RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we ordered our 2016 RRS TD6, the dealer don't have example of standard audio that we can listen to. The coast of meridian upgrade at that time was $1800. Anyway, we ended up ordering standard audio system.
The standard audio (250watts) is not that bad, only lacking the low frequency response (I have Bose in my Cayenne and Harman Kardon in my MB). I am not into Hifi in the car too much but wold like to add a little more low frequency response into the RRS standard audio system.
I initially added Kenwood sub (8x5" 75w RMS) under the seat and AudioControl LC2I to convert high signal to low signal (this device also has subwoofer output). This system is OK but not the best solution. I moved the subwoofer to the cargo area, the sub was having hard time to boot the bass in larger area. At the end, I replaced it with a Nakamichi NBF100A (10" 180w RMS). This is a good setup for now, there are still a lot of adjustment with LC2I but Iam happy for now. Although the best would be to replace the lower door speakers in addition, but this would be too much work for me at the moment.
The installation was not that difficult since the AAM is located under the driver seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
70 Posts
So all you added is the LC2I and the NBF100A and your happy with the outcome with no negative results? The stock stereo is hideous! Thank you

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
firescrap, please remember that Range Rover owners are from all walks of life and tastes. The base sound system is perfectly fine for some folks where others want more power. Of course there are also folks that are never happy unless they can shatter their windows, but that's another topic. :mrgreen:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course I am happy with it for now, since there is only so much you can do in a car, adding a little make a lot of different.
But the meridian option cost dropped to $1300 now, which equal cost to the option of Bose in Porsche. So, if I have to do this again, I would pay for meridian option.
Again, everybody have different taste.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
70 Posts
I definitely don't need my windows to shatter but a hint of low would make a world of difference. Would you say it's comparable to the Meridian upgrade with no negative issues?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have listened to Meridian (the 750w upgrade), I think my setup is better in a way. The Meridian has the multi speakers to create ambient replicating a listening room. But, when the car is moving, it becoming like any other audio system. You can't compensate the dynamic noise from road, wind, engine, etc. Unless you have an active equalization in realtime. I have listen to my porsche Bose and HK system in my MB, both system great when the car is stationary, specially if the engine is off. But, when moving, all the multi speakers and surround equalization not helping very much. Even the bass disappeared somehow (no separate subwoofer control).
So, this is why the setup I have now is better in away since I can increase the sub gain/cutoff filter and bass boost separately depending on present condition and music type. In addition, the cost is minimal for what I get.
No matter what you do, you will never get the same sound quality as in a dedicated listening room at home.
I was just posting this incase somebody with base system wanted to get some improvement with minimal cost. also important to select the subwoofer size depending on location. The volume of subwoofer is important to create the solid low freq bass (not to shack the car or window!).
FYI, the Meridian subwoofer is molded under the front passenger seat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The left rear cargo area. Behind it is empty. You either can create a build in sub or mounted externally. Since I don't want to make a hole, I mounted mine externally. The right rear is where you get the power from. This side is where some of the fuses located as well as aux power.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Meridian system is more than just base. I've been told, and could be wrong, but the subwoofer is actually part of the chassis and specific body areas which create more of a bump without it actually doing that. Not sure if that makes sense but that itself I've noticed makes it a good combo with more or less bass.

As for when the cars are moving, I agree there's outside noise, but it's not that bad right? I had a B&O in my Q7 and the H/K in my CLS. Both sound great regardless of speed, unless a window was cracked.

For the upgrades and add on, how much did it bring you to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree that the upgrades are better than base. Even for Bose in 997/987 at certain speed.
I guess it all depends on individual and how much to spend. As for my upgrade, total spend about $500 including mistakes. Of course I am doing it myself since I can't let anybody else doing it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the Meridian upgrade system ($1800). Had it in Evoque as well. To me, it was a highlight of the Evoque with its truly excellent staging and clarity. Same for RRS, as good as any system I've heard short of those silly 5-6K systems with an extra $1000 in parts. The Range Rover Meridian systems embarrass in X5 upgraded system in all ways except outright volume. BTW I'm a Macintosh guy, so yea, I like sound a bit. I'd call it accurate, clean bass , not the Cerwin Vega mud certain musics evolve around.
You know, I've never heard the sound system of an BMW that's been upgraded. The, "BEST" system I've heard was for a 2014 X6M, and to me it was terrible. I hated it so much. Even my wife who is usually indifferent said it sounded cheap. Not to mention the whole cabin felt like a knock off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The biggest problem with the stock stereo from my perspective is that the sound is truly terrible at low volumes. I could not care less if the stereo could rattle the windows. The sound is actually better (but not particularly good) at higher volumes. The base stereo, for my use, has the worst depth and clarity of sound in any car I have owned in the past 20 years, including my Ford pickup. From my perspective, it has other shortcomings. I wish there was a dedicated screen for the radio (as each prior generation Sport had), rather than paging through the NAV screen. And for some reason it seems to do a poor job of maintaining radio reception -- this is my third Sport since 2006, each used to drive the exact same routine, and the 2016 loses reception in areas that the prior vehicles did not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Sand8,

May I ask where you took the audio signal? Is there a signal on the base system in the rear luggage where there is no speaker?

thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd be interested too - I have a self amplified slimline subwoofer to install in the rear luggage side panel an need a high level input from a speaker feed and also a 12 v positive feed.

I have the base system so no speakers in the rear luggage shelf, but the connections are there, just no signal to them I guess as its only the 8 channel base system (2 in each doo only).

I hear that running a power feed direct to battery can cause problems with stop start too? Does anyone know whether wiring the amp/sub (150w RMS) to an add a fuse on a suitably large ampered fuse in the rear luggage side panel is okay?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts