RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Mechanic change the rear pads and rotors on my '17....After coming to a stop and taking off especially in a turn, I can hear and feel the brakes release with a slight clunk....it almost sounds as if the ebrake is on and then coming off....I have driven the truck over 500 miles and applied and released the ebrake a few times in a row....I have not brought it back to the shop yet....anyone come across this before? Could the main brakes be dragging or not retracting fully when the pedal is released...?

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts
I had my Mechanic change the rear pads and rotors on my '17....After coming to a stop and taking off especially in a turn, I can hear and feel the brakes release with a slight clunk....it almost sounds as if the ebrake is on and then coming off....I have driven the truck over 500 miles and applied and released the ebrake a few times in a row....I have not brought it back to the shop yet....anyone come across this before? Could the main brakes be dragging or not retracting fully when the pedal is released...?
could definitely be that... if the slide pins where not clean and free moving that could be the case or it could be something different altogether. Bring it back in to him. Do not drive it until it is looked at, if something more is wrong or out of place you could cause more of a problem and possible void warranty.
Depending on issue of course. just be safe rather than sorry...

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
331 Posts
Did you bed them in correctly? The pads and rotors have to learn to be friends, and that means a few full ABS stops.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts
bedding the brakes does involve a bit more than just a few hard stops ...But that would not be the reason for any noise. it is important tho, most people do not do this...

Are you sure that he changes the rotors? old rotors would have become worn and they leave a lip on the outer edge that if you do not use pads that are beveled for this reason they will rub until they grind down. just spitballing here if you have access to a jack lift the vehicle and turn the wheels to see if it turns free without any excess noise. I still say bring it in to him and have him recheck it.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
20 Posts
Definitely sounds like the EBrake riding the Rotor. If you do not know how to readjust the ebrake. I would take it back to the shop. Although you put 500 miles on the truck since the service. The mechanic might be a little hesitant that the issue was caused by him. If he didnt put the ebrake in to service mode. he could of messed with one of the components in the ebrake assembly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts