RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm looking into adding the TPMS system to my 2010 RRSC and wanted to field it with all you all.

How much / what parts do you think this would require?

What programming would be needed?

...can it be done?

Thank you!

·
Registered
872 Posts
This doesn't answer your question but have you ever owned a car with a TPMS? Its super annoying, usually problematic, and something I would prefer to retrofit to be gone. No experience with it on a 2010 RR but its probably like every other car.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ditto NorCal RR's response.

Of all the 'modern' 'convenience' items on newer cars, I HATE TPM systems. I always checked tire pressures and can still do it.

My experience is that they throw false readings.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The L322" TPMS system is the worst out of all of them. Unlike many including Jag's it does not tell you which tire. It only tells you to check ALL tires. It's a costly item to maintain, and mostly useless. Thank your lucky stars you don't have it. Unfortunately all US spec L322's came stock with it. At least 2006 and up. Use your $600.00+ on better things, like timing chains.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Last time I got tires I had them just fit normal rubber valves in (no tpms) terrible system. Not only is it usually annoying, with the salted roads and winter it corrodes the aluminum valves causing them to fail resulting in a flat. Has happened to me a couple of times, most recently last winter on a set of snow wheels the valve completely failed causing the stem to shoot out.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The L322" TPMS system is the worst out of all of them. Unlike many including Jag's it does not tell you which tire. It only tells you to check ALL tires. It's a costly item to maintain, and mostly useless. Thank your lucky stars you don't have it. Unfortunately all US spec L322's came stock with it. At least 2006 and up. Use your $600.00+ on better things, like timing chains.
Hmm - I think that might be year dependent as my 2010 warns me when a specific tire is low, including the spare.

·
Registered
228 Posts
L322 MY2010+ TPMS specifically identifies which wheel/tire is out of parameters.

The lack of TPMS warning reliability on earlier model years is most often due to a faulty TPMS module throwing phantom warnings, given that correct tire pressures (F36-38psi and R+spare 42-44psi) are recorded.

Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm looking into adding the TPMS system to my 2010 RRSC and wanted to field it with all you all.

How much / what parts do you think this would require?

What programming would be needed?
Given that the US-spec ones came with it, I would imagine the OEM parts should be readily available and that you could find them used as well. Beyond the sensor components there is invariably one or more control modules, plus wiring. The car would need to be re-coded (CCF) to enable the TPMS functions once all the components are in place.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks All for the responses - great range of ideas here.

I assumed (not sure if this is correct) that the same wiring loom would be used for any rover - but I could be wrong. I'll call up the parts department and the Dealer and see if they can supply a list and price quote for all the parts needed. I have a mechanic that can re-code.

All this said and done, itll more than likely be over $250 for all the modules and sensors. I like having a stock setup - but not paying over 250... I've had good experiences with TPMS - especially when it includes the spare. So Im willing to do it for the right price.

That being said - I really like the low form factor, and cheapness of the accessory dlimanov mentioned above.. like that it also takes temp readings as well thats pretty cool esp. given the hot roads in Dubai. I'll buy that and report back if I can get more info on the parts and cost. Also will let you guys know how well the aft. market setup works.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,672 Posts
I have to agree with the why bother folks. My mother has a Chrysler 300 we have to turn off the warning for spare tire every time we get it. We've even followed the owners manual for using very powerful magnet provided in the spare tire compartment to clear the sensor and have it be relearned by TPMS CPU.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright folks - here's what I did and why for individuals who may be curious in the future.

I went with the Tymate 60 or so buck TPMS system. Its great. lots of functionality, super simple install... I think its accurate within 2PSI which is decent... Beeps when a tire falls or rises above a certain threshold and best of all, super easy to unscrew one of these sensors and deflate the tires for any offroading in the sand with zero issues...

much better than any factory / expensive solution - thanks guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts