RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I found a 1995 Disco for sale near me for a good price. It has 105k on it and new brakes,exhaust, water pump, master cylinder,and tires. I was hoping someone here may have owned one of these and would be able to give me a quick list of things to check for when I go to inspect it more thoroughly.

Thanks for any input!

PS my P38, Lilly, got a new tint job. I'll post pics later.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Disco's aren't Range Rovers. We've discussed this recently.

Just check when the water pump was done, and why it was done. Could be someone trying to move a (Rover V8) problem onto someone else... :hand:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rich998a said:
Disco's aren't Range Rovers. We've discussed this recently.
I know this... The people here are just so knowledgeable I thought that someone may have owned one in the past...

The current owner is an older woman who just bought a smaller suv as she is retired and doesn't want a big car anymore. She is the original owner and seems to have taken care of it well.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Heres how my Discovery ownership ended.

Caught on fire in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. It was also a one owner :naughty:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
I thought you were going to install some strobes, mirror balls and a thumping sound system in your garage.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Wow Doc, I had forgot all about that fun. :crybaby2:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
NachoMan77 said:
Doc, we need more details ! Any theories ?

N.
Maybe he mounted a spare tire (tyre) on the hood? :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist :thumb:

Martin

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The driveline of the Disco I is similar to a RRC so good proven technology there.
And like RRC what kills them is rust.
It's basically a RRC with a different shape body, so it shares many of the problems.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
It was sitting on the trailer after I blew out the CV. Around 1am our dog started raising hell and after going outside we saw why. I backed up our Scout to the trailer and pulled it out into the road so it wouldnt burn our house down. The fire department showed up after the fire had burned out. :roll:

The fire marshel came by and looked around it but he never came to a conclusion. We all figured electrical.

The Discovery is just a crap pile. The interior sucks, it didnt have a CDL or VC so it sucked completly off-road, and it got really bad MPG's.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies. Sorry your's caught fire Doc. Anyway someone beat me to the punch it has been sold.... I think I'll stick to the P38 for now

Thanks Everyone!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
it didnt have a CDL or VC so it sucked completly off-road, and it got really bad MPG's.
But had a working transfer case? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Apart from rust killing them in damp climates the Disco 1 is a fine truck - far more use than a RR classic,Ok the comfort is not quite as good,but there is a load more room in the back and the extra jump seats in the back are ace for the school run.
The US market missed out on the TDI,which in either 200 or 300 versions are just about the best 4wd unit ever built.Esp the 300 against the zf auto - my biggest problem is that mine is getting rusty and I dont know what to replace it with. Disco II's are crap by comparison and I wouldnt even consider a 3 or 4.
For the money and general effectiveness I dont know what else will carry so many people up the motorway beyond the speed limit,tow 3.5 tonnes,(Properly) drag tree tunks to my log pile or do the anything else I want it to.
Its only done 167,000m and mechanically it goes as well as it ever did - and has made a few Td5 owners comment how well it goes.( 7 up on the way to the Goodwood festival of speed.)
And it does not need constant engine rebuilds,plug leads,Mafs etc - its just a reliable,useful tool.
I want a new one.....

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
allyv8 said:
I want a new one.....
You mean a new old one? :thumb:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
I hear ye mate. There are more than a couple of models I wish I could get "new" too....But oh well.
I have never had an issue with the Disco's myself, but being from England maybe I just have a little more knowledge than the fine folks over here?
The Disco's are a true do it all tool. From the commercial spec'd ones, to the top of the line ones. Never seen a Range Rover with solid sides being used for contracting work myself :lol:

Martin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts