Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my RRS last week, and noticed that the headlamps are aimed somewhat high. Following a car in front at night, the headlamps pretty much illuminate at the level of the other car's rearview mirror or roof. Distance doesn't really matter. On my other cars, I try to aim the lights so they hit the top of the average car's trunklid in front. I'm somewhat anal about this type of thing and also like to tinker. I'm sure other drivers don't appreciate being illuminated by a pair of HID lights either behind them or coming toward them. I know I don't. For those who care, the vertical adjustment of the headlamps is pretty easy. On each corner of the car under the hood is a triangular plastic cover held on by 3 pushscrews. Remove the cover. Below you will see a white plastic bolt which will accommodate a 6mm hexhead. I used a socket and an extension to adjust my headlamps. An allen wrench will work too. Counterclockwise will lower the lamps and clockwise will raise them. With an extension, it's easy to keep track to the number of turns. Make sure you do the same on each side. I went 2 turns last night. We'll see how it does tonight. I realize most of you won't care about this, but I'm a Libra, and to me, everything needs to be even and level.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I'm a Leo, which basically means I'll be adjusting it to align more with the guy's mirrors in front . lol. j/k, great to know, and thanks for the writeup.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm a Leo, which basically means I'll be adjusting it to align more with the guy's mirrors in front . lol. j/k, great to know, and thanks for the writeup.
And don't forget to jack up the fog lamps too. :tongue:

·
Banned
243 Posts
yea i've driven at night ONCE, and i got flashed twice.

it's almost as if Land Rover should have addressed this during production.

will need to fix. thanks for posting, 383Vett.....

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I paid special attention to this tonight and mine are lined up perfectly to the top of the brake lights of any sedan in front of me at safe following distance.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I noticed that the adaptive headlights only swivel left/right and not up/down. I'm surprised they are not auto-leveling headlights.

Surprising, especially since it's an SUV that sits higher than most cars. Additionally, if you are towing a load, the lamps will definitely aim higher.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I paid special attention to this tonight and mine are lined up perfectly to the top of the brake lights of any sedan in front of me at safe following distance.
That's about right for you, Trez. Your lights are lined up with the third brake light of the car in front if you which is mounted at the top of the rear window.:smile:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
222 Posts
I noticed that the adaptive headlights only swivel left/right and not up/down. I'm surprised they are not auto-leveling headlights.

Surprising, especially since it's an SUV that sits higher than most cars. Additionally, if you are towing a load, the lamps will definitely aim higher.
Self levelling suspension, always keeps the lights at the same level. That's why there is also no internal height adjusters. :thumb:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
20 Posts
This is great information because I, too, am anal about these things too. I have a 2006 RRS SC with adaptive lights. They run through the normal check upon vehicle start-up and turn as the wheels are turned, so they appear to be fully operational. My driver's side light is significantly higher than the passenger, which drives me nuts. I am going to use this information to adjust the lights, but I have another question about the headlights that I hope someone can help me with. It's about the beam itself. The top of the beam is not flat for either light. The both are angled like the 'slash' key on a keyboard ( / ) - the question mark key. And there's a big shadow or dark spot between the two beams. In other words it's not an even straight line in front of me. I tried to capture it on a picture, but was unsuccessful. I can try again if it'll help.

I will be putting the outlined adjustment steps to work tomorrow night.

Thanks again!
-Matt

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
20 Posts
I removed the both headlight assemblies and both HID bulbs so I could look into the headlight. I see the metal piece that runs across and they are not flat. There is a small slant ( / )in the middle, so that explains why the beam isn't straight across at the top. In a video I watched on YouTube, it said there would be a lever to push up or down to flatten the beam for left- or right-hand drive (he is in the UK). Must be the US models don't have the lever because neither the L or R side had one. No big deal. I did notice there is a difference between the headlights. The passenger side one is newer, and there is just a very small difference between how the HID bulb comes out (it all comes out in one piece without having to first remove the igniter, then squeeze the springs to allow the bulb to come out - I like it). So I'm guessing I just need to adjust the level of the headlights. The passenger side is too low (which is the new light), so I'm guessing that maybe it was replaced when it went into the dealership, but they just never bothered to adjust the height of the beam. I'm going to do it tonight. I just have to find the post that shows which hex bolt to turn.

Just wanted to provide an update on what I've done. I wish it had a flat beam, but there's nothing I can do about it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just picked up my RRS last week, and noticed that the headlamps are aimed somewhat high. Following a car in front at night, the headlamps pretty much illuminate at the level of the other car's rearview mirror or roof. Distance doesn't really matter. On my other cars, I try to aim the lights so they hit the top of the average car's trunklid in front. I'm somewhat anal about this type of thing and also like to tinker. I'm sure other drivers don't appreciate being illuminated by a pair of HID lights either behind them or coming toward them. I know I don't. For those who care, the vertical adjustment of the headlamps is pretty easy. On each corner of the car under the hood is a triangular plastic cover held on by 3 pushscrews. Remove the cover. Below you will see a white plastic bolt which will accommodate a 6mm hexhead. I used a socket and an extension to adjust my headlamps. An allen wrench will work too. Counterclockwise will lower the lamps and clockwise will raise them. With an extension, it's easy to keep track to the number of turns. Make sure you do the same on each side. I went 2 turns last night. We'll see how it does tonight. I realize most of you won't care about this, but I'm a Libra, and to me, everything needs to be even and level.
Digging up an old thread cause there's nowhere else I could find this info. On my 2014 RRS, there's a hole in the cover so you can reach the adjuster screw without removing the cover. On the actual cover next to the hole, there's a headlamp sign and "1.8%" stamped in the plastic. When I turn this screw in either direction, the lights don't change height. Is there another screw that locks out the adjuster, once properly adjusted? Anything else I heed to do before turning this white screw?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
49 Posts
Great!! Finally, I don't have to be nervous driving behind or opposite another car at nights. Thanks 383vett!

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
10 Posts
Years later bump.

I have a 2020 RRS and my driver side light is MUCH higher than my passenger. I have the LED lights and want to make sure I dont mess anything up. Does anyone have any info the the L494 models with LED lights and how to lower the drivers side down?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
10 Posts
Bumping this to see if anyone knows how to lower driver side LED headlight? My 2020 RRS driver side headlamp is much higher than my passenger side. I can clearly see a difference on my garage wall. And people are flashing me. I did see a white screw that looked like the screw you would twist to raise or lower the lights. But it did nothing and I left it alone.

Anyone know? Id rather fix this myself than call the dealer and have to deal with service.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts