RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Touch the EAS compressor without burning yourself?

Just wondering as mine gets quite hot after a journey :coffee:

Appreciate any and all replies.

H

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ay up enners!
Mine does and I've had new sensors and it's been leveled and leveled...
If you take the silencer off the block and while your out and about you can monitor the compressors behavior. If it cuts blows off frequently it means the suspension is busy adjusting as you know. This is how I was led to a dodgy sensor that was flickering at motorway height. I checked the both front front sensors and found the font right sensor would flicker when moved slowly through its sweep. When left in the bad area it would jump up and down minutely by itself. In theory the ecu would try to adjust this and lift and lower the bus.. Hence over use of my bloody compressor o_O
Remove the silencer and commence observations! ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
You've got a leak, or a worn compressor.

Rebuild kits are low cost. There are low cost sellers in China; avoid them and go straight to X8R on eBay. Their kits have the right O-rings supplied. Ask me how I know.

But, as always, diagnose the issue first!

Find the leak or fault correctly, then take action and search the threads about fitting the new o-rings in the compressor head first; if you don't get that right the compressor will wear quickly.

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
You've got a leak, or a worn compressor.

Rebuild kits are low cost. There are low cost sellers in China; avoid them and go straight to X8R on eBay. Their kits have the right O-rings supplied. Ask me how I know.

But, as always, diagnose the issue first!

Find the leak or fault correctly, then take action and search the threads about fitting the new o-rings in the compressor head first; if you don't get that right the compressor will wear quickly.

Tom
I agree on the xr8 kits. ;)
Also à good fellow bus driver supplies a piston and seals for your compressor if needed.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,198 Posts
I guess it depends on how hot people thing is too hot? Maybe an IR thermometer to get an accurate readout would be useful?

The thermal switch on the compressor is set to cut out at 120C... and it's living in an engine bay where the ambient temperature after a long run is probably fairly high aswell. So it wouldn't take much in my mind for it to get hot enough to not want to actually be able to hold your hand on it after a long journey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts