RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I changed the entire exhaust system on my Gems 4.6 – I’ve been having long running over fuelling/lack of power problems, so I changed the exhaust just in case the nasty old lashed up system was impeding air flow, and choking the car.
At the same time, the Lambdas have been swopped with ones from a friends’ car as we were suspicious about the quality of my recent replacements.
We fired up the car to get it up to temperature and check for leaks - all normal.

Then I reset the adaptives with my Faultmate, to see if it had any impact on my fuelling/power problem.

The following day I took it to work for a test run, and got this…

• Morning crank took noticeably longer to start the car (it usually starts on the button)
  • Car parked at work for 8 hours or so – the afternoon crank took over a minute before firing – once fired settled down ok (crank speed was excellent, so I assume voltage is fine)
  • After the journey home, with the ignition off and key out, I could hear the fuel pump (or a very similar noise coming from the tank) running for about 30 seconds
I’ve not had chance to have a look at the adaptive values yet.

Can someone shed light on the fuel pump noise? It’s not something I’ve heard before…

Also, I’m open to ideas as to why resetting the adaptives (or changing the exhaust) affects the cranking/start time?
Any help appreciated!

FYI - the original exhaust on the car was a dreadful mix of bodged bits of pipe, with nasty bends, tight diameters and kinks where someone had forced fitted it – where it split for the twin rear pipes it was just awful, necking down to around an 1 ¼ at the T piece – the front cats looked to be original.
Now we have a standard front Y piece, c/w new cats, a straight through centre section (no silencer) and a single pipe sports rear section c/w silencer. Tube diameters are now nice and consistent, and all the bends are as Land Rover intended, nice and smooth.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I would check if the system is stuck open-loop ? Also is the injector rail leaking or lacking pressure ?

Regarding the fuel pump run-on, mine does this (randomly) but I never figured out why or what triggers it. Definitely doesn't happen every time, but seems to be more common after a long run or really warm weather ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts