RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lifting the P38 a lot with RTE springs, the body gets shifted and is not aligned over the axles. My previous offroad height from center of wheel was 20.5 inches. Now, my rear is over 23 inches and front is just under 23 inches. To correct this geometry, you need an adjustable panhard rod. Lucky8 sells them from ToddCo, but we decided to make our own as we don't like the solid Heim joints and want to retain the bushings.

We cut the rod and then are attaching heavy duty threaded plugs with a threaded rod that allows for adjustment.

Here is preliminary pic of the rod before welding the caps on.

P38_panhard_adj.jpg

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
That is at least grade 10.9/ grade 8 threaded rod right Ted?
I looked into making them a few years ago, but most people only wanted to pay Heim joint money, which would be crap in my experience.
Good job on keeping the rubber bushings mate!

Martin

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
Less chance of failure, lower maintenance, less road noise passed through the cab, less vibrations, etc

I broke a Heim Joint on my my old toyota truck. it was part of the steering system. luckily it only broke on the way out of a parking lot, and not going 70 down the highway.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Without the rubber bushings its metal on metal contact. This transmits vibrations to the cabin and also strsses the joint more. With the bushings in place, the ride wont change. The threaded rod is actually stronger than the whole panhard rod. I was surprised by how light the panhard bar was when I removed it.

I will take some pics with it installed. I have to change my long and short tie rods today and then get an alignment.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2 Posts
How'd it work out spike? I'm pulling mine next week and need a machine shop to fab these up for me. They should be able to figure it out, but is there any info I can pass along to them to make it a faster mod?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
232 Posts
[/URL][/IMG]

I had these made for my 97 P38

I was going to install them today, but I appear to have misplaced the correct sized socket:oops:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice. Do you notice any more noise or vibration with the heim joints?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts