RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

The previous owner accidentally cut the air bag wires to the yellow connector under the seat. I can't for the life of me find were those two wires go. Could someone possibly take a look at their Range Rover and point me in the right direction so I can reconnect these? The wires are Purple/Orange and Red/Orange.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Depends on what year P38 you have. If the previous owner put older seats in a new rig they will go nowhere as there are no SRS components in the seat. If you have SRS seats then you will have wires from the connector into the seat and then from the connector to under the carpet and centre to under the console... if memory is still working correctly. :lol:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks I'll take a look under the center console, my SRS light is on so I suppose this is most likely the problem. My rover is a 1996 I have no idea what the seats came out of.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
You really need to look at the wiring diagram, and the specs of your rig.
And while you're there, you can look up if just repairing the problem turns off the SRS light, or whther it needs to be hooked up to Faultmate etc to be urned off. On a 1996 IIRC, it's the latter, so do not keep messing with stuff looking for the light top not come on. Now it's on, it will stay on (Again IIRC) until it's reset with the proper kit.

Martin

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
1996 never had side airbags so you should have no wiring under the seats. By saying the previous owner "accidently" cut the wires would be misleading as there never would have been any there in the first place. As Martin said you will need to hook up and see what the actual error code is. Hint: It will have nothing to do with the seats. Most likely some one fiddled around with something in the dash and turned on the ignition with an SRS plug disconnected. This sets an error code.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah that does seem more likely. Any idea if there are an tools out there for reading a reseting the SRS? Most I've found seem to be 99+ model years only. The dealership wants to charge me a steep $125.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Go to the diagnostic section of the forum, they are listed there.
I use an old Faultmate, a Tek Pro and the RSW stuff. Order of usefulness is the same as the order I wrote them in. Bang for buck, the TekPro is hard to beat.
BBS have come out with other models now, of which I have no direct experience with but seem that folks are very happy with them. Nanocom etc.
There is also Icarsoft and so on. Links here
http://www.roverparts.com/nxt/?keywords=diagnostic tools
https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/

Martin

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Martin, I'll dig in and do some research.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on this thread. As it turns out the previous owner had swapped in seats from a newer range rover, hence the cut wires that didn't seem to go any where. So that wasn't my issue.

I replaced the clock spring just as a guess and took it to the dealer to clear the code. Unfortunately that didn't work. They informed me there was a fault with the drivers side airbag circuit but they weren't sure if that meant it was the sensor, or the airbag, or the SRS diagnostic unit gone bad. I tested the air bag, and I couldn't find what the resistance value should be but it seemed in the ball park of other air bag tests of other cars.

In the end I decided to just live with this problem. Air bags aren't covered in the 1996 ETM and there is not a lot of info on the system that I could find. Messing around with air bags can have some very bad results and on top of that any fix I attempt will cost me $65 just for the dealer to attempt to clear.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had the same problem with my 97, I now use the nanocom unit to reset the airbags. It seems every time I remove the glovebox I disturb the pass airbag connection. I can believe
sometimes they just cant reset it. Guy told me he tried to reset my pass airbax open circuit and I replugged it and reset it with my nanocom.
go figure

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah I looked into buying something like that but's it's just was to pricey for something that is really not a big deal

·
Registered
97 Posts
One car I worked on has the SRS light on and Nanocom told me it was drivers airbag. Tested the rotary coupler and that was fine but found that the cable from the coupler goes through a two pin connector underneath the steering column (strapped to the cross member that the main wiring loom runs along). Pulled that plug apart, gave it a squirt of contact cleaner, reconnected it, reset the code and it hasn't come back since.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did check that connection and it was clean and looked good. I didn't have any contact cleaner to shoot in there however.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The one I was working on looked clean but I gave it a squirt anyway. Don't forget that on the earlier cars even if the fault is no longer there, the light stays on until it is reset again. So even if pulling it apart and reconnecting it cleaned the contacts enough to clear the fault, it will still need to be reset.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts