RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all I have a 1994 county lwb. I installed a Kenwood radio and cant seem to get any sound out to the speakers. I tried bypassing the amp and going straight to the speakers still nothing. I ohmed out wires to make sure they were correct as well, any ideas on what to try next

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
if you have bypassed the amp, you should have sound unless you have not tapped into the correct wires. RAVE and "the12volt.com" have always been a great help when it comes to wiring concerns.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that I'm now thinking something is wrong with the head unit when I disconnect the speaker I hear a buzzing sound. The wiring looks good

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
also, keep in mind of the harness adaptor needed, it is listed as VW and porsche but fits rover. you must use the RCA conversion plugs in the kit if you use the factory amp, this allows for subwoofer function. also you must connect the power antenna wire (normally blue or blue with stripe) as it turns on the amp and antenna reception amplifier as well (otherwise no radio reception).

when using this harness, keep and eye on the yellow and the red wires as on german cars they are reverse operation, that is on many vehicles the yellow wire is constant power for memory functions, on german the yellow wire is key power.

if you're bypassing the plug at the dash, you need to run speaker wires straight from the head unit to each speaker. and you loose the sub woofer function. personally I use the adapter plug harness, solder and heat shrink connections, that way there is no wire splicing into the vehicle thus less chance of mishaps.

there is always a bit of buzzing when using aftermarket head units, partial solution (you will never fully get rid of it) is to clean your grounds, some radio installers advise to run a new ground from radio to body. this did not work on mine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that although I did not use a new harness I did ohm out each wire and powered up the amp with the blue and white antenna feed still no sound. I also tried a speaker directly to the head unit with short wires out of the system and nothing so I think there is a problem with the kenwood KD138.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Thanks for that although I did not use a new harness I did ohm out each wire and powered up the amp with the blue and white antenna feed still no sound. I also tried a speaker directly to the head unit with short wires out of the system and nothing so I think there is a problem with the kenwood KD138.
said case you may be right, head unit is defective.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone have a link to the correct wiring harness for a RRC radio? My truck is a '91 but I imagine they are all the same?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Does anyone have a link to the correct wiring harness for a RRC radio? My truck is a '91 but I imagine they are all the same?
crutchfield has a listing for it. some earlier models did not have a harness fitting thus , you had to make your own by using crimp connectors.
I believe my old 87 model used bullet style connectors thus I had to crimp. personally I dislike cutting the factory terminals.
I think your model had 3 small pioneer amps, sub, front and rear speakers. I think the amps were under the front seats and on top of the sub.
has been quite a while since I worked on a vintage sound system. defective amps can give you a good amount of grief.

best of luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts