RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

When I got my RRS, I got one that was on the lot instead of ordering because I am an impulsive, inpatient shopper.. Well, the one thing I really wanted that this one does not have is the adaptive cruise control. What would it take to get this installed? I imagine most of the radar is there since it has the spots in the bumpers but it is missing the steering wheel control and modules I'm sure. Any ideas or part #'s would be greatly appreciated.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,976 Posts
A new car! The ACC is not just aftermarket install. Looking at the manual even the L320 has ACC capability!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi all,

When I got my RRS, I got one that was on the lot instead of ordering because I am an impulsive, inpatient shopper.. Well, the one thing I really wanted that this one does not have is the adaptive cruise control. What would it take to get this installed? I imagine most of the radar is there since it has the spots in the bumpers but it is missing the steering wheel control and modules I'm sure. Any ideas or part #'s would be greatly appreciated.
...The parking sensors have an effective range of a couple feet, they aren't used for Adaptive Cruise. They are used for parking and (usually) blind-spot detection. I need to look up specifically how Lard Rover does theirs but it is either a directional radar gun built into the bumper/grille (ever noticed the large black square built into the center of last-gen S and E Class Mercedes grilees with adaptive cruise?) or it's stereo camera based (the more modern system that doesn't require a large, heavy radar assembly to be built into the front of the car, there's usually just two cameras on either side of the rear view mirror, built into the windshield), either way, retrofitting adaptive cruise is not an easy thing. A lot of other things integrate into the Adaptive cruise to provide redundant safety layers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, what is this behind the review mirror? It is some kind of camera and a sensor (auto high/low beams?) right above it. I was wondering what the camera was used for and if possible, some how finding the feed and duplicating it for a DIY dash cam mod.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cruise control cameras have to be stereoscopic for depth AFAIK. They also use cameras for speed limit sign reading, auto-high beam, etc.

·
Registered
274 Posts
...The parking sensors have an effective range of a couple feet, they aren't used for Adaptive Cruise. They are used for parking and (usually) blind-spot detection. I need to look up specifically how Lard Rover does theirs but it is either a directional radar gun built into the bumper/grille (ever noticed the large black square built into the center of last-gen S and E Class Mercedes grilees with adaptive cruise?) or it's stereo camera based (the more modern system that doesn't require a large, heavy radar assembly to be built into the front of the car, there's usually just two cameras on either side of the rear view mirror, built into the windshield), either way, retrofitting adaptive cruise is not an easy thing. A lot of other things integrate into the Adaptive cruise to provide redundant safety layers.
ACC and Forward Alert (including Intelligent Emergency Braking and Advanced Emergency Brake Assist) use the forward radar sensor. Two rear-facing radar sensors are used for blind spot monitoring, closing vehicle detection, and reverse traffic detection. The PDC sensors are only good for 4' around the vehicle, except the two center rear ones, which are good for 6'. At 10 mph, PDC sensors are disabled. At 6 mph, BSM is enabled. The front radar sensor is right in the middle on the "moustache" ("lower cooling aperture"), above the towing eye cover. If you mount a license plate over it, it doesn't work. Trust me. There is no redundancy, it just disables and lets you know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm a huge fan of adaptive cruise control systems but I would say its not worth trying to retrofit it into this car. Since the resale value of the car is still pretty high, it would make more sense to trade the car in for a newer model with ACC.

Also, the ACC for the Range Rover is one of the worse of I've tried to date. You cannot activate the system from a dead stop like MB's Distronic system and in stop and go traffic, the car hesitates to resume to keep distance with the car in-front. For long drives at highway speeds its does a good job.

I've retrofitted and coded a lot of things into my BMWs but there doesn't seem to be a lot of support for JLR products.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,781 Posts
Well, say if someone was in a wreck and had to get their car repaired, they have to get the parts somehow.
You are missing the point. ACC is not a matter of tossing in a couple parts and driving away happy. You are looking at completely different base wiring harness, ECUs and components PLUS major programming changes to your BCU... if even possible. THis is not like adding Bluetooth to a compatible rig or adding LED banded headlights.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
797 Posts
I would love ACC and was wondering the same thing as the OP but I've learned to live without it. Get this; I turn on cruise control and brake when I'm too close. Then I turn it on again. It means I have to pay attention and press a few buttons.

;)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yup this is tops on my list of options I wish my car had :( You don't know how awesome it is until you drive a car with one. I recently drove from Monaco to St Moritz and back to Monaco in a new diesel 7 series with adaptive cruise control and semi-autonomous driving and it was one of the best long haul drives of my life.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Depends on where you live it is either nice or a waste of money. I have it on my Panamera Turbo and find it useful in traffic when I am tired. I also took my RRS from dealer inventory without ACC and rarely miss it. Decided it was worth the extra 1295 (it was quite a bit more on the Porsche) but not the extra waiting. Get it on your next vehicle, we may have autonomous driving by then which IMHO would be worth extra $$

·
Registered
27 Posts
You are missing the point. ACC is not a matter of tossing in a couple parts and driving away happy. You are looking at completely different base wiring harness, ECUs and components PLUS major programming changes to your BCU... if even possible. THis is not like adding Bluetooth to a compatible rig or adding LED banded headlights.
Who told you this?
All L494 are fitted with this wiring.
All you need is the front sensor. The correct steering wheel button and to reprogram the CCF file. Takes less than an hour for the full retrofit!?
I know because I’ve done probably over 100 in the last three years.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Who told you this?
All you need is the front sensor. The correct steering wheel button and to reprogram the CCF file. Takes less than an hour for the full retrofit!?
(y) Only issue is that I'm not sure if there are aftermarket solutions to reprogramming CCF files on newer cars (2018+)?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Who told you this?
Very cool to know the Rover Sport Supercharged is such a modular vehicle... I have this feature but have never, ever used it because I don't fully trust it not to get me rear-ended by over-braking from an ahead situation/vehicle and the vehicle behind me hitting me. I had this happen to me in a previous vehicle and haven't gotten over it I guess...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Who told you this?
Do you know if all L405 are fitted with this wiring? My car is L405. Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you know if all L405 are fitted with this wiring? My car is L405. Thanks!
Yes the 405 has it as well. The 494 and the 405 share the same core.
Here is my how to on installing it. Very easy!

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover sport autobiography
39 Posts
May be a dumb question but how do you know if you have acc? Is it this on topix?

• TSR/ADAPTIVE SPEED LIMITER

·
Registered
118 Posts
The best way to tell is the arrows on the right side steering wheel button pack As seen in the picture below. It’s a fairly rare option on the Sport.

• TSR/ADAPTIVE SPEED LIMITER when you have it on will only let you reach the speed limit based on the sign recognition camera. Does not work in conjunction with cruise control. When I lived in Europe it was a common thing on most cars I drove. Never use it in the US, just use ACC/cruise control

1 - 20 of 35 Posts