RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I would really appreciate your opinions. I am about to lease a new 2019 RRS HSE, my dealer has 2 available that are pretty much identical except one is a gas v6 and the other is a diesel, they are very close in price so it makes no difference to me. I am also not afraid of dealing with the little extra work that comes with a diesel (such as DEF fluid). but given the difference in HP versus torque at different RPM ranges I wonder which engine is more enjoyable to drive, Its really hard to make a decision off a test drive. Please let me know your thoughts, thank you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’ve driven both and I chose the Diesel TD6. Love the torque and the better gas milage. Prob can’t go wrong with either choice though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
111 Posts
I ordered a Td6 after a test drive, then went back a week later to test drive it again back-to-back with a regular V6. The Td6 had great torque, sounded good, and has great fuel economy, but the turbo lag off the line was a dealbreaker for me. I ended up changing to the regular V6 because the turbo lag off the line + smaller fuel tank were dealbreakers for me.

And now I drive the SCV8, which I love except the ~18mpg highway fuel economy. :lol:

I recommend driving both of them back-to-back-to-back-to-back in a variety of conditions (city, highway, traffic, open road, etc.) to get a feel for both engines.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've owned four diesel vehicles over 35ish years. Owning a diesl vehicle is like owning a boat. The two best days are the day you bought it and the day you sold it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a 2016 Td6 and I love it. The gas mileage and range is ridiculous. The smaller fuel take still give you over 500 miles on highway. Diesel is cheaper than premium in Texas and I get 27ish mpg highway/23 city. The only issue the DEF fluid which is like $12 from the autoparts store for 2.5 gallons every 6 months. The turbo lag is a real thing. It is annoying at times but I think the pros out weight the cons and you get used to it. I have owned old diesel and these are a completely new breed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a 2016 Td6 and I love it. The gas mileage and range is ridiculous. The smaller fuel take still give you over 500 miles on highway. Diesel is cheaper than premium in Texas and I get 27ish mpg highway/23 city. The only issue the DEF fluid which is like $12 from the autoparts store for 2.5 gallons every 6 months. The turbo lag is a real thing. It is annoying at times but I think the pros out weight the cons and you get used to it. I have owned old diesel and these are a completely new breed.
When your fuel tank reads empty how many gallons of fuel will it take?

·
Registered
276 Posts
this does in fact seem to be a problem across the entire line. the dash fuel meter does not accurately represent how much fuel is remaining in the tank. it appears to be anywhere from 15 to 25 percent off Mine is currently off by about 20 percent. my fuel bar in well in the red but when i check the pcm it says 25.34 percent. last fill up it was off by 6 gallons. at least it shows us less than we have rather than like Subaru's latest recall of it showing more fuel than is actually available, many people were running out on the highway thinking they still had a quarter of a tank.

·
Registered
111 Posts
this does in fact seem to be a problem across the entire line. the dash fuel meter does not accurately represent how much fuel is remaining in the tank. it appears to be anywhere from 15 to 25 percent off Mine is currently off by about 20 percent. my fuel bar in well in the red but when i check the pcm it says 25.34 percent. last fill up it was off by 6 gallons. at least it shows us less than we have rather than like Subaru's latest recall of it showing more fuel than is actually available, many people were running out on the highway thinking they still had a quarter of a tank.
I always viewed it as a way to psychologically make sure people don't run out of gas. I'm used to having about 25 miles of range left when it shows empty, which would be 1.5-2 gallons instead of the ~5 I fill up. The only thing that bugs me about it is that it unnecessarily decreases the "miles to empty" on an empty tank.The bigger issue I've found is that my mpg indicator is consistently off by 20%.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What is your climate? In Massachusetts, last winter, It was really cold - many nights in the negative (F). The dealer was taking in diesels left and right for non start due to gelled fuel.

Its avoidable by throwing in a bottle of additive. However - i head up to the mountains often, and i don't have confidence a diesel will start when its -14F outside and i don't have a way to plug in a block warmer. I also don't want to tug around fuel additive so i don't miss a fillup. If it wasn't for that, i would favor the diesel over the V6.

My .02 cents, possibly worth half that.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I always viewed it as a way to psychologically make sure people don't run out of gas. I'm used to having about 25 miles of range left when it shows empty, which would be 1.5-2 gallons instead of the ~5 I fill up. The only thing that bugs me about it is that it unnecessarily decreases the "miles to empty" on an empty tank.The bigger issue I've found is that my mpg indicator is consistently off by 20%.
That whole system is messed up just filled my rrs and miles to empty read 225 at 27 gallons that would mean around 8mpg, My 2019 fpace was just fine until my first service now when full it reads 595 miles to empty at 21 gallons that would be 28mpg i only get 17-21 on the v6. What kills me is you bring your car in for one problems and leave with two more, and it usaully takes about a week before you realize it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts