RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm at 163K with my Range Rover, and although nothing is yet wrong, I am wanting to change the fuel pump for the sake of preventative maintenance. I've read about an aftermarket pump for the earlier Rovers, (Airtex E3270) but not sure if this will work with the Bosch injection. Is there by chance a Walbro pump that would work? Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,295 Posts
So I'm at 163K with my Range Rover, and although nothing is yet wrong, I am wanting to change the fuel pump for the sake of preventative maintenance. I've read about an aftermarket pump for the earlier Rovers, (Airtex E3270) but not sure if this will work with the Bosch injection. Is there by chance a Walbro pump that would work? Ideas anyone?
Right under your post there's a list of similar threads
First one "After market fuel pump for Bosch" discusses fitting a Walbro pump and has a link to this very item
http://www.fuelpumpfactory.com/Walbro-p/walbro-603.htm
Job done...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had seen that, but was wanting to hear if anyone has actually used that or a compatible pump. The fellow who posted that thread, wound up just buying another factory pump/sender assembly.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The beauty of using a factory unit is no messing around, remember the sender Unit for the fuel gauge is on the original pump housing, easily broken if your messing about installing non OE parts..

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
+1 on going stock for this one. I found a new unit for about 425 with free shipping.....This was about 4 years ago. I was tempted to go with an external pump as well, and it does make some sense. I would have saved about 150 bucks but it is a lot of mucking around to do a good safe job.
As it turned out, the wires to the pump as well as the sender were seriously degraded (Like, no insulation left!) by something the PO had put in the tank, so a new whole unit was the way to go........Remember, the sender has 160k on it as well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have one in my 2001 P38. I had to get one at my local parts store on a weekend, so i cross referenced the walbro part number to a Chevy Caprice, I think it was a 1996 model year.

It has been in my tank for 5 years and works great. The assembly was really easy to take apart, and it would be hard to screw up the sending unit, unless your only tool is a hammer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts