RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -
I am faced with a dilemma that I am trying to make odds and ends of. I have a 2008 RRS HSE non-supercharged that I bought primarily to take on a cross-country road trip from Los Angeles to Maine. With a work engagement requiring my presence here for 3 months, I figured I'd enjoy my time away from home and bring a car for myself to use.

-- Preface --
The Rover is **** near mint; aside from some small scratches on the bumpers. The previous owner bought it new from LR in 08 and has serviced it since new only with their local LR dealer in Southern California. His wife passed and after having it sit in his garage for 6 months, decided to put it for sale. - Prior to sale it had a dead battery (obviously from sitting so long) so it went one last time to the LR dealer for service. $3,000 later he got his car back with a new battery, alternator, water pump, and radiator hoses. A big bonus for me! I managed to snag this car for under $10k and after some serious post-purchase digging through the engine and drivetrain found this thing was mint! Spark plugs, belts, hoses, mounts, bushings, brakes, tires, etc all perfect! -- Therefore this thing was a real gem and I couldn't help but to say "WOW was this a lucky purchase!"

Due to its age, and the Rover sporting nearly 123k on the odometer, I decided pre-roadtrip to have the differentials, transfer case, power steering fluid, radiator fluid, and brake fluids all replaced. In addition to that had Arnott send me 4 replacement shock/air bags to replace the old ones on the car. Thus making the car near new mechanically!

At the time of purchase on my way home, I found the transmission to be throttle hunting. At highway speeds if you pressed the gas pedal, the RPMS would drop 150-200 rpms and end up not providing power. -- Almost like having a manual car in 6th gear outside of its power band. Therefore I cleaned the Throttle body, and MAF sensor thinking maybe it was just dirty. That didn't help.. I could feel when coming to a stop that 2-1 gear changes were harsh. Taking off 1-2 was slow to change, and when accelerating under load the car was a bit lumpy in power delivery. (Signs of a slipping clutch.) Going back to the throttle fluctuation, I noticed it also would happen at certain speeds in city driving; requiring the car to downshift for it to provide the requested power my right foot was asking for.

In manual and SPORT mode, the car shifted fine. No oddities within the gear changes and the car felt very awake. Doing some searching of the forums it seemed this was a common thing with failing transmissions. The culprits usually were the valve body, E-clutch, or Torque Converter lockout.

So before embarking on my cross country journey I ordered Rover Parts.com transmission pan and filter kit. I took the Rover down to an independent shop to have them work with me to change out the filter, fluid and pan. We filled it to the instructions given by Roverparts' Youtube DIY and gave the Rover a test drive. No changes were felt, same symptoms... Then took the Rover to the dealer for them to do an adaptation. It felt a hair better, but nothing day/night different. Fast forward to our road trip, and it continued to show the same symptoms. -- Meanwhile my form readings all were pointing me in the direction of a tranny rebuild/replacement. YIKES!

The past several weeks here in Maine, I decided to try and venture out to some local tranny shops to see what they would charge for a tranny overhaul. Surprisingly none of them wanted to play ball. Even independent Euro shops said no way Jose do we touch those. AAMCO quoted a TQ replacement for $3800 no, valve body or clutch replacing, and shop time of 23 hours!
-- Question: --
My work engagement has now brought me up to Montreal for implementation support in our Canadian campus, and I figured why not stop at the local dealer for an oil change? -- They called me later after dropping the car off and said I had two codes in the tranny; Incorrect Gear Ratio, and something about slip fault detected.
They quoted me $6000-6500 USD to replace the entire tranny with a new one from ZF..... Here's the dilemma. This is cheapest place i've found to do a complete tranny replacement. My SoCal LR dealer told me these things go for $8k. So... given that the car is mint, paid off, and otherwise has proven itself solid. Should I dump 70% of what I paid for it into a new tranny, or dump the thing at the nearest CarMax? If I replace the tranny, obviously my plan to ship it home after my engagement would still happen, and i'd have an 11 year old, 130k Rover that has a new tranny in it.

I guess what has my decision up in the air is, what else on this car could possibly go wrong? All recommended services from LR were done by the Prev Owner. He didn't skimp on anything. The cars interior is perfect, no cracks on dash, or beaten up leather seats. Its mint. Engine seems fine. Drivetrain is solid, and unlike my 2013 RRS SC, this engine can actually be worked on without needing a PHD.

With that I ask my fellow LR enthusiasts... To replace, or not to replace?

**Pics of from our roadtrip. We stopped in Moab, UT and took the Rover through some 4x4 trails to see if it was truly worthy of its LR badge.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
66 Posts
Eek that's quite a pickle you're in. If I were you, I'd take the L and CarMax it. Another option is seeing if a junkyard has a replacement transmission that can be dropped in...i know my local LR shop was suggesting that when my torque converter would slip. I've told myself if there is a $3000+ problem with my RRS, I'm dumping it.

Beautiful Rangie btw!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
27 Posts
Sounds like you are otherwise very happy with it, so the question then is, what else can you replace it with that's anywhere near as nice for $7k, with recent and known service history?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
863 Posts
I would look around for a good used transmission and get the shop to swap it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gents for the feedback. It was a hard decision to make, given the cars age/value. However we decided to go forward with having the dealer put in the new ZF. The wife and I figured it would be the best value considering its perfect track record and previous life.

Stay tuned for updates on how it drives!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts