RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up our first Range Rover. It's a 2016 HSE with some nice options, and the interior/exterior combo my wife wanted. Despite the features being listed in the ad, I've discovered they aren't included on my car. It's not a deal breaker but I am disappointed. I had gone through the settings during the test drive and thought for sure I'd seen them but I think I must have just seen the rear collision and assumed it was part of the same package. The screaming infant in the back seat didn't help matters.

Anyway, I realize there is specialized hardware (at the very least a forward facing camera) involved, but from what I can tell there is a forward facing camera on my vehicle incorporated into the rear view mirror. Does anyone know if potentially all the Range Rover HSEs came with the hardware and if it's something as simple as paying a dealer to unlock or update the software to enable it?

Thanks in advance!
Charlie

·
Registered
623 Posts
You will spend less money trading in your range for one with the options versus adding it to your existing car. Just enjoy it and upgrade when it’s affordable. It’s never been done that I know of.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will spend less money trading in your range for one with the options versus adding it to your existing car. Just enjoy it and upgrade when it’s affordable. It’s never been done that I know of.
Hey Mark

Thanks, and I agree that is sound advice. I'm leaning towards giving it a shot though because the rest of the options (colors etc) were exactly what my wife wanted. For anyone that stumbles across this in the future, after some digging I did find an instance of someone retrofitting forward collision + adaptive cruise control and a separate person that was able to retrofit lane departure warning. Both are possible, neither is cheap, but the process is relatively straightforward.

Cheers
Charlie

·
Registered
623 Posts
Can you please share the links?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
66 Posts
I successfully retrofitted adaptive cruise control – which also includes the forward collision alert – to my 2016 Supercharged about a month ago. (Threads here and here)

The upgrade was surprisingly simple and took less than two hours. Involves installing the radar unit behind the front bumper, swapping the switch pack on your steering wheel and enabling the feature with a diagnostic tool. Only issue is parts aren't cheap.

Here's what you need:
The radar / distance sensor is the most expensive part. Some have had luck finding it for as little as $700 on eBay. And if you don't already have a GAP IID tool, it's also a bit pricey, but once you have it, you will use it over and over for other projects, so definitely worth the cost.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Very cool. I stand corrected! You can find most parts wayyyy cheaper on eBay UK

·
Registered
623 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Mark - here's a lengthy post about it. After reading through, it seems nobody has tested the Ford brand forward collision radars. They are must more plentiful (and cheaper) but there is concern that a difference in firmware will render them unusable. It is a bit of a gamble to give it a shot and to my knowledge nobody has done it.

Cheers
Charlie

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
66 Posts
Yep. There is another helpful thread in the L494 forum. Several in there have attempted different part numbers / manufacturers with varying levels of success. Personally, I stuck with new, genuine parts since this is a feature you really don't want any room for error.

Details here:

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
599 Posts
Liked: "Personally, I stuck with new, genuine parts since this is a feature you really don't want any room for error. "

·
Registered
2014 Range Rover Sport AB
27 Posts
Just picked up our first Range Rover. It's a 2016 HSE with some nice options, and the interior/exterior combo my wife wanted. Despite the features being listed in the ad, I've discovered they aren't included on my car. It's not a deal breaker but I am disappointed. I had gone through the settings during the test drive and thought for sure I'd seen them but I think I must have just seen the rear collision and assumed it was part of the same package. The screaming infant in the back seat didn't help matters.

Anyway, I realize there is specialized hardware (at the very least a forward facing camera) involved, but from what I can tell there is a forward facing camera on my vehicle incorporated into the rear view mirror. Does anyone know if potentially all the Range Rover HSEs came with the hardware and if it's something as simple as paying a dealer to unlock or update the software to enable it?

Thanks in advance!
Charlie
Hi Charlie

What are you trying to fit, or would like to? Ive just added a new mirror to my l494 Sport 2014 most of the parts are the same between the L405 and L494 (just different part numbers and probably price!) My car has the rear collision system already and 360 cameras, blind spot monitoring too, but it didnt have lane departure warning or traffic sign recognition so i found an L405 Mirror with all the goodies and have just fitted it and with some help from Pat at GAP diagnostics we have now got it working. Your would need the associated parts probably from fleabay and then the GAP IID tool to enable some programming to the car in order to get the car to recognise the new hardware and to enable it the software, the GAP tool is great but is around $350 plus any parts you might need and then the fitting etc... so if you like a project some of these things can be done but as others have said it might be easier to chop her in and find one with all the gizmos, I tried to find one with most of the stuff already fitted and took the chance on the TSR and LDW but it panned out.

What are you looking to to fit and have you registered on LR Topic website and put in you VIN as that can give a good idea of what stuff is fitted already (just not 100% accurate)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Charlie

What are you trying to fit, or would like to? Ive just added a new mirror to my l494 Sport 2014 most of the parts are the same between the L405 and L494 (just different part numbers and probably price!) My car has the rear collision system already and 360 cameras, blind spot monitoring too, but it didnt have lane departure warning or traffic sign recognition so i found an L405 Mirror with all the goodies and have just fitted it and with some help from Pat at GAP diagnostics we have now got it working. Your would need the associated parts probably from fleabay and then the GAP IID tool to enable some programming to the car in order to get the car to recognise the new hardware and to enable it the software, the GAP tool is great but is around $350 plus any parts you might need and then the fitting etc... so if you like a project some of these things can be done but as others have said it might be easier to chop her in and find one with all the gizmos, I tried to find one with most of the stuff already fitted and took the chance on the TSR and LDW but it panned out.

What are you looking to to fit and have you registered on LR Topic website and put in you VIN as that can give a good idea of what stuff is fitted already (just not 100% accurate)
I'm planning on fitting forward collision / adaptive cruise along with lane departure warning. I have an IID Tool on the way and I'm currently combing the internet for the various hardware I'm going to need. My car has the vision package which has the 360 camera, blind spot monitoring, as well as the side traffic collision avoidance when backing up.

Cheers
Charlie

·
Registered
2014 Range Rover Sport AB
27 Posts
I'm planning on fitting forward collision / adaptive cruise along with lane departure warning. I have an IID Tool on the way and I'm currently combing the internet for the various hardware I'm going to need. My car has the vision package which has the 360 camera, blind spot monitoring, as well as the side traffic collision avoidance when backing up.

Cheers
Charlie
Same as mine then although I already had the cruise control fitted, a great guy on here has already done a walkthrough on fitting the ACC and I can give you some details on the lane departure retro fit, it might be just an software thing for you but I had to change the mirror over for one with the camera. Im in the process of doing a write up on what I found out GPPlutta is really helpful Im sure you've seen his post on the ACC Adaptive Cruise Control retrofit how to

If you pm me you vin I can have a quick butchers to see what spec your car has already

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same as mine then although I already had the cruise control fitted, a great guy on here has already done a walkthrough on fitting the ACC and I can give you some details on the lane departure retro fit, it might be just an software thing for you but I had to change the mirror over for one with the camera. Im in the process of doing a write up on what I found out GPPlutta is really helpful Im sure you've seen his post on the ACC Adaptive Cruise Control retrofit how to

If you pm me you vin I can have a quick butchers to see what spec your car has already
Thanks, I'll PM you the VIN. My mirror has a single camera, but its my understanding that a stereoscopic camera is required for the lane departure features. If you have any pics or part numbers for what you ended up doing that would help me out. I'm not totally clear on the additional shrouds and covers required.

Cheers
Charlie

·
Registered
355 Posts
any luck with what is needed to get the speed limit retrofit? I see a mirror anymore info on what the part number? The ACC retrofit looks really easy, going to do that and the front speed limit/lane departure

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
any luck with what is needed to get the speed limit retrofit? I see a mirror anymore info on what the part number? The ACC retrofit looks really easy, going to do that and the front speed limit/lane departure
The challenge that I've had is the part number engraved on the back of the actual mirrors isn't a Land Rover part number, its like a manufacturer part number. I haven't found a reliable cross reference of the two of them, but I think I did find some rhyme and reason to it. I still would recommend looking for a mirror that has the VIN of the car it came from available to verify that the donor vehicle had lane departure warning, but here is my current hypothesis:

EDIT: I now think that the part number on the actual mirror is irrelevant. The mirror is one piece, and the camera fitting is another - the LR part number determines what the mirror is paired with. This means, as far as I know, the only way to verify its the proper mirror is to see a picture of it and look for the camera - or to get the donor vehicle VIN and run an options report.

Generally from pictures online you should be able to determine if the mirror has a camera on it vs. the two little bulbs found on the non-TSR mirrors.

Here is the FAQ page from the GAP tool website. There is a section specifically about fitting TSR and LDW that include some part numbers. They don't have info on 2016 L405 though, which is what I have.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just finished retrofitting both LDW/TSA and ACC / FCA.

A few key notes.

1) Patrick at GAP diagnostics is an absolute rock star. Its so refreshing to deal with a company that is really responsive and helps customers out even when they're doing things a bit outside the lines. The GAP tool is worth every single cent. Without it + their top notch support this would not have been possible.

2) Lots of people have retrofitted the lane departure warning but found that while the icon on the dash turns red when they depart their lane, there is no haptic feedback from the steering wheel. Patrick @ GAP figured it out today and I confirmed it works. Just edit "Power Steering Type" and change it to Electric Power Steering with External Angle and Torque Control.

3) The forward collision radar module with a part number starting with DPLA and FPLA seem to work without edits. However I went with a GX73 module (from a Jag). This required an ECU flash of the cruise control module (again Patrick walked me through this and made it easy) once I did this, I ran the calibration for ACC again and it now works flawlessly.

4) The LDW/trunk release combo button takes a different plug than the single truck release button. Land Rover uses a pigtail adapter to do this. Its about 8" long and one end plugs into the side of the dash, the other plugs into the button. If you order a new combo button make sure it comes with the pigtail that plugs into it (I bought my used and it did). In order to plug it in, you will need to pop off the trim on the driver's side of the dash and trace the existing pigtail up. It's not too bad, but I couldn't get the trim all the way off so it took some patience and trial/error to get the new one plugged in.

Happy to answer any questions if people have them. Also, big thanks to pjbracer1 for helping walk me through how he did the LDW retrofit on his car. There's already a very good thread covering the ACC that I'll link below:

Brief breakdown of costs (rounding) and part numbers

GAP tool : $500 (but worth $350 or so used + valuable for other projects/repairs)

Forward collision radar ($450 after tax on eBay) - GX73-9G768-AD

Radar bracket: $22 (new) - LR060076

Bolts: $2 (new) - RYG500160

Mirror with LDW / TSR camera + auto dim and home link: $300 from partslinkent.com : GK52-17E678-HC (I think the mirror and camera are not necessarily a combo, so you need to verify via photo or donor vehicle VIN that the mirror you're buying has a camera on it)

LDW/Trunk/Dimmer switch with pigtail: $50 from partslink - LR047121

Mirror lower cover: $15 (new) - LR072359

ACC steering wheel button cluster: $80ish new - LR087486

Fitting the LDW mirror: est. 30 minutes
Fitting front collision radar module (3 hours for me with no breaks)
Fitting steering wheel button cluster (1 hour)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Please list all part numbers 3 that you used to complete this. The ldw is not listed in many places

thx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, this is a really impressive upgrade. Congrats on completing the project. It must be really satisfying to see it working. I have 2015 HSE and would love to add ACC. I already have a LDW system factory installed. What parts would my car need for ACC?
Radar, bracket and steering wheel button. that is it or anything else?
Not sure if the mirror with cameras is for LDW or ACC...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts