RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I am new here so I am sorry if I have posted in the wrong forum.......I need advice about 4.6 and LPG conversion. I am looking to buy a RR I have my eye on one but it is a 4.6 with lpg .....i have been told that there are a lot of overheating problems with this size engine and lpg conversion. Is there anyone in here that could shed any light on this? are they more prone than other models? what should I be looking out for mostly with buying second hand please? It has to be an LPG conversion one that I buy so what are my best options?

Sorry about all the questions, look forward to hearing from anyone who can help

many thanks Kerrie
 

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
Buying a p38 is a minefield. Even the good ones will have problems. What sort of money are you looking at?

As for LPG, either you love it or hate it. I'm for the latter personally, so maybe wait for some positive suggestions later. :snooty:
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
5,427 Posts
I have a P38A on LPG and have no overheating problems. Mine is sequential gas injection but it was previously fitted with a venturi system (I don't recommend them as they can backfire with costly damage to the MAF and air filter box).

Mine has been on LPG for the past 9 years.

Overheating can be issue on LPG and petrol - if the car has been overheated, expect trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rich998a said:
Buying a p38 is a minefield. Even the good ones will have problems. What sort of money are you looking at?

As for LPG, either you love it or hate it. I'm for the latter personally, so maybe wait for some positive suggestions later. :snooty:
I am wondering if I am doing the right thing here considering a RR at all as I have not got a huge amount of money to spend on one, I don't really want to go beyond £3000, and that would have to be a good one to make me want to spend that but from what you are saying it dosen't bode really well even when you think you have a good one! From what I have seen in the adds I have been looking at, they do appear to be a little glitchy but i can handle little glitches, so long as they don't effect the actual running of the vehicle.

Having never experienced a vehicle that runs on lpg I really have no idea what to expect, so I figure that leaves less room for disappointment about performance, but I am wondering what little joys gass systems have up there sleeves to surprise me with.

Thanks very much for the reply Rich998a you have given me some food for thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
p38arover said:
I have a P38A on LPG and have no overheating problems. Mine is sequential gas injection but it was previously fitted with a venturi system (I don't recommend them as they can backfire with costly damage to the MAF and air filter box).

Mine has been on LPG for the past 9 years.

Overheating can be issue on LPG and petrol - if the car has been overheated, expect trouble.
Thanks for the reply p38arover, and for sharing your experience of lpg, I will certainly remember to look out for those venturi systems and steer well clear! That dosent sound very good at all. I have no idea what the differences or virtues are between singe point, sequential or venturi gas systems so that has helped to learn about that.

Having had past experience of a car with head gasket problems back in the 80's (an old rover sdI) I do not wish to go back there again! Some one told me that the problem with the 4.6 and lpg was something to do with the thickness of the pipe used with the lpg system or something like that, but not knowing anything about lpg its all as clear as mud to me!

Its good to hear that you have had a positive experience though ....so, so far thats one for and one against......anymore for anymore??
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
5,427 Posts
I have no idea what your friend means by "thickness of the pipe used with the lpg system".

If you have only 3000 quid, I'd think carefully. These are not cheap cars to maintain unless you can do most work yourself.

Most will have been overheated by now and may suffer from slipped liners. Search for that term.

See also http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewto ... =3&t=38535

My engine had been overheated by a previous owner and now has top-hat liners installed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
3 grand for a P38 is getting into dodgy motor territory, they are cheap to buy but expensive to put right when they go wrong, and they will. You can cut the cost considerably by doing your own work but there'll come a time when it needs to go the garage for fault diagnosis/repair.....these things have lots of ecu's. If were to buy another P38 now I'd look for a really late model example with low mileage, they are still around the 5 - 6k mark, more for a special edition.

Having said that I've owned mine for 4 years, I've spent a fair bit on it. It has a Romano sequential gas system fitted and has run well on gas in all that time.....in fact it's time to get the lpg system serviced.

For a £3k budget maybe consider a late model Classic on LPG, for that money you could find a real good one that's had the rust issues sorted out. A 93-95 VogueSE 3.9 are real nice motors.......is this blasphemy on the P38 forum????? `)
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
5,427 Posts
LIRA said:
For a £3k budget maybe consider a late model Classic on LPG, for that money you could find a real good one that's had the rust issues sorted out. A 93-95 VogueSE 3.9 are real nice motors.......is this blasphemy on the P38 forum????? `)
A sensible suggestion.
 

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
57 Posts
Hi Kerrie,

Just my 2 pence worth on the subject...

I was in exactly the same position as you a year ago, although I was all set to buy a Classic. The wife suggested I look for something a bit newer which is how we ended up with a P38.

I spent about what you're budgeting for on my 98 4.6 HSE with LPG, but unfortunately I didn't really go over it very well before I bought it so ended up spending quite a bit on it straight away just to get it running properly (and it still needs quite a bit doing to it!). Moral there - don't buy one on ebay (and DEFINITELY don't believe everything the seller says)!

WRT LPG, don't worry too much about it. I was very new to it too. As long as yours has a decent system properly installed, it should be fine. It's no more prone to overheating than a non lpg engine. It's useful to have an installation certificate for slightly more peace of mind, but not necessary. Mine had a certificate and it still looks like it's been installed by a monkey so it's no guarrantee of quality. Just take a good look at the quality of worksmanship on the installation and that should give a good indicator of how well it's been fitted. The only slight problem I've had with the lpg (once it was sorted out) was actually finding garages that sell it. Satnav overlays are available that help though.

Overheating CAN be a problem on all the engines on these though (regardless of fuel type). You need to be as sure as you can that the one you're looking at hasn't overheated as they are VERY unforgiving in this respect. Expect head gasket problems or even slipped cylinder liners if they have overheated. A low mileage car is absolutley no guarrantee of no problems in this department.

Unfortunately as others have said, these are not cheap cars to run. There will always be something that needs fixing on them. If you're good with a spanner then it's not too bad. Otherwise find yourself a good independent specialist, but DO budget for unexpected repairs.

Do as much research as you can before you buy one. This website is an absolute goldmine of information on common problems (and they are surprisingly common!). You should try and make sure that the one you buy has none of them (or at least use your knowledge as a bargaining chip to get the price down).

Anyway enough rambling. If you get a good one then they're great. Get a bad one though, and you'll need very deep pockets!

Good luck!

Guy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
p38arover said:
Most will have been overheated by now and may suffer from slipped liners. Search for that term.

See also viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38535

My engine had been overheated by a previous owner and now has top-hat liners installed.

Thanks for the tip on watching for slipped liners, ill do a bit of digging around about that! Don't suppose off the top of your head you know of any tell tale signs to specifically look out for to give a possible clue about that do you? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LIRA said:
3 grand for a P38 is getting into dodgy motor territory, they are cheap to buy but expensive to put right when they go wrong, and they will. You can cut the cost considerably by doing your own work but there'll come a time when it needs to go the garage for fault diagnosis/repair.....these things have lots of ecu's. If were to buy another P38 now I'd look for a really late model example with low mileage, they are still around the 5 - 6k mark, more for a special edition.

Having said that I've owned mine for 4 years, I've spent a fair bit on it. It has a Romano sequential gas system fitted and has run well on gas in all that time.....in fact it's time to get the lpg system serviced.

For a £3k budget maybe consider a late model Classic on LPG, for that money you could find a real good one that's had the rust issues sorted out. A 93-95 VogueSE 3.9 are real nice motors.......is this blasphemy on the P38 forum????? `)

Thanks for the advice and for sharing your opinion. Fortunately I am lucky enough to have a very handy man about who is reasonably capable of doing most of the work on the vehicle himself and we checked out paddocks for spare parts to see about the cost and we were not completely scared off, but its a valid point about the fault diagnosis side of things. He also happens to agree with you about which models to look for as he says he prefers the shape. Looks like i might be looking at older models with a different light from now on. Thanks again for the reply. :)
 

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
I had to go down to Rackenford near Tiverton this morning. I needed a pair of V8 rocker covers power coated and cleaned. I must have spotted 6 Classics on the run there from Wellington. They are really quite something on the road. They look great without trying to. Probably a more comfortable car that the P38, but not as swift as a p38.

Not wishing to put the frighteners up you, but my replacement 4.6 V8 has cost well over 4k with all the extras and that was at trade price as well. :shock: They can get expensive.

Saying that, I got a PM from Jarvers (who lives near Cannington/Bridgwater - not a million miles away from you) who has been without a p38 for about 2 years now. He has just got himself a 1995MY p38. Once you have one, even after selling it you will want another. Nuff said! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Well ive had my 1997 4.6 p38 for abour 3 months now,and so far (touch wood) its been trouble free `)
Mines got single point lpg,and as long as you dont switch it over whilst going up hill under load,runs great.
I chose mine as it was the only one i could find within my (and yours)budget,that was advertised with no problems what so ever.
I know its only a matter of time before something does play up,but at the moment its wonderfull to drive :mrgreen:
Thinking about it,i have changed a £25 central locking motor.Which i'm happy with for that price !
My advice would be,buy the best you can afford.Rather than try and repair a bargain !
Cheers Andy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kooky_guy said:
Hi Kerrie,

Just my 2 pence worth on the subject...

I was in exactly the same position as you a year ago, although I was all set to buy a Classic. The wife suggested I look for something a bit newer which is how we ended up with a P38.

I spent about what you're budgeting for on my 98 4.6 HSE with LPG, but unfortunately I didn't really go over it very well before I bought it so ended up spending quite a bit on it straight away just to get it running properly (and it still needs quite a bit doing to it!). Moral there - don't buy one on ebay (and DEFINITELY don't believe everything the seller says)!

WRT LPG, don't worry too much about it. I was very new to it too. As long as yours has a decent system properly installed, it should be fine. It's no more prone to overheating than a non lpg engine. It's useful to have an installation certificate for slightly more peace of mind, but not necessary. Mine had a certificate and it still looks like it's been installed by a monkey so it's no guarrantee of quality. Just take a good look at the quality of worksmanship on the installation and that should give a good indicator of how well it's been fitted. The only slight problem I've had with the lpg (once it was sorted out) was actually finding garages that sell it. Satnav overlays are available that help though.

Overheating CAN be a problem on all the engines on these though (regardless of fuel type). You need to be as sure as you can that the one you're looking at hasn't overheated as they are VERY unforgiving in this respect. Expect head gasket problems or even slipped cylinder liners if they have overheated. A low mileage car is absolutley no guarrantee of no problems in this department.

Unfortunately as others have said, these are not cheap cars to run. There will always be something that needs fixing on them. If you're good with a spanner then it's not too bad. Otherwise find yourself a good independent specialist, but DO budget for unexpected repairs.

Do as much research as you can before you buy one. This website is an absolute goldmine of information on common problems (and they are surprisingly common!). You should try and make sure that the one you buy has none of them (or at least use your knowledge as a bargaining chip to get the price down).

Anyway enough rambling. If you get a good one then they're great. Get a bad one though, and you'll need very deep pockets!

Good luck!

Guy
Hi there Guy, thanks very much for your reply and for sharing your experience of your bad purchase! Sadly there are a lot of people who bend the truth on ebay so I am already wary of that having had my fingers burnt already (fortunately not with a car though!) We bought a telescope off of there, just the other day in fact ...described as perfect and i quote "excellent condition no damage" £30.00 postage and packing parcel force 24hr delivery! It turns up about a week later, when it arrived it was in three boxes, one of which was broken on arrival with bits missing out of it, as it was no thicker than cereal box cardboard, supposedly holding the whole weight of the tripod!! The telescope its self had two cracks in the lense rendering it totally useless! The really bad thing about it was, they knew it was like this before posting it, as the pictures they showed in their adds showed the cracks quite clearly to be there! Obviously though, you couldn't tell they were cracks, unless you had the telescope in front of you. I was lucky enough to get my money back, but it wasn't an easy affair doing this, so I know all about dodgy descriptions. Added to which they were really over charging on the postage as well, as I posted it back to them via parcel force 48 hour service and it only cost me £18.00!!.....having said this though I still sadly use ebay despite its faults.

I have taken heed of yours, and others advice and I will scour the site for more advice and do further research before I commit to any purchase!

As far as blown head gasket indicating problems are concerned, I know that I need to look for signs of water in the oil, and vice versa, problems with the heaters, possibly a strange smell in the car (its a hard smell to describe but I know the smell i'm on about! In my experience cars that have had head gasket problems have also got a strange smell about them! does anyone else notice this? I think it is the smell of overheated coolant that hangs around in the air vents or something) Also the windscreen really misting up frequently has been something I have observed before. I have also been told to check the water in the expansion tank and see how fresh it looks.....Do you know of anything else that can act as an indicator of possible past problems or a warning of it maybe happening?

Thanks again, Kerrie :think:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rich998a said:
I had to go down to Rackenford near Tiverton this morning. I needed a pair of V8 rocker covers power coated and cleaned. I must have spotted 6 Classics on the run there from Wellington. They are really quite something on the road. They look great without trying to. Probably a more comfortable car that the P38, but not as swift as a p38.

Not wishing to put the frighteners up you, but my replacement 4.6 V8 has cost well over 4k with all the extras and that was at trade price as well. :shock: They can get expensive.

Saying that, I got a PM from Jarvers (who lives near Cannington/Bridgwater - not a million miles away from you) who has been without a p38 for about 2 years now. He has just got himself a 1995MY p38. Once you have one, even after selling it you will want another. Nuff said! :thumb:
Lol you might not want to have put the frighteners up me Rich but you sure as hell have ....that is way to expensive for my little pocket to stretch to .....I am so tight when it comes to vehicles, which is silly really seeing as I depend on them so much as i live in a rural environment! There is no way I could personally justify costs like that on my motoring though! it looks like my dreams of a comfy safe four wheel drive are staring to fade! :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Andyp38 said:
:mrgreen:
Thinking about it,i have changed a £25 central locking motor.Which i'm happy with for that price ! 4
My advice would be,buy the best you can afford.Rather than try and repair a bargain !
Cheers Andy.

Sound advice there Andy and thanks for the reply.......I hope your experience of the RR remains a good one, I am wondering if your got yours on ebay or did you look elsewhere? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
ArtsApart said:
Andyp38 said:
:mrgreen:
Thinking about it,i have changed a £25 central locking motor.Which i'm happy with for that price ! 4
My advice would be,buy the best you can afford.Rather than try and repair a bargain !
Cheers Andy.

Sound advice there Andy and thanks for the reply.......I hope your experience of the RR remains a good one, I am wondering if your got yours on ebay or did you look elsewhere? :)

Yes mine was spotted on ebay,but bought privately at a later date !
But i viewed it first and went for a good test drive,before making an offer :D
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top