RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Posting this here because I didn’t find great info out there. Sorry for the short post, if you have questions just ask.

2001 P38 with HK system.

1. Pull sub. Bin it.

2. Pull factory amp behind the carpet. To bypass the amp: At the amp wiring hardness: cut yellow green and green yellow (front left large speaker) cut yellow black and yellow (front left head unit). Connect yellow black and yellow green and yellow and green yellow. Cut red black and red (front right head unit) cut green black and black green ( front right speaker). Bond together in same fashion to keep polarity. If you want your rear speakers you need to do those too (I didn’t). Cut both pairs of orange and orange black wires (sub head unit and sub speaker ) solder those together. Tuck the harness away. Sell it bin the amp.

CAA00CD8-CB12-4E1B-91CE-38C9CF9B69FB.jpg

3. Place a Kicker 10in compact sub on top of the spare tire (plenty of room!). Pull in orange/orange black from step 2, then from the old sub connector purple power, black earth, and blue(?) remote (forgot the color but it’s the last wire left on the harness). I can dig it back out if you have trouble here and snap a pic.

4. Pull both door panels. Replaced bass speakers with kicker CSC65 2-way 6.5 in units. Screwed right in to the factory speaker mounts. Disconnected the mid and high speakers.

5. Pull factory head unit. The used an off the shelf harness. Harness did not support a sub so wired up rca connector to the sub out on the unit to the orange/orange black wires from the old head unit.

Optional: Open beer and enjoy in the driveway.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Hi, thank you for this, I will try to do it the same way you did it, I will really like to know if you will tell me wich wires I have to connect to fix the rear speakers too. It could also be nice to the pic. You are talking about. It sounds very easy when you explain it all, so thank you for that.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Which Head Unit do you have KHN? I have installed an after market HU in a P38 HK system without cutting anything (well, one wire, on the incartech harness) and full use of sub and steering wheel. Clarion system PRC 7618 (pre DSP). Maybe add your car details to your profile/ signature

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don’t have a head unit right now, because I don’t know which one I have to buy, so I can have your setup. My car is a 2001 Range Rover 4.6 V8 Vogue.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
KHN, who are you referring to? The OP did a dump and run post with no details that sounds like a sales pitch for Kicker products and Keystone Light beer. :roll:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,220 Posts
That and it's a total hack about of everything. With a bit of planning, and bit more effort you can get a fully working system with the factory door speakers (they really don't sound that bad - as long as they're working and not seized!) and sub.

And you can use it with either a factory head unit or aftermarket.

I've done various posts/writeups over the years with everything from all the wire colours, pinouts etc through to information on replacing a faulty/missing DSP amplifier with the individual P38 door amplifiers and wiring it all in/running the extra wiring required. I ended up going that route as my P38 was missing the factory DSP amp and I'm more than satisfied with the results.

·
Registered
481 Posts
KHN - my Clarion post will not help you as we have different systems, but Marty NZs sticky will. Alternatively you could look at the incartech options - i think there was a harness for your system - you'll need the main one for the power and speaker connector, another one which will give you steering wheel controls, and then a small loop for whichever after market manufacturer you go for. Customer Service is v good, although they ain't so cheap

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The OP glossed over a bunch of things. Seems like he's using stock door amps which are not likely to sound great with a new HU or the new speakers. Subwoofer needs to rigidly mounted not just flopping around in the spare tire well. Why not mount it where the original was? Also, not sure about power requirements of the Kicker sub but should look at amperage and make sure the stock wire is big enough. Installation effects sound in a big way. I think the stock system is actually pretty decent but at the age of most P38's, there's probably at least one speaker with a bad cone by now. If it sounds bad, something is wrong.

·
Registered
233 Posts
OP appeared to have the single DSP HK amp.

I have door amps, and with antennuator circuits and an aftermarket head unit, it sounds fantastic. No interference, full range sound on all original HK speakers. I can have my doors shaking with no distortion. I've had a couple of drivers seize (one when I got this P38, and I think one since) - I've replaced with good working used units as there is no need to try anything else that may not match nicely.

I do have an aftermarket sub sat in the load space though, as the cones on my original had gone, and as I have the sub on a quick release speakon connector (amp mounted where a DSP amp would go), I can remove it quickly for extra load space.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Since my HK speakers and amps were all good, I used this low level unit to connect to the amps with no problem.
I didnt want to rewire and the sub is to the sub out on the radio(rca to wire). Still cranks full loud and I broke my pass rear midbass by accident when I took off door panel.
Should sound even better after I find a new speaker.
WP_20150127_005.jpg

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,220 Posts
Marty do you have any links i can look at. Best regards
If you're after the wiring pin outs etc for the HK system, then I did a write-up years ago, and the info is here:
https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/39653-info-p38-alpine-dsp-amp-connections-wiring.html

If you want more info about the replacement DSP amp idea I've come up with then the link in my signature goes to my webshop, where there is info on the DSP replacement, or there is a more in-depth write up of the idea behind it from when I first built one and tested it on one of my other P38s...

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/226218-dsp-amp-replacement-project.html

Marty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts