RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Please can some one advice how to use the hawk eye to reset the adaptive features of a range rover 4.0 1996 model.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
The Hawkeye is a version of the T4 Mobile (I think) which is a scaled down mobile version of T4 with limited features. It was developed to allow a workshop to continue working even when the T4 unit was being used elsewhere. As a result, it doesn't cover the same things as T4 full version. I don't know if it resets adaptions or not.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A quick question on this adapure thing.

Supposing a 1996 4.0 P38 is smoking bad,and a new air flow meter replaces the old one. what adaptive feature should one be looking for

before it started smoking
When it started smoking
And after a new airflow meter has been installed.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
On T4, when you check the trouble codes, it asks you if you want to reset the ECU. Typically this is done when a new MAF, HO2 sensors etc are changed.

I had a p38 in this afternoon which has had a shocking (as in the use of jam jar lids!) LPG conversion done. It also has a bad aftermarket MAF on it. The problem is that the GEMS (adaptive) has gone so far away from its correct settings (due to the faulty sensor) that it would never return back again (maybe not never..) so an adaptive reset puts it back roughly where it should be when running correctly.

Thing is, if the adaptives have gone to an extreme, and you fix the issue (for example putting a working MAF onto the car) then the engine will still be using the extreme trims, thus still running badly. By reseting them, it allows the car to run correctly again.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks richie, So what is the value when the system is still working right.So apart from the T4 no other can do the resetting?what about the blackbox solutions wont they have something that can do it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Edable said:
Thanks richie, So what is the value when the system is still working right.So apart from the T4 no other can do the resetting?what about the blackbox solutions wont they have something that can do it.
Yes the Blackbox solutions MSV will do that as well as many other functions. :thumb:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man are u making me very happy.Just one more question please.Can I use for more than one p38 at a time without having to update it?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Edable said:
Can I use for more than one p38 at a time without having to update it?
Depends which version you buy. You can either get a dedicated version for one car that covers every module for a reasonable price - or you can buy individual modules that will work on any vehicle which work out quite a bit more - just have a look on the BBS site. What you can do with the single vehicle one is pay a small admin fee to transfer it to your next p38.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Man.It so happens that i already have a P38 and looking forward to getting another,that means for the single vehicle one i will need to pay admin fees anytime i need to use it on either of the vehicles right? or is it a one time deal,once a pay the first admin fee i dont need to pay anymore?When you say dedicated one that covers every module do you mean that once i buy it i can use it for any p38 and other rangie?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Edable said:
Thanks Man.It so happens that i already have a P38 and looking forward to getting another,that means for the single vehicle one i will need to pay admin fees anytime i need to use it on either of the vehicles right? or is it a one time deal,once a pay the first admin fee i dont need to pay anymore?When you say dedicated one that covers every module do you mean that once i buy it i can use it for any p38 and other rangie?
The" dedicated one" ie single vehicle use MSV is tied to the VIN number of your vehicle.Ie the software is licensed to work only on a particular VIN no and will not work on any other P38.The admin fee payable to transfer the Licence to another VIN number is meant for when you sell /dispose of your existing P38 and acquire a different one.If you do this the software will now only work on the new VIN number and will no longer work on the previous VIN number.It is not meant to be swopped each time between two or more VIN numbers if you own more than one P38.The SV MSV will work on all the ECM,s on a single VIN number.

If you have more than one P38,then you need the Multi vehicle software licence.This is much more expensive,but it does have the advantage that you can purchase the Licence for one ECM at a time.ie Say you have aproblem with the EAS,you can then purchase the Licence for the EAS software only and this will then work on other P38s.Later you can purchase Licences for Engine,ABS, gearbox,BECM etc as and when needed.
Hope this helps.If I am in error,I am sure one of the Gurus will post a correction. :thumb:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
IIRC Colin did say that the MSV is set up to store up to 5 VIN's. Thus you can indeed license the 2nd rig to work with the MSV, and still keep the first. Still tied to specific VIN's so cost is not out of the world.
Maybe check with Colin over at BBS and ask?
I know I love my MSV, paid for itself time and time again.

Martin

·
Registered
931 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
IIRC Colin did say that the MSV is set up to store up to 5 VIN's. Thus you can indeed license the 2nd rig to work with the MSV, and still keep the first. Still tied to specific VIN's so cost is not out of the world.
Maybe check with Colin over at BBS and ask?
I know I love my MSV, paid for itself time and time again.

Martin
If you wish to still keep your old vin no. active and have a new one licenced as well,I think you have to pay the full SV licence fee for the second VIN no. and not just an admin fee. :think:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
News to me then I guess....
IIRC he said in a recent post that it can be licensed for up to 5 rigs.
A quick email/PM to Colin will clarify it though :thumb:

Martin

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've just been quoted give or take 1590 pounds for a DEC Super Scan II and covers all Land Rovers......Im impressed so far with the whole setup on how it works and is very easy to use..
Seems they gathering great interest world wide

1 - 14 of 14 Posts