RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2012 Supercharged RRS needs new rotors/pads all around. My local JLR dealer wants a laughable $2.5k.
I figured I could do it for MUCH cheaper but was surprised to find that just the OEM parts kit from Atlantic British is $1150
https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8841G

There are plenty of non-oem kits around. Here's one for $402.
https://www.amazon.com/PowerSport-Drilled-Slotted-Ceramic-BBCC-22021-02/dp/B017WQ77GY

Does anyone have any experience with non-oem brakes like these? I'm worried that there must be some reason (beyond opportunism) that there is such a price difference. Reviews seem generally good but I've seen a very few bad reviews on some of the cheaper kits that talk about rotors warping etc. Are there known brands to avoid? How can I get this done with peace of mind but also not paying thousands?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am not a fan of the factory brake pads and only use Porterfield RS-4 pads. They last way longer that stock and holds better as well. I do however use the original rotors and sensors which I source from AB/EBay/Amazon, whoever has it cheaper when I’m buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am not a fan of the factory brake pads and only use Porterfield RS-4 pads. They last way longer that stock and holds better as well. I do however use the original rotors and sensors which I source from AB/EBay/Amazon, whoever has it cheaper when I’m buying. The even better thing about the porterfields is the fact that they extremely low dust.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What makes you say it needs new rotors? I went with the EBC "Green Stuff" pads from Amazon and re-used everything else. They are quiet, put out less dust, stop great and came with this nifty abrasive coating that scuffed the rotor surface up for a better bed-in cycle. Been on for 8 months, really working great.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was tempted to try ebc green or yellow but went back with porterfields. Just bought a set last week, being delivered on Thursday so I already know what I’m doing on Saturday.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
Textar 2465901 2508501 or Jurid 573343j 573342j and are what i use for pads. For rotors i almost always use Textar high carbon coated rotors HH21154 and HH21153. I have put them on hundreds of cars including my own without issue or complaint.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I used Delphi in my 2013 RRS SC, absolutely no difference VS OEM in stopping and pedal feel, and just as squeaky under light touch :) so annoying, not even funny, but squealing was carried over. My friendly LR tech says that BREMBOs do tend to be squeelly but here comes the spring - means open windows. If anyone knows the cure, please chip in.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
14 Posts
I replaced all 4 brake pads and rotors with upgraded aftermarket, $430 for the whole set including sensor and did it myself, went with drilled rotors to aid cooling as the factory brakes seem to get soft to me. Did mine over a year ago with no issues. Dealer wanted $1300+ which is a joke

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
Do it yourself for somewhere between $150 to $450, depending on whether you really need new rotors. How many miles? I used TRW pads on my 08 with Brembos. Easy job. Take your time. Hardest part is replacing the wear sensors.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
409 Posts
Just remember - LandRover does not make brake discs o r pads - so they are getting "OEM" from Textar or some major vendor like that. I used EBC with no issues , but the stop tech stuff squeals . Maybe that was just a 1 off issue - but personally I would go with one of the typical OE suppliers iike Pagid (I believe Textar an d Jurid are from the same parent co Hella. ) Good pads and rotors at less than OEM price. Check rock auto .

·
Registered
91 Posts
Porterfields just showed up. Changing them tomorrow.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does your RRS not have the Brembo package? I have a 2012 RRS GT Limited Edition and use Ferodo pads with Eurostar rotors. Absolutlely fantastic combination. Stops on a dime. Rock Auto has a great selection and really reasonable prices!

·
Registered
91 Posts
New brakes and rotors installed all around. Decided to put back on my summer 22” Kahn wheels as well.

57506737015__F6B4BE28-A7B2-405D-B809-07822B7D576D.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does your RRS not have the Brembo package? I have a 2012 RRS GT Limited Edition and use Ferodo pads with Eurostar rotors. Absolutlely fantastic combination. Stops on a dime. Rock Auto has a great selection and really reasonable prices!
Yes it does. I just noticed those appear to be too small so presumably for the standard brake models even though Amazon (incorrectly?) says it fits my supercharged.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just ordered this full kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-Full-Brembo-Brake-Kit-Disc-Rotors-Ceramic-Pads-For-Range-Rover-Sport/352616665861

I'm already half-expecting something will be wrong though as $422 seems suspiciously cheap after looking at the prices of other full kits, but these are supposedly genuine Brembo brand parts and according to everything I can find at least, are definately for the bigger supercharged brakes.

I will post back with an update after they arrive and (if OK) get fitted.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Above Brembo kit now fitted fine. Brakes work great, also all squeaking has been cured. (the OEM brakes had always been prone to squeaking especially in reverse, not just because the pads were worn out).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Even local dealer told me to go to an indy shop as they would charge about $2000. Soooo... bought OEM Brembo rotors and Ferodo pads. Labor plus parts about $800... And so far so good....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just ordered this full kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-Full-Brembo-Brake-Kit-Disc-Rotors-Ceramic-Pads-For-Range-Rover-Sport/352616665861

I'm already half-expecting something will be wrong though as $422 seems suspiciously cheap after looking at the prices of other full kits, but these are supposedly genuine Brembo brand parts and according to everything I can find at least, are definately for the bigger supercharged brakes.

I will post back with an update after they arrive and (if OK) get fitted.
Just installed these and they feel great so far. Will bed them in and circle back with any issues.
Glad I went this route instead of the $1,100 OEM version.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts