RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know where to source these? I bought a pair of black side grills from Supertweaks but I can't seem to find anyone selling the hood vents in all black. I have a Dynamic SC so I have the black/silver version. OEM SVR hood vents seem to be around $600, which seems ridiculous for what is essentially a piece of painted plastic. If I can't find a pair, I might end up painting my existing pair. Has anyone done this or know what it costs to have this done?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Does anybody know where to source these? I bought a pair of black side grills from Supertweaks but I can't seem to find anyone selling the hood vents in all black. I have a Dynamic SC so I have the black/silver version. OEM SVR hood vents seem to be around $600, which seems ridiculous for what is essentially a piece of painted plastic. If I can't find a pair, I might end up painting my existing pair. Has anyone done this or know what it costs to have this done?

They're easy to remove, I had mine painted along with the side vents and grille. It was part of an accident repair, so the guy threw it in if I gave him the pieces off the vehicle. They look much better, in my opinion - I went with body-colored. Why not just remove them and have a body shop paint them? Can't imagine it would be more than $100

·
Registered
88 Posts
I painted my hood and side vents myself, or at least the inner mesh bits. I took them completely apart by grinding away the back bits of the melted plastic pins so I could prep them properly, then painted them in the colour I wanted. I used good quality aerosol paint, and gave them 3 or 4 layers of clear lacquer. Changed the whole look of the vehicle:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you looked on Jaguar Land Rover Reno, also how is the quality of the side wings ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quality is great, look exactly like OEM but in gloss black. The tabs were all correct and it fit with no issues. Took about 5 mins to take off the existing fins with a trim remover tool I bought off Amazon and then snapped in the aftermarket pieces. Let me know if you want some pics.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I painted my hood and side vents myself, or at least the inner mesh bits. I took them completely apart by grinding away the back bits of the melted plastic pins so I could prep them properly, then painted them in the colour I wanted. I used good quality aerosol paint, and gave them 3 or 4 layers of clear lacquer. Changed the whole look of the vehicle:)
Can you go into more detail about how you took them apart and prepped them? Did you sand the inner mesh? And what paint/lacquer you used? Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just ordered a new set, I originally had the HSE silver ones, and bought the ATB silver with black, but now going all black, hope quality is good, I'll start looking for the hood pieces too

·
Registered
88 Posts
Can you go into more detail about how you took them apart and prepped them? Did you sand the inner mesh? And what paint/lacquer you used? Thanks!
On the back of the vent there are some pins that have their ends melted to keep them together(see photo). If you grind these carefully then you can split the vent so that you only paint the middle mesh bit without having to worry about the rest. My vents were originally black, but I painted the middle bit red.
I can't remember the paint brand I used, but just buy a good quality automotive type aerosol and it should do fine. Just remember to leave them a good 24 hours or more so that the paint has time to harden, otherwise you will get fingerprints when reassembling them.

PS. You don't have to grind off the outer edge(top circle on picture) pins of you are only removing the middle mesh bit, then you just concentrate on the inner pins(bottom circles on photo)
vent3.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
got it, Ill try to that this weekend
Good luck:D
The bonus when taking them apart is that you don't get any over-spray on the matt black part underneath, so it looks like a professional job.
A tip when spraying with an aerosol, if you get a white-ish haze in the coat, is to use some heat. Either a heat gun or a heater fan. The white haze is apparently from moisture and applying a careful amount of heat removes it :wink:

·
Registered
101 Posts
are they hard to remove from the hood? received the ones from super tweaks they look great, but removing the old ones I damaged the tabs, just wanted to check if the Hood pieces are not very fragile also

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
are they hard to remove from the hood? received the ones from super tweaks they look great, but removing the old ones I damaged the tabs, just wanted to check if the Hood pieces are not very fragile also
Really easy, about to paint them today. Just popped off the hood vents using my trim remover kit. See pics: https://imgur.com/a/As0saxl. They actually come off easier than the side vents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts