1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,671 Posts
I am leery of any eBay listing that doesn't know their product well enough to correctly list what years it fits. :roll:

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have a set of those, or something very similar. The racks themselves are fine, and do the job, the little sleeves that cover the gaps at the end of the adjustable cross racks are kind of cheap, and will crack on you in about a year. Haven't lost one yet but its only a matter of time. Finish on the front to back rails holds up well (so far) and they fit in the stock mounting hole with no issues. They are just roof racks, can't see spending 1K plus for a set of real land rover ones. They are pretty noisy (wind noise) on the highway if you open the sun roof, but I imagine thats no an aftermarket rack issue, and the rear most position for the cross racks blocks the GPS/Satelite Radio antenna, again not a fault of the racks as the stock ones do it as well.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have had several of these ive been using for parts to try to repair a factory rack. They are direct copies but not exact copies.

For example the mount which fits into the gutter is rubber and not hard nylon which means the rack is never mounted properly, nor carrying the load properly on the body mounts but on the actual roof gutter.

They do not use stainless hardware vs the LR rack which did. You do not get security allens for roof mounting vs the LR rack with uses a secure Allen head.

The plastics are cheap ABS or equivalent, not the heavier duty nylon the LR rack uses. The feet will loosen more quickly, making the crossbars wiggle.

I'm working to get some parts made to hybridize a chinese clone to the point its as sturdy as the factory rack (which still has its own yet different issues).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Personally I think if you buy a $180 roof rack that's what you'll get. I mulled this one over and eventually bought a genuine LR one for $700. I was pleased to note that the roof rails had "Made in Germany" stamped on them. All of the parts were premium, as was expected.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Personally I think if you buy a $180 roof rack that's what you'll get. I mulled this one over and eventually bought a genuine LR one for $700. I was pleased to note that the roof rails had "Made in Germany" stamped on them. All of the parts were premium, as was expected.
If you have a source for a genuine LR rack let me know. I have looked most everywhere and nobody has them anymore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can´t comment on the aftermarket roof rack quality, but as you can see from the original ones it suits the car well. I can´t imagine the aftermarket ones have another look.

My L322 is "Fantom Black"

·
Registered
210 Posts
I can´t comment on the aftermarket roof rack quality, but as you can see from the original ones it suits the car well. I can´t imagine the aftermarket ones have another look.
The only actual aftermarket rack is a Yakima or Thule (which do work, just only 30" bar spread).

The chinese copies look the same but fall apart quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
datafoo
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing