RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only 1 key with the replacement car (1998 4.6 HSE) - saved the pennies and went to Strastone Doncaster (South Yorkshire UK) where I bought addtional keys for the original car (1997 4.0 SE) 5 years ago -- label on new car key is still visible - number 1 so as she has elec seats checked the personalisation worked to confirm the key is either 1 or 2 (3 or 4 can't so the manual says programme personal seat settings) and it does - when I said I wanted key 2 the parts man said you can only get key 1 or 2 (3 & 4 were on his dealer Microcat @ £178 net whereas 1 & 2 were listed as £132.80 net) and that part number for 2 defaults to number 1 anyway --- he's said no problem in synching the new one and they will both work (mmm,,,,, that better be true :-?) whether I get to programme the drivers seat with a second profile I'll let you know -- needs synching via EKA which I didn't need to do with the previous car - it simply picked up the rolling code - EKA in the owners paperwork is quoted as being the same as the radio code which I v.much doubt (code does unlock the radio) as 1 digit too short IIRC - MSV extreme doesn't display the EKA which I thought it should..... dealer will txt when the key is in together with the EKA.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
just read your post, i have a similar problem, purchased my 99 4.6hse in oct this year with only 1 key (no4), have ordered a new key from TH White main dealer in swindon, has come back as key no1, showed the dealer my existing key when i ordered the new one, dealer tells me it will work ok allthough i don,t know previously what keys were with the car. According to the dealer to sync the new key i need to hold the lock button down, insert into the drivers door lock and lock 4 times, then do the same to unlock 4 times as well, this will then sync the key to the becm, i was under the impression the EKA procedure should be followed to re-sync a key, i,ll post again this weekend with my results, would be interesting to hear from someone who has purchased new key and their results - steve

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
The new key *should* be just a simple case of synching it to the vehicle - just like if you have taken the batteries out of the original FOB and replaced them.

So with new key, Press Lock and turn key to lock position in drivers door. Or press Unlock and turn key to unlock in drivers door. Some people say you have to do both - a Lock, and then Unlock whilst pressing the relevant button - my 2001 will resynch the key with just a single press/turn of the key.

I'm going to give TH White a call aswell and see about a price for a replacement key. I have key 2 (as I found from the superlock/lazy unlock trick) - so getting a new Key 1 would be good!

Hope this helps..
Marty

·
Registered
922 Posts
Both keys will work, BUT not at the same time. You have to resynch each time you change keys. It's laziness on the part of LR that they seem incapable of changing the fob so that you get Key#2...so everyone gets Key #1 ...at least you are in the UK!! try dealing with cypher drones from half a world away! AAAAGGGHHHH!!!!

Now, having become very upset by the key fob debacle memory I shall just sit here in front of the TV and recover my usual equanimity by enjoying the third day of the final (cricket) test match...:clap::evil:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well -- pile of pants --- got back tonight from a business trip and asked eldest to swap cars around - 'dad y won't the green range rover unlock on the remote?' == lo and flaming well behold --- as I suspected no.1 key x 2 don't work - sync 1 and the other won't play ball unless it's synced then the other key won't work --- so at best I have a spare key and at worst I've just spent a ton of dosh on an 'EKA key' NOT HAPPY Mr Stratstone Doncaster South Yorkshire UK - I asked in front of 'witnesses' when I ordered the key would both work - 'YES' was the reply -- will speak to them Friday but doubt I'll get satisfaction..

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well - discussed with the dealer yesterday who initially said key 1 had been ordered as mine was faulty Er wot??? NO I made specific reference to the fact I had a working No.1 and when told no.1 was the only key that can now be ordered I queried whether both No.1's would work - YES was the response - have agreed to go in with the car and both keys as 1 of the workshop managers has a 'couple of ideas' well at least that will give me merriment for a few minutes whilst I mull over a spare (EKA) key that cost £132

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Aloha,
Gotta toss my 2 cents worth in here.......
I just ordered, and picked up a new Key 2 for my 2002 and a new # 1 for my 2000.
No worries and no grief!
Why would there not be keys 1-4 available? they are all programmed with the code by LR. It is not as if they have run out of 2,3,and 4 blank fobs!
Unless I am seriously wrong (And someone here will certainly let me know if I am...) The fobs would be universal until programed by LR?
In any event, if the UK division is out of all but #1 then have them order one from LR North America. They are available here as of last month.
The dealer was not technically "Wrong" Key 1 would work, until such time the other Key 1 had been pressed 100 times and the rolling code has rolled out of range.
It would then be ignored.
Good luck!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mmm -I may well be askign you to get me a 'proper' no.2 key then -- OK if I show your post to the dealers when I go in next week>?>

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
No worries at all, please feel free to show them this post as well. I got the keys from Range Rover of Mission Viejo in Southern California.
I would not be able to assist in procurement, as I am actually in Hawaii, and I had to send Rego and Drivers license to
order, and I had to present the original documents to pick up the keys which was no problem as I was visiting the mainland for a few days.
Tight security! Here is a shot of the new key 2 for the 2000.
Good luck! IMGP0003.jpg

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
Mmm -I may well be askign you to get me a 'proper' no.2 key then -- OK if I show your post to the dealers when I go in next week>?>
I personally would be going back to the dealer and a) showing them the post about a new Key #2, and asking them to either swap your key out for a key #2 FOC, or refund you your £132 - if you paid for the key in good faith that it would work (because they are the dealer, and as being part of Land Rover, they should know, right?). Now that it has arrived and doesn't work how they said it was supposed to, it's not your fault!

I would be wary of trying to get a key from the US - only because they use 315mhz over there for the RF system, and it would be a real pain to get a Key #2 made, and then find it doesn't work because it's on a different frequency!! In theory, yes, it should be done by VIN - and the VIN *should* show that it's UK spec, 433mhz part number - but if LRNA pogram them there from a blank unit, then it's likely to be on the US frequency..

Just something else to think about though!

I'd still go back to the dealer and get them to make it right. I would almost be tempted (and a bit cheeky) to ask for the #1 Key they have got made aswell... because surely having another working Key #1 out there for your vehicle is a 'security risk'... :p

Marty

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
went back this Friday - the tricks the service manager had were no more than syncing the keys 1 after the other -- na don't work - mentioned the US options (accepting the transmitter frequencies are different not the mention the grief trying to get LR USA supplying a key for a UK car) and then asked for my money back and keep the key as I wasn't happy they would have a working key for mine - said he'd ask but got a 'sorry about this, and whilst I could have a refund couldn't also have the key' don't want to fall out with LR but I think I will put this in writing to the DP

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
went back this Friday - the tricks the service manager had were no more than syncing the keys 1 after the other -- na don't work - mentioned the US options (accepting the transmitter frequencies are different not the mention the grief trying to get LR USA supplying a key for a UK car) and then asked for my money back and keep the key as I wasn't happy they would have a working key for mine - said he'd ask but got a 'sorry about this, and whilst I could have a refund couldn't also have the key' don't want to fall out with LR but I think I will put this in writing to the DP
If they won't let you have the key, then ask that it be destroyed and there to be proof of destruction or something like that. I wouldn't feel happy knowing that there is another WORKING key out there somewhere for my RR!

I would be writing to them for sure... they were the ones that said it would work and haven't provided what they said they could. The other way maybe of 'persuading' them would be to say OK then, you keep my working key, but give me a spare key to one of your new RR's on the lot then, and I'll keep that for safe keeping. When they go 'oh, no we couldn't do that - what's to stop you coming and taking the vehicle' your reply is.. now you know how I feel!

I understand not wanting to fall out with them, but would any of them be happy for there to be a working spare key to their personal vehicle that they know is about, but don't know where it is!

At least the service manager was proven that they couldn't get it to work either!

Marty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts