Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short i'm the new teen owner of my dream car a p38. Its in mint condition with on 70k on the odo. I had a bad experience with a crazy girlfriend who keyed and slashed my tires. I don't want that to happen to my new pride and joy. Is there any way one of the commercially available sensors could be added. Would you trust a local place that is reputable that they could do it?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,414 Posts
in a nutshell NO, the system has a built in volumetric sensor which senses variances in cabin pressure thus emulating a proximity sensor. due to difficulty in calibrating and the nuisance they cause, factory systems as advanced as they may be hardly ever use a motion sensor.
a qualified local audio shop should be able to install a quality aftermarket unit if so is your desire. something quite popular in the high end luxury market in recent years has been the compustart.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
It may not be as easy, but it's definitely going to be cheaper to choose your girlfriends more wisely... or at least, choose your ex-girlfriends more wisely.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
89 Posts
Also, even the most advanced system for car security won't keep your car from being keyed and tires from being slashed. The systems out there are designed to detect intrusions and prevent theft mostly. Kmagnuss is right, find less crazy girlfriends lol.

The other thing you could could do is add a dashcam that had it's own power source even while the car was off. That would give you a chance of catching it on film and maybe bringing up charges. However that only works if they walk in front and the lighting is good.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Jake actually makes a great point... they have 360 degree dash cams now that are motion sensitive. This might be the way to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They never seem crazy until you dump them! But yes advice heeded, ill do some more poking around. Kmagnuss I see your in sarasota, I plan to be going to college in ST. Pete. Is there a good independent rover shop near tampa or sarasota? I love to work on my cars and have good experience but if the crap really does hit the fan its good piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Sorry man... I don't know any repair shops... and luckily, they don't know me either. #wrenchlife

·
Registered
2007 RRS HSE
79 Posts
Years ago, Directed Electronics (Viper, Python, Clifford, Avital, etc.) used to make an alarm system with a proximity sensor (much like the volumetric sensor in the P38) that went beyond the confines of the vehicle, and sounded a warning if someone got too close. It was an option one could add to the "basic" alarm system. Not sure if it's still available on the latest generations of alarms or if there is now a more sophisticated version of it, as I imagine it was a very annoying feature to have!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Years ago, Directed Electronics (Viper, Python, Clifford, Avital, etc.) used to make an alarm system with a proximity sensor (much like the volumetric sensor in the P38) that went beyond the confines of the vehicle, and sounded a warning if someone got too close. It was an option one could add to the "basic" alarm system. Not sure if it's still available on the latest generations of alarms or if there is now a more sophisticated version of it, as I imagine it was a very annoying feature to have!
lol I used to have it on one of my past cars, it even had the voice module. due to the voice module I found a citation and a note on my windshield from local police about environmental nuisance security system, the note was a impound threat if issue not corrected.
another of my past toys I installed a proximity sensor but the trigger was wired to a flash module rather than back to the alarm, it gave the impression of taking a picture when too close to the vehicle... never has as much as a door ding on it...

·
Registered
2007 RRS HSE
79 Posts
lol I used to have it on one of my past cars, it even had the voice module. due to the voice module I found a citation and a note on my windshield from local police about environmental nuisance security system, the note was a impound threat if issue not corrected.
another of my past toys I installed a proximity sensor but the trigger was wired to a flash module rather than back to the alarm, it gave the impression of taking a picture when too close to the vehicle... never has as much as a door ding on it...
That's funny, and ingenious at the same time! I've always dreamt of installing some sort of a device that would spray chloroform in the car, that way when you get to your car in the morning, you'll find the would be thief knocked out, until the cops came.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
That's funny, and ingenious at the same time! I've always dreamt of installing some sort of a device that would spray chloroform in the car, that way when you get to your car in the morning, you'll find the would be thief knocked out, until the cops came.
great idea, reminds me of the original ROBOCOP movie and the security system on a car in the movie...electric chair...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRNVxHPJ0hM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts