RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. I noticed last night that when going around a curve at about 40MPH that the traction control light would come on and there would be a slight vibration. You let off the gas and it would stop. As long as you don't go around a corner to fast it doesn't do it. Also, it doesn't do it in the other direction. I can't be the first. Is this a common problem?

I took it home and got under it. Turning the wheel all the way to the right nothing, turn the wheel all the way to the left and the front of the vehicle would squat down a little bit and make a shhhh sound. Air bag? but I couldn't hear anything leaking. I couldn't find any noticeable play in the tie rods sway bar, etc... Thoughts?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,469 Posts
This will be a tire issue...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you please elaborate? How could it be a tire issue. The vibration actually felt like something to do with the traction control make an adjustment. Also the tires are brand new probably 95% tread left. Also, how would that make the car squat a little when turning the steering wheel all the way to the right. Not questioning you just doesn't make since to me so would like a little more info.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Generally, when the ABS kicks in if you are going around a corner, it's due to a traction issue, usually either worn tires, or a mismatched tire (spare), so the system believes it needs to kick in and you would feel this vibration as it activates. Are all of the tires exactly the same brand, same age, same pressure? No mis matches at all? On the other hand, you might be hearing the beginnings of a wheel bearing failure...and that can be more exaggerated when going around a turn with pressure on one side of the vehicle. Turning the wheel I presume with the engine running and you are hearing a sshhhh sound from where? Sure it's the airbag?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah all the tires are the same brand, pressure, etc... When the traction control activated it almost felt like a jake brake would on a 18 wheeler just on a smaller scale. The shhh should I couldnt tell where it was coming from but it was very brief. The weird thing to me was how if you turned it all the way to the left the hood of the car did not change position. I turned it all the way to the right and it squatted down about 1/2 inch which made me think it was something with the air bag.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Have you had any repairs done at all lately...changed a tire, rotated tires, loosened lug nuts, any work at all, had the car jacked up by yourself or a shop for any reason, someone else driving it, curbing the wheel, anything extraordinary? How long have you owned the car...do you have any history here of it behaving normally for a long period of time. Trying to isolate this to any particular recent event?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just bought the car and I am trying to figure out what it might be. I wish I had more information. It's not really causing much of an issue, but I know it's there. I checked the tires etc... last night everything is new, tight and seems to not have anything. There has to be a reason why the car squats a little when turning the wheel all the way. I guess I can at least take it and get it diagnosed and then go from there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sway Bars

OK, so I have asked this question a few different ways and the only answer I got was tire pressure, which I checked and is not the problem. I have a 2006 RRS LR3 lux edition. It has 130K miles on it. When driving and going around curves to the left after exiting the turn the car gets a little loose and pulls you in the other direction for a second. It is noticeable and feels like a bad sway bar or bushing. I got under the car this weekend and could not find anything noticeably moving around. For those of you who are experts what should I replace to fix this problem?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Re: Sway Bars

Any front wheel play at all when you lift her? Wheel hubs / bearings go bad in these cars - the front ones in particular - and if yours has 130K miles and still running on the original hubs, this may be an early sign one of them is starting to go. If that's the case, you may soon start hearing a faint whine or grinding sound coming from the front end.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I jacked it up last night. There was absolutely no play in wheel, not any at all. man I was sure based on the description that was it. Any other things to check? So far - bearings - not bad. I got under the vehicle and checked all the bushings and nothing was obviously bad and I shook all the connections and nothing felt loose. I am back to thinking maybe it could be the sway bar busings? Thoughts?

·
Registered
865 Posts

Sounds like you need to read the codes. This will point you in the general right direction. You will need more then a generic code reader for this.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Bad swaybar bushings squeak or sound like a tennis ball in a coffee can.

I've never had one wheel bearing that made noise exhibit play on a lift.

Not every code is connected to a light.

·
Registered
865 Posts

I'm confused there are no engine lights etc.. There are no codes being popped!
The codes are stored. The reason a light flashed is in there. Not sure about a traction control light but anything that trips a signal is stored even if the original warning light goes out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

OK, so got it back from a mechanic today. He said that the traction bar bushing is bad on the rear passenger side tire and needs replacement. I googled how to fix it and couldn't find anything. Anyone changed one of these?

·
Banned
224 Posts

OK, so got it back from a mechanic today. He said that the traction bar bushing is bad on the rear passenger side tire and needs replacement. I googled how to fix it and couldn't find anything. Anyone changed one of these?
If you're talking about the rear stabilizer bushings, the ALLDATA manual says it's simply a matter of unscrewing and lifting the body from the frame and then replacing the bushings, which are held on with 2 bolts on each side.

Hopefully someone has a better way.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts

That's accurate...it's just a bit awkward to get in there...but it can be done with patience. Just be sure not to bend the C-clamp too much getting the bushing out.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts

Malibugold - which dealer in DFW did you go to ... have you tried an indy shop called North British Texas that deals with LR/RR. By Irving/Dallas

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts

If you're talking about the rear stabilizer bushings, the ALLDATA manual says it's simply a matter of unscrewing and lifting the body from the frame and then replacing the bushings, which are held on with 2 bolts on each side.

Hopefully someone has a better way.
It can be done with out the body removal. Remove the wheel and it's accessible. A PITA but possible. Also found that once you have the vehicle on the lift, and say you are working the left bushing, put a transmission stand under the right wheel and lower the vehicle slightly. That takes the pressure off the left side and allows you to bolt the clamp on easier.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts

It can be done with out the body removal. Remove the wheel and it's accessible. A PITA but possible. Also found that once you have the vehicle on the lift, and say you are working the left bushing, put a transmission stand under the right wheel and lower the vehicle slightly. That takes the pressure off the left side and allows you to bolt the clamp on easier.
Excellent hint...jogged my memory of doing this several years ago... :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts