Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to find out what is the different between US TDV6 and ROW SDV6. The US TDV6 has 258HP/440Lbft and SDV6 has round 300HP/500LbFt. From British website, it seem like the TDV6 for US version is equipped only with a single turbo (VTG). Compared that with SDV6 which using 2 turbos (main turbo is VTG) that works in sequence where the fixed turbo kicks in at 2800 rpm or so.
Apparently, the previous generation of TDV6 (pre 2015.5 model) also equipped with twin turbos like SDV6. The only difference is the level of tuning.
So, when I checked my TDV6 engine compartment, it is apparent that this seem to be true, since I can see only one air intake (the right side is missing) instead of 2 that I have seen in the L494 service manual for 2015.
I am not sure why JLR did this, may be a lot of reason from cost to US regulation, who knows?

So, in order to get my TDV6 closer to the level of SDV6 in power and torque, I ordered and installed ChipExpress (there are plenty of brands but I pick this based on their response) to see how it will perform in US TDV6. Since I have GDE tuned in my 2005 CDI, I am quite a bit familiar with this setup. The only different is GDE using the remapped (more parameters changed) and ChipExpress is using tuning box. Also the different in maximum HP fuel pump, my old MB is 23kpsi (solenoid injectors) and TDV6 is 30kpsi (piezo injectors).
The power/torque improvement is very noticeable and very useful when overtaking and merging. It is now about the same performance as my Cayenne S (957) with a lot less fuel consumption.
I have not tried to tow just yet but will do more long trips in future (>800 miles/day) to see what the increase in fuel economy. So far so good from short trips (<30miles) but it is very difficult to get consistence reading since the acceleration is addictive....
A few pictures of the engine compartment.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice. We tuned our MB GL320 cdi with the KD box. It was great.

We have a RRS TD6 now and I was looking at the Chip Express unit. Thanks for the feedback.

What was the cost?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered this and it arrived and I installed today...

I can't say I noticed it any different thou. Did you end up changing any of the jumpers around?
I pumped up the more power one one notch.. still didn't notice anything.

The one thing I really want to fix is the lag..
Is every one else have that issue? When you need to get out front quickly. you pin it and it literally takes like a second or two before power really picks up and you start moving...
sometimes feels unsafe...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is odd. I have mind in as delivered position (in the middle). I did have problem initially plug it upside down and the car won't start. So, I had to wait a few hours before it reset. I put the by passed plug first before plugging in the device to make sure everything is normal. After that I plug in chip express and notice the gain during acceleration imidiately. Specially during overtaking.
You may want to check with them to see if they can send you another unit to compare with? If you are close by, we can try mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where abouts are you located. I am in Canada :)
I also put it in backwards at first and it would t start. I was worried ! Tried again later and it started.
I put it up another notch today and I could start to feel it a bit. Just not sure how safe it is to keep bumping it up

Does yours have a lag off the line when u punch it from dead stop takes about 1-2 seconds and then just takes off ? It seems dangerous to me and u can't do any pull outs unless u have lots of room

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did not know you are in Canada. I am in Texas, a bit too far.
Yes, from dead stop, the behavior is the same like normal. I don't think this is to do with turbo lag, more like the transmission delay. Once the car started to move, I can then accelerate without issue. This is why it is hard to do 0-60 time.
In my opinion, the acceleration is faster when overtaking or merging. And mine still no jumper yet. I have not tried the higher setting. May be after 5000 miles or so.
I think this system is bumping up rail pressure. Since the pump is engine driven (max is 30kpsi), you can not go more than max pressure. I think at idle the pressure is around 5kpsi.

·
Registered
2 Posts
did you order the kit directly from chip express? did you have to pay duty on this? How are you enjoying this so far? Congrats and Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Order direct from chip express. No duty for single unit only.
So far so good. I leave the setting in the middle (default) and that is enough power/torque for now. I may change to higher setting later when I have a bit more miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed this over the weekend as well. I did the exact same mistake on the install and the RR would not start. Started stressing out but just left it and the ECU reset.

I agree there is little difference from a standstill. I think this is because the normal setting does not add a ton of torque. I did do an interstate run and noticed definite improvement in the top end. Passing seems a bit more brisk now. I'm going to try the additional power settings later.

I'm driving 1300 miles from TN to ME this week so will be interestEd to see effect on mileage. I have seen mostly around 29mpg highway before the install.

Overall a nice improvement but not transforming in anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update: Completed the 1250 mile journey from TN to ME. Overall extremely impressed. Power was very strong when needed. Load was two passengers, a dog (60lbs), two bikes on the hitch rack and about 150lbs of gear. The trip average MPG was an impressive 31mpg at an average speed of 73mph.

This was all on the middle power setting.

Well worth the investment and the nice thing is that it can easily be removed when necessary for service etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wbrownie, very impressive! I have not tried my long distance run yet but from 60 miles trip, I got 1-2mpg improvement over stock. I also left mine in the standard setting for now. I think the power improvement can be felt when I accelerate to the point before the gear changed. So I normally push the gas pedal gently and let the torque of the engine accelerate the car. Since we have 8 speed gearbox, it tends to downshift a few gears when you push too hard on the gas pedal.
Overall, I agreed with you, not a bad investment and with the option to increasing more power/torque.
Thanks for the update!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts