RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another idea: Many newer cars have the facility to disable the passenger side airbag in order to use the seat with a child seat can we do that?

I know its not there but if you unplugged the airbag (how easy is ti to get a the wires?) does it give alarms? If not then is it feasible to wire a switch into the line fitted on the end of the dash so you can only access sit with the door open?

I am contemplating the idea and am wide open to thoughts on it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I got a bit confused and was going to tell you to pull the relay under the drivers seat. But that is not the airbags system you are looking for. They are yellow wires from what I remember and yes the dash light comes on when something is wrong with them

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
IIRC...yes, you can disable it via the yellow plug. But... you will get a SRS light on the dash that can only be reset by the dealer.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So as I have a faultmate I could fit more or less any switch as I will have a light on the dash to remind me but I would need to plug in the faultmate after every time I used it?

I think I can reset that in the faultmate stand alone mode so for occasional use it becomes very feasible? Just have to find the wire I guess.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I'm not sure though, that if you disconnect one of the wires, if the whole system becomes inoperable? Only one way to find out...crash test. Who's got a donor. :dance:

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
I think that with the SRS error the entire system is shut down for safety reasons. This is to keep the bags from deploying on accicent instead of in an accident. If I were in your shoes I would just stick the kid in the back where it belongs. Not only is it safer but I think you'll find it much easier for access.

·
Registered
269 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
I think that with the SRS error the entire system is shut down for safety reasons. This is to keep the bags from deploying on accicent instead of in an accident. If I were in your shoes I would just stick the kid in the back where it belongs. Not only is it safer but I think you'll find it much easier for access.
Yea, and from my experience, kids like pressing buttons..... and theres a whole shed load of buttons in the front that can't be switched out like the window buttons in the rear. Just a thought that might apply.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I have seen a smashed RHD P38 which had just the passenger airbag removed and the driver one still in in order to fit a big fancy satnav stereo ghetto boom box thing in the same spot, and the drivers airbag didnt go off, and the front passenger headlight was about where the eas box should be..........

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
There is a sensor in the passenger seat to inform the SRS if there's someone there or not. Not sure if it would even be activated by a child seat, but it should be possible to use it to shut off only the passenger airbag.

My dad's ML had a problem with the same sensor causing the seatbelt warning light and beep to come on once in a while with no one in the seat. It was so annoying I always hooked up the passenger seatbelt just to be sure. :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts