RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone i am looking at this 98' Range Rover HSE and need some advice as i have never owned a Land Rover before.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/1990896385.html

From what i understand through email and a little research is that the dealer suggested Heater Core needs to be looked at but doesnt know for sure and has to rip into the dash costing $1600 at the local shop.
Currently the heater is bypassed...
At this price point do you guys think i have a big problem here or am i going to get myself in over my head with problems, i need a reliable family car right now and this guy sure looks nice? :snooty: :think:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,759 Posts
If you "need" reliability look elsewhere. Most likely the heatercore is fine and jsut needs new ORings. It's an afternoon project and will cost under $10 to do it yourself.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,759 Posts
You can always have the great folks at PDX Rovers take a look at it and give you an upfront and open opinion on it. Ask for Francis Watson he is a terrific gent to work with. Hopefully he won;t be at their Bend location if you stop in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rrtoadhall said:
You can always have the great folks at PDX Rovers take a look at it and give you an upfront and open opinion on it.
Yeah the seller deals with one of the notable dealers up in Portland and told me that the dealer said that its most likely something to do with the heater core or o-rings , but wouldnt know for sure until he "rip into the dash to find out which it is" "he thinks its a chance it may just be the o-rings"...

How long can this puppy drive safetly with the bypass heater and this current issue ?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,759 Posts
You can bypass the heater core indefinately. However when that cold air hits in January you're goinna be freezin your Willamette fanny off! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rrtoadhall said:
You can bypass the heater core indefinately. However when that cold air hits in January you're goinna be freezin your Willamette fanny off! :mrgreen:
True That!!! :mrgreen:
So overall if the o-ring or even the heater core is all i have to worry about , do you think this is a pretty good deal?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,759 Posts
At that price I would take it since it has full service history to review. I love the interior except for the mismatching bits of wood colour adn aftermarket radio, but those are little things. You'll find when snow hits through the valley you will be super happy with a Rangie. I have driven between Seattle and Portland in a couple of hefty snows and wouldn;t want it any other way.

If you get the old girl look up the PCRC as they have pub meetings every month and a few great family friendly runs each year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rrtoadhall said:
At that price I would take it since it has full service history to review. I love the interior except for the mismatching bits of wood colour adn aftermarket radio, but those are little things. You'll find when snow hits through the valley you will be super happy with a Rangie. I have driven between Seattle and Portland in a couple of hefty snows and wouldn;t want it any other way.

If you get the old girl look up the PCRC as they have pub meetings every month and a few great family friendly runs each year.
Thanks for the feedback
Im seriously considering picking up this beauty!
Cheers

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
If you "need" reliability look elsewhere.
I dont agree in any form whats so ever......

like any other vehicle the complexity is what confusses many on these vehicles.
Soon I'll be doing a nice little write up on my blog whats its like to operate a P38 over a two year period, the pros and cons of it all

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,759 Posts
viperover said:
rrtoadhall said:
If you "need" reliability look elsewhere.
I dont agree in any form whats so ever......

like any other vehicle the complexity is what confusses many on these vehicles.
Soon I'll be doing a nice little write up on my blog whats its like to operate a P38 over a two year period, the pros and cons of it all
In the three plus years I have had with my current P38 I would agree. I have had only a few early EAS gripes and then a busted oil pump gear. However most people will find a P38 to be far beyond what they are willing to take on if they "need" reliability. Although many of us have had somewhat issue free ownership, many have not. It is a total luck of the draw when it comes to landing a reliable P38 as they continue to age.

·
Registered
533 Posts
And here in the States, part pricing is a huge problem. I read all the time about how easy it is to find spare parts in Australia, or Africa. Here, it is not as easy on the quick, and certainly not cheap. And for anyone not willing to do the lions share of their own work, it is just cost prohibitive. Every mechanic is not a backyard Landy mechanic, most people have to go to the dealer or specialty, $100 an hour.
I think this is more the problem than "reliability" is. Except where the needy air suspension is concerned ;)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Mine has yet to see a dealer or indy, in over 3yrs and over 50k miles.
Invest in diagnostic tools of your choice and get to it. (Faultmate etc)
There are more than one used parts place, although i would go with Scotty whenever possible.
New parts can be had from various sources (hell the oil filter is the same as on my Jeep!). There are vendors for Atlantic British who beat the AB price every time.
Parts can also be had from England if you want to save a few $$ and have the time.
Honestly, the cost of ownership is going to be whatever your laziness/circumstances dictate. If you refuse to learn the basics or cannot work on it yourself due to space etc, then fair enough. Otherwise they are no harder to work on than 90% of other rigs out there, and a hell of a lot easier than most.
I trust the missus driving in it anywhere at any time. If on a long trip, she takes the Faultmate. There is Story's EAS buddy in the glovebox, and thats it. Hell, domestics attempted air ride on a few models and screwed up a lot more than RR has :lol:
Just my .02 to the weekly "discussion".....

Martin

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just sold my 96 4.0 (73K miles) for $5000 last week. That is a good deal. There's an o-ring replacement page on here, it'll make it a breeze for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts