Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added RR Safari Fogs, now my LF beam/dip/lower fog are dead.. wtf

So the manual does not list a fuse for headlights, does anyone know what went wrong here? We did jump the Safaris off the wire for the OEM lower fogs, so they would work in tandem. Occasionally ran two headlights, with Safaris and lower fogs, so 6 lights total on low beam mode. High beams would run alone as a pair.

Please advise

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Re: Added RR Safari Fogs, now my LF beam/dip/lower fog are dead.. wtf

Headlights are run from the BeCM and should only be a trigger for a relayed system. Any additional lights should be run direct form battery via a relay and low voltage switched source.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

dangit... so if i run the safaris that way, will my lights work again ? I rarely use the 4 fog setup, clearly the OEM dip beam is not happy now

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts

Without knowing how yours has been wired I really couldn't say. The set up you describe is illegal in most if not all states. Auxillary lights were wired with main beam trigger from the dealer or Special Vehicals. If I were in your shoes I would be disconnecting and inspecting everything that you have installed and then removing the lid on your BeCM and smelling for burned components.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts

There's a separate supply from the BeCM to each of the front fogs, so if you wired your new lamps to just one of them you will have tripled the load on that feed which has almost certainly burnt out the MOSFET in the BeCM. As RRTH says though, additional lamps with dip beam, other that low mounted fog lamps with a flat beam pattern, would be illegal in most countries not just most States. Auxiliary lamps will always be wired to come on with main beam.

To do it properly you would take a feed from the battery to a relay (or relays, one for each additional lamp) and use the power to the existing lamps to operate that relay, never just hang additional lamps in parallel with existing ones. Even on a basic system where the light switch switches the lights directly, you would be risking blowing a fuse or burning out the light switch with the additional load.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts

The factory Land Rover wiring harness (which is how the spot lamps are wired on my nudge bar) takes a live and a ground direct from the battery. There is then a relay in line with the +ve feed, and then the trigger for the relay is wired into a piggyback plug for the internal high beam on the RH side (just in front of the battery). This way (as previously mentioned) the load is driven direct from the battery, with the trigger taken from the high beam.

Also as mentioned I would say that you have either burnt out a MOSFET in the BECM - and/or the actual track on the circuit board.

If that is the case - either swap the power board, or the track is probably repairable with a piece of decent gauge wire, and the MOSFET isn't too bad to replace either - I've just recently removed a whole load from a junked power board.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

thx for all the info.. I have owned the rover for 3 years and not gone near the BeCM.... how major is this fix, and fill me in on where and how to get to thiese parts. I hesitate to search becm and find horror stories... yikes

my hi beams still work btw... and the safaris were on with my low beams only. I know 6 lights is a lot, but I think 8 is the law. I am ok with lows and safaris, so 4 total on rural roads , no traffic. I have one shop who might be able to fix this I hope..

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts

The BECM MOSFET part number is BTS-432E or BUK202-50Y depending on the year - but the parts are interchangeable.

The MOSFETs are soldered in on both sides of the power board - so the easy way to remove the faulty one is to cut the legs on the top of the board and remove the body of it, then remove each leg individually as you aren't then fighting to try and heat 5 legs all at once! Once all 5 legs are removed you can then clean up the holes through the PCB, pop the new one in and resolder it.

Not that difficult to do at all. You may have fun trying to find the MOSFETs in small quantities - but you probably have a wider selection of places that will stock these components in the US... like here:

https://www.westfloridacomponents.com/IC561PE11/BTS432E+High+Side+Power+Switch+IC+Siemens.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts