RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum here...

I just recently had a DMX706S radio installed in the ole Rover. Unfortunately, the technician did not know how to make the DVD players in the headrest work with the install. Any ideas or help on this would be appreciated. I would love to have them working again for my little girl.

2008 Range Rover L322 Supercharged

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
407 Posts
This is not a simple task so here's an alternative:

The most cost effective way to provide your passengers' entertainment is to buy one or two Samsung Galaxy (or equivalent) tablets and upload content suitable for mobile viewing.

You can store it/them in the seat back pocket behind the front seat and mobile charge as necessary from the 12v outlets in the rear of the center console.

Provide a decent set of earbuds/headphones and you have a modern, portable system for around $300 a side.

Alternatively, you'll likely spend way more than that just in labor trying to tie your head unit (not familiar with actual model) into an antiquated ICE system with small screens. No criticism of the system intended but it was outdated even when new.

I've repaired several of these L322 ICE systems to OE spec and frankly, by the time it's fixed, it's not been worth the time or money.

If you still want to do some digging, take the left rear trunk trim out and find the ICE module. It's vertically mounted and has several multi-pin plugs mounted in its forward-facing side. The headrests get their signal from that unit - you'll see a pair of appx 10mm square plugs with one rounded corner along with multiple blue and black multi-din cable connectors. Those 10mm connector cables go forward under the floor on the left side of the car to their connectors immediately under each seat. You will often need to remove both front seats to access those connectors if you're unable to raise the seats high enough to gain limited access underneath them.

If your new unit has an integral DVD and you're trying to get that output to the screens you could tie directly into them via the connectors under the front seats BUT you'd have to open up the plugs, using time-consuming trail and error.

The signal from the OE DVD player in the trunk is connected to the adjacent DVD module via a multi-pin cable. It's easy to spot once the left trunk trim panels are removed. That's the "loop" your ICE technician will somehow need to tie the signal from your new unit into if you're trying to retain the original DVD unit and merely wanting to control that from your new head unit.

Best of luck,

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tablet solution is prob the route to go... just keeping my steering wheel controls was an expensive option with the aftermarket radio. I think I'll go ahead and get her another Ipad and just keep it in the car ready to go at anytime. Not sure I'm looking to tear this car apart again... Like you said, the DVD headrest are not that great anyways.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts