RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say that the thing I am most disappointed with in moving up to a 2006 from my p38 is the headlights. I have the adpative bi zenon and II constantly feel they are too low...and the driver side facing to much towards the passenger side (N/A) I had the delearr check alignment and they said they are fine...reality is I cannot see someone who is walking in the opposite lanes face in the dark unless they are less than 20ft away...when 15ft from my gargae door they look fine...could they be "apting to the right if I am slightly out of aligment or stearing gaainst the crest of the road...forcing them to "look" more right...can you disable them to just have them in "normal position" anyone else underwhelmed by these? sorry..knock wood..really do love her...:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
isnt the adaptive bit just an extra bulb in the side lights that turns on when you take a bend ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
The light actually turns as a whole unit. Mine does it and I've had no problems with it.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
darrenmax said:
isnt the adaptive bit just an extra bulb in the side lights that turns on when you take a bend ?
We don't have those "cornering lights" here in the US. I understand they are included in headlight clusters of AH over in Europe, but the adaptive headlights feature is the one that swivels the HID reflectors left or right to supposedly better illuminate the road ahead in the direction you are steering. I agree it's way over-hyped technology - the "adaptive" part, not the xenons... Those are great - but I don't think you would get much of an improvement by disabling the motors that swivel the headlights. The movement is very subtle and the module is only active as you are steering the car left or right (as long as the car is moving, they won't move while you are stationary), so in a straight line or when steering just a couple of degrees in either direction you would likely notice very little - if any - difference in illumination, whether your headlights are "adaptive" or not. Either the headlights are indeed misaligned (get a second opinion) or you need to get used to the much brighter but sharper cutoff of a HID beam pattern as opposed to the "diffused", but far weaker, halogens on your P38. :wink:

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts
It sounds more like an alignment/aim issue instead of an adaptive issue. While my FFRR lights are great -- good aim, function, etc. -- my wife's Volvo (xenon) came with awful aim. I simply changed the aim of the lights out on a dark country road.

I don't know whether that's possible on the FFRR (I haven't looked but would imagine it can be done). Usually aiming lights is pretty simple and you can do it yourself. Dealers seem to keep the aim low to avoid potential legal/liability issues -- if you are comfortable and conscientious with where you aim your lights, you may as well do it yourself. The adaptive lights ought to use your new aim as a baseline and swivel from there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
was in italy last week, dropped some cars off in turin then went down to monaco to pick up another

·
Registered
93 Posts
DCR said:
I have to say that the thing I am most disappointed with in moving up to a 2006 from my p38 is the headlights. I have the adpative bi zenon and II constantly feel they are too low...and the driver side facing to much towards the passenger side (N/A) I had the delearr check alignment and they said they are fine...reality is I cannot see someone who is walking in the opposite lanes face in the dark unless they are less than 20ft away...when 15ft from my gargae door they look fine...could they be "apting to the right if I am slightly out of aligment or stearing gaainst the crest of the road...forcing them to "look" more right...can you disable them to just have them in "normal position" anyone else underwhelmed by these? sorry..knock wood..really do love her...:)
DCR, Try this.
It says a phillips screwdriver, but all of them I have seen are 6mm hex. Pull the vehicle up to a wall on a FLAT surface. Good luck! ibis1

Published: Nov 19, 2004

Headlamp Adjustment (86.40.17)

NOTE:
With self leveling suspension, make sure the vehicle is at the standard ride height.

NOTE:
The headlamp setting is 1.2 % below horizontal and parallel.

NOTE:
NAS vehicles have vertical adjustment only.

1. Align the headlamp beam setting equipment to one headlamp.

2. Switch the headlamps on and to dipped beam.

3. NOTE:
NAS vehicles have vertical adjustment only.

Adjust the headlamps with a Philips screwdriver.
Rotate the adjusters A and B by an equal amount for vertical alignment.

Rotate the adjusters A or B for horizontal alignment.

4. To adjust the second headlamp, repeat the above procedure.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
The adaptive lighting ECU in the earlier years have been such a pain the the backside, that LR technical regularly suggest disconnecting it when it is at its normal height. May not be a problem in parts of the world, but the ECU is located in a wet place and the ECU also stops T4 in its tracks when connecting it to the vehicle. Just unplug the ECU and find a T4 or similar to tell the Car Config that the car is non-adaptive lights.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but the adaptive warning light keeps coming on and going off in our 2006 HSE. Driving me nuts. Adaptives work fine when the light's off, just tired off it coming on and afraid it will lead to cascading failure lights. Can someone please tell me where in the engine compartment the ECU is located so I can disable it? I have cursory searched while changing the oil and can't see it in an obvious spot.

BT

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but the adaptive warning light keeps coming on and going off in our 2006 HSE. Driving me nuts. Adaptives work fine when the light's off, just tired off it coming on and afraid it will lead to cascading failure lights. Can someone please tell me where in the engine compartment the ECU is located so I can disable it? I have cursory searched while changing the oil and can't see it in an obvious spot.

BT
Keep in mind that beyond just unplugging it, you will need to disable the functionality via Testbook or equivalent. If you just unplug it, that light will probably just become a permanent nuisance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts