RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first of all I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I don't mind tinkering here and there. I hear the horror stories, but I understand that those can sometimes be blown out of proportion. I'm looking at a 07 Sport Supercharged that is in pretty nice condition considering the miles. The Dealership just serviced it with the following items - Coolant Level Sensor, Trans Link Repair, Air Suspension Pump and Compressor Kit w/ drier, Both Front Wheel Hub Bearings. They said that it doesn't burn or leak any oil. What's your thoughts on this? Can be had for about 14.5k. Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
Majority of big ticket items are fixed may have other issues like control arms or sway bar bushings but easy to fix and not too expensive. I can't speak to the potential SC or Dynamic Response issues but I say go for it. Just go into it knowing you will get poor milage and spend time working on it and love it anyway. I have no regrets with my 06 HSE and 142K happy miles. If you get it post pics. Good luck.

'06 RRS LUX

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Just a tid bit of info, I will be using this as a Daily Driver. 20 miles a day. So, the things that usually go wrong with these. Are they things that would leave you stranded or are they small things that can be taken care of when time allows? Usually, I would do a TON of research before purchasing something like this, but I'm on a extreme time crunch to find something!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have spent $500 simply having modules calibrated. I purchased a cut rate diag tool from Atlantic British and it sucks.

I would get an IIDTool right off the bat, I wish I had done that, and know I should now, I just don't like parting with $500 but I eventually will.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
I would say you are fine as a daily driver. I can't think of anything that would leave you on he side of the road but I will defer to owners of SC models.

'06 RRS LUX

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How are the transmissions on these? Anything to worry about with higher mileage?

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
No problems with mine. I think they are fairly robust overall. Some guys change the fluid and filter even though JLR says it is a lifetime filter and fluid. I know there is a TSB for something minor to prevent a leak but thats about it.

'06 RRS LUX

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my 2006 supercharged about 7 months ago when it had 136k on it. I am also an enthusiast who likes to tinker and enjoy making minor repairs. I actually went to just test drive it and once I saw it in person and drove it I loved it. It handled great and had the quickest shift time in any automatic I have owned even quicker then my 06' E55-AMG paddle shifter in Sport mode. I will add that I use the Sport mode as intended quite often I love the power in the lower gears and the blower has a nice subtle whine to it.
Two things maybe to be weary of as you inspect it. I am currently having an intermittent issue with the Transfer Case Control module which I explain in detail here http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-range-rover-sport-l320/204761-2006-sport-supercharged-stuck-park-several-faults.html

,it left me stuck in park literally blocking traffic with no way to safely move it off the road.The dealership is not any help being an hour away it is more then a hassle to get it there and they cant even tell me how long it will take to fix. The module is located directly behind the battery on my 2006. It corroded because the plastic cover that protects it, along with the main power distribution entry for the truck is held on by two small, weak plastic clips that broke off obviously when being serviced. This item should be a recall as I am reading about numerous issues this water entry causes.

The only other thing I have noticed that just kind of pisses me off is it doesn't like to shift into 1st gear until at a complete stop so coming to a stop light that turns green when you hit the gas it kind of clunks on me which feels like a quick downshift it should have already made. if that makes any sense. It may just need a minor tranny adjustsment after the 143k I have on it now but if this helps or if you notice these issues I would be happy to hear your outcome with them.

As someone stated above the truck is still awesome and I would rather push my Rover to failure then sport, say a comparable Hyundai that could be had brand new with a 10 year 100k warranty for 18.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have spent $500 simply having modules calibrated. I purchased a cut rate diag tool from Atlantic British and it sucks.

I would get an IIDTool right off the bat, I wish I had done that, and know I should now, I just don't like parting with $500 but I eventually will.
Besides lowering the vehicle, what else does this device do?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts