air bags deployed and now air suspension acting strange 2007 RR Sport TDV6

Thank you for your advise and I shall have alook in the morning, I cant see how this may have occured as there is no physical damage tio the vehicle any where , but I will look again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
burning smell and then dead battery

Cant believe it, as you know I have just had afew issues with my RRS as per previous threads, so i went under the car and checked the ride hight sensors for functuionality and damage , popped the little connection arms off and checked for damage - nil and refitted. Pusshed and checked electrical connections - all good. Did an oil change while i was there .
Decided to take her for a run as i noticed thatshe was leaning about an inch to the drivers side ( the side where my wife had her small accident and the air bags went off.
Any way took her for a reasonable run and noticed that my suspension problem and warninf lights were not coming on as before ( hey - Great). Went home and shut her down, car stileaning to to the right still, lowered and raised a couple of times , worked but car uneven , checked air lines on bags - all OK - gave up as I dont know what more I can do. As walking away I could smell a electrical burning slash clutch /brake ceramic smell, unable to detect so went and had lunv=ch. 3 hours later the wife want ed to go to the shop - dead batterry and no ignition!? checked battery - dead as a maggot. What the hell has gone wrong this time I wonder? Help appreciated:shock:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: burning smell and then dead battery

The issue for the whole deal was a burnt out alternator.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,483 Posts

Car is still leaning to one side?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yes it is, still unable to trouble shoot. Checked all the sensor arms and connections . Dash is saying that the vehicle is raising slowly and it still leans to the right ?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts

Yes it is, still unable to trouble shoot. Checked all the sensor arms and connections . Dash is saying that the vehicle is raising slowly and it still leans to the right ?
It could be worse. If it was leaning to the left, your RRS would be both a liberal and have a bad suspension.

But seriously, with an '07 you are probably at the point for a new compressor and relay.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,483 Posts

It could be worse. If it was leaning to the left, your RRS would be both a liberal and have a bad suspension.

But seriously, with an '07 you are probably at the point for a new compressor and relay.
Yeah...see first post. But since he's down Undah...it could be a mirror image, so he might be leaning left anyway! :) Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Relay , I thought relays either worked properly and completed the circuit or just didnt pull in and the circuit remained open. How would a relay allow the suspension circuit to semi work I wonder?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts

Generally yes unless the wiring to the relay is loose.

My comment was that if your compressor is failing you should replace both (compressor + relay) at the same time.

And there is a new, upgraded compressor that replaces the Hitachi.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Sorry about that as I misunderstood what you were implying, should read properly. Anyway i decided to to take her into southern landrover here in perth and they were really good, ended up being that the ride sensors were simply out of callibration and it took the master technician 3 attempts to get it right. Don't know why they were so out of whack but it sits better now than it's ever been , every thing is as should be. Thanks for both your input.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,483 Posts

Bingo! Good to hear!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts