RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 truck with 115K miles. I have a cracked weld on the cat on bank 1 (passenger side on NAS truck). Getting tired of SES light coming and going at will. Unable get dealer to cover under warranty due to calendar time on truck, so up to me. Genuine is about $1600. Magnaflow is available from Atlantic British for about $675. Some say never get an aftermarket yet they offer a 25K mile warranty. Does anyone have any experience with these or other cats for these trucks? Would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Crickets out there! Nobody has any experience with aftermarket cats for the L322? Hesitant to pull the trigger, but Magnaflow exhaust has decent rep. Currently can get with free shipping.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Never used aftermarket cheapy cats but went with the Magnaflow for my 2005, I only replaced one for P0420 code on bank 2 passenger. It still was working 40k miles later when I sold it a month or so ago.

My 2004s cat cracked and was making a puffing noise with same P0420 and I went to the local breakers yard and for $100 I cut off a used OE cat and that has also been working.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never used aftermarket cheapy cats but went with the Magnaflow for my 2005, I only replaced one for P0420 code on bank 2 passenger. It still was working 40k miles later when I sold it a month or so ago.

My 2004s cat cracked and was making a puffing noise with same P0420 and I went to the local breakers yard and for $100 I cut off a used OE cat and that has also been working.
Thanks for the input! Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have heard people having success welding the cracks. If you have isolated the cracks and can get a decent picture on your phone take the phone to a muffler shop or body shop and ask them if they can help (or else just drive the truck in).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heard people having success welding the cracks. If you have isolated the cracks and can get a decent picture on your phone take the phone to a muffler shop or body shop and ask them if they can help (or else just drive the truck in).
That was my initial inclination but was told it was illegal and that those that tried anyway suffered continued failure at the same point.

·
Administrator
27,798 Posts
KG is dead on. Many folks here have had the seam split and had it welded. I haven't heard of anyone having failures down the road.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. I will check it out. Would a muffler shop be best?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Any good welder can handle it - even a mediocre welder. I have found that body shops have the best welders. Who do you know that can weld if anyone? Ask your mechanic. Take a picture of the leak and show it off. The picture will tell the welder the access s/he has and what needs to be done. Otherwise remove the unit and drive around until you find the right guy/gal and price.

·
Administrator
27,798 Posts
Who you want to hunt out are the dive muffler shops that have been around for 40, 50 or so years. the old codgers that run these places can easily rebuild Packard, Hudson and Studebaker exhaust systems. They can remove rear silencers and add straight pipes with stainless tips in their sleep. They don't give a rip about EPA crap and will gladly charge you around $25 to weld your crack shut. Chances are you will never have another issue during the time you own the rig. These old farts know what they are doing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, had success at a custom exhaust place this morning. Dropped the right cat and welded the crap out of the offending area. Was in and out in and hour. $125. In our area, that's dirt cheap. Thanks for the idea!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts