Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover Sport Super Charge 200k miles
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start by saying I don't know a ton about about the inter workings of any car but I find it fascinating. I need to replace my left catalytic converter. My mechanic is fantastic and has kept my old guy running for some time. He called Land Rover parts and they want nearly $5k for the part. I replaced the right side for $1,400 two years ago. Do I have to buy this part from Land Rover? He think it will cause more problems if we don't use Land Rover parts. I bought my car brand new and I need to get another year at least out of it. I work from home so most of my travel is local. 2008 Range Rover Sport Super Changed 200K miles. Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
637 Posts
I think you can safely install aftermarket CAT that is specifically made for this vehicle. Not all CATs are equal though,
there is something like California standard CAT and the rest of the world standard CAT. Yes, that California, that has thousands of square miles of forest burning up due to poor forest management and has poop department created solely for cleaning up human crap from public streets, but dictates that your vehicle must be extra less polluting. Anyway, I would assume new, non California compliant CAT will be whole lot more effective then OEM CAT from 2008 that neutralized 200k ml worth of exhaust. Only concern would be if you do only one, is having two different types of CATs on left and right banks as they may have slightly different backpressure/flow rate - I am not sure how happy would engine be about that because one side could run more fuel lean/reach then other.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only concern would be if you do only one, is having two different types of CATs on left and right banks as they may have slightly different backpressure/flow rate - I am not sure how happy would engine be about that because one side could run more fuel lean/reach then other.
Thats a great point!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
675 Posts
Thats a great point!
They have both, aftermarket, on Rockauto for approx 400 each. You could replace both left and right cats 5 times for the price of the one in your first post. Use your head meat, it's a car not a multidimensional space craft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They have both, aftermarket, on Rockauto for approx 400 each. You could replace both left and right cats 5 times for the price of the one in your first post. Use your head meat, it's a car not a multidimensional space craft.
Head meat is currently clouded. I'm not spending $5k but looking for options. I see we have similar trucks - mine a year older, have you replaced your CAT using a aftermarket part?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
137 Posts
If you replace the cat with an aftermarket unit that has been CARB tested for that year make and model, it will have the exact same flow rate as the factory cat and will pass inspection.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Another choice is Magnaflow. They do make a cat for the RRS, it's about $211, might be able to pick it up from an indy shop in the area

Check out: MagnaFlow OEM Grade Federal / EPA Compliant Universal Catalytic Conver
OK, That MAGNAFLOW is universal CAT, that supposedly, you cut off your original CAT and weld this one instead.
You, obviously have never see the the portion of exhaust pipe with CAT in Range Rover Sport. The way CAT housing is formed, how and where it attaches to the piping, how piping bends and turns, otherwise you 100% would no consider that to be a possible option. Just google 2013 RRS CAT > Images, see what I am talking about.
Besides, there are complete units on the market custom made to bolt on and cost around 500-600 ea., why would you get involved with welding universal CAT in really complex plumbing arrangement?

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you replace the cat with an aftermarket unit that has been CARB tested for that year make and model, it will have the exact same flow rate as the factory cat and will pass inspection.
1) It (Meaning aftermaket CAT) most likely will not be CARB i.e. California Emissions Compliant.
2) Lets assume he gets one that it is CARB compliant, are you saying that NEW CARB CAT will have same flow rate as Original Factory CAT that neutralized 200,000 worth of exhaust gasses, with burned carbonized particles that trapped in there for all these years and miles? I'd out that. and OP seems to understand the point I am making completely.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
OK, That MAGNAFLOW is universal CAT, that supposedly, you cut off your original CAT and weld this one instead.
You, obviously have never see the the portion of exhaust pipe with CAT in Range Rover Sport. The way CAT housing is formed, how and where it attaches to the piping, how piping bends and turns, otherwise you 100% would no consider that to be a possible option. Just google 2013 RRS CAT > Images, see what I am talking about.
Besides, there are complete units on the market custom made to bolt on and cost around 500-600 ea., why would you get involved with welding universal CAT in really complex plumbing arrangement?
I have not see it done ... i took it to a shop that did it on mine, and they did sell the magnaflow cat there too, that why i recommended it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Head meat is currently clouded. I'm not spending $5k but looking for options. I see we have similar trucks - mine a year older, have you replaced your CAT using a aftermarket part?
My truck is low kms so I'm just starting to see the failure of my passenger one. I am looking at replacing both and will get the aftermarket ones welded in or the bolt on and do it myself if the labor is too much cash.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My truck is low kms so I'm just starting to see the failure of my passenger one. I am looking at replacing both and will get the aftermarket ones welded in or the bolt on and do it myself if the labor is too much cash.
Hi, would please describe "Starting to see the failure", what are the visible symptoms?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi, would please describe "Starting to see the failure", what are the visible symptoms?
I have a hesitation on harsh acceleration with an sulfury smell after supercharging followed by intermittent check engine code for catalyst failure.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If your truck has less than 125,000 kms then the warranty covers the cats.
I had one reoplaced just before 125 Kms. Still see below efficiency lurking in the background but almost never triggering the EML.

·
Registered
675 Posts
If your truck has less than 125,000 kms then the warranty covers the cats.
I had one reoplaced just before 125 Kms. Still see below efficiency lurking in the background but almost never triggering the EML.
I'm up at about 180,000kms now, no idea as I swapped in an US cluster with miles. I will likely grab the aftermarket ones off rockauto or similar. With Covid my truck is sitting undriven in my driveway most of the time anyway.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2005 L322, 2008 L320, 2022 Defender 110 on order
2 Posts
I want to start by saying I don't know a ton about about the inter workings of any car but I find it fascinating. I need to replace my left catalytic converter. My mechanic is fantastic and has kept my old guy running for some time. He called Land Rover parts and they want nearly $5k for the part. I replaced the right side for $1,400 two years ago. Do I have to buy this part from Land Rover? He think it will cause more problems if we don't use Land Rover parts. I bought my car brand new and I need to get another year at least out of it. I work from home so most of my travel is local. 2008 Range Rover Sport Super Changed 200K miles. Thank you for any help!
I too am in search of cat converters, left & right for an 08 L320, 138K miles. 30 days ago passed smog in Cali and now left and right both came up bad. For new oem Land Rover Merriam parts (Shop OEM Land Rover Parts & Accessories | Land Rover Merriam Parts) in Kansas give the wholesale price for all parts. OEM left $1773 and right $1707. These are the costs given to my local mechanic as well. Unfortunately as of today there are no after-market cats C.A.R.B. compliant for this year but supposedly coming out in a couple of months. I hope I hope. At least this is what I've been told. Good luck!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I too am in search of cat converters, left & right for an 08 L320, 138K miles. 30 days ago passed smog in Cali and now left and right both came up bad. For new oem Land Rover Merriam parts (Shop OEM Land Rover Parts & Accessories | Land Rover Merriam Parts) in Kansas give the wholesale price for all parts. OEM left $1773 and right $1707. These are the costs given to my local mechanic as well. Unfortunately as of today there are no after-market cats C.A.R.B. compliant for this year but supposedly coming out in a couple of months. I hope I hope. At least this is what I've been told. Good luck!
Looking at $3500 bill, I'd probably go to Copart, find similar - up 2009 RRS that is physically damaged but with 60-70K miles, buy it, carry over CATS and anything else you could possibly want, sell the rest of the car for parts - make up the money. Obviously this works if you have where to store it, i.e. if you live in apartment complex, it will not work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts