RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the screen YIE100080LNF

I am wondering if there is a way to adapt regular video into it, I tried searching but found nothing.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I like this idea too, however, I had a slightly different one. I was going to purchase the console/binnacle and insert a 5 inch screen that I have into it, hook up the Garmin navi box, and wire it into my speakers. This would give me the ability to do dvds as well as navigation. Sound good?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
If that's the factory nav screen, then no...there's no way to hook video to it...unless you want it to look like atari video.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
So are you going to get it?

I really want you to, so we can all see once and for all what the graphics will actually look like. I've been regurgitating that they'll look like crap for 4 years now...maybe they actually won't. But I still think they will.

So do it up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow. Hmmm.. Interesting. I wonder what it will look like myself.

But here's the issue I see. Really. You still need to install a source for the DVD player, and a backup camera if you want to use it.

There are other options out there that could yield a similar result for approximately the same amount of money. But who knows... really

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im looking into that now. There are" already made" black leather headrest tv's with dvd players built into them. Im trying to see if they have a video out for all this to work. Plus, If this is a go, I want a direct input of audio into the stereo, not fm modulation.

·
Registered
269 Posts
so what if you wanted to do my idea? use the factory screen? would you HAVE to have the factory navigation computer, or just use this setup to a dvd or navi box from garmin?

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
geeez $350 US bucks for that? isnt it just a composite to YUV converter or something? surely theres like $20 of part in it. Seems like allot for what it is. Then again it is a very simple reversable product which is very easy to install.

Personally go down to the wreckers, buy a trim piece out of a car, and cut in a 7 inch touch screen GPS unit which also has video in and away you go. Will take more time but the end result should be fantastic.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NikeCheck246 said:
so what if you wanted to do my idea? use the factory screen? would you HAVE to have the factory navigation computer, or just use this setup to a dvd or navi box from garmin?
Not familiar with the garmin nav box... Does it have composite video out? If it does than you theoretically could keep the original screen in place with this add on unit

·
Registered
269 Posts
but could i just get the screen and not have to set up or buy the factory nav computer?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Please dont make me guinea pig this one. Awesome find! But I need some screen shots and a review. Seems easy enough to install.

·
Registered
269 Posts
ha ha...you will guinea pig it if we tell you to! :lol:

·
Registered
401 Posts
You're more of a NEWB than I am 8)

·
Registered
269 Posts
i used to just read...i have now decided to become an intellectually contributing member lol

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
59 Posts
This is my first post on this forum. Long time reader though - which P38 owner isn't!? I should probably start a new thread but wanted those already looking for a solution to this to be able to find it where they left off...

So I just wanted to let you all know where I am up to being the guinea pig with modifying my nav to video using the stock screen.

It is possible! Full glorious technicolor from my stock 2001 Nav screen! Said goodbye to the Atari graphics! I just finished building the necessary electronics. They do cost a little more than $20 but certainly less than the $350 that the other box cost!
I have an '01 P38 with the factory MK3 nav unit. The navigation computer is long dead which means I have the white screen of death and no sound from the stereo if it is plugged in. I couldn't believe that a replacement nav computer is so **** expensive so I started researching alternatives...

Originally I wanted to modify the signal to accept a VGA input. After many weeks of buggering about, nothing.. I still believe it can be done for pretty cheap, but I cannot get the timing output right from the laptop. I have the hardware right, it is just the video timing that is a pain. If we had the same 16:9 screen as the BMW X5, it would work fine. Unfortunately we don't.

So, I went the second route, composite and S-Video. My setup can accept both. I am trying to make an all in one plug and play solution that can be quickly wired to the stock system, in fact, the only thing stopping me do a straight plug in solution is that I cannot find and purchase the correct sockets to plug the nav wiring into and out of. It is work in progress though, I have a lead from someone that I am following up.

On mine, I simply tapped into the video lines from the nav plug and I have built in a video relay that will switch over to the backup camera from the DVD or navigation system (I borrowed my friends BMW MKII nav computer to test it) whenever reverse is selected. I am not going to go to the ends of the earth with this unit like adding 3 different inputs etc, I have neither the time or the $$, this is a hobby first and foremost. Depending on the interest level I am thinking of making it in low volumes for people with and without working navigation computers. Cost should be around $200. Pretty cheap high quality upgrade I think. I wish of course that it could be made more cheaply, but the electronics necessary to interface to the screen are damned expensive and I can find no way around them, believe me, I have tried! Well, that's not totally correct, I tried a solution that cost about half the price, at first it led me to believe that the stock screen was from an 80's Atari! But now, here I am, twice the price with the best video chip available for this application and we have perfection.

All the lines necessary for this to work are right there in the trunk for people with navigation units. If people wanted to add a stock screen from the scrapyard then that would work too with just a few extra wires run up front. Obviously in this scenario it would only be good for DVD & Backup cam.

I am currently working on an enclosure that will house all the electronics and will have simple, well labelled wires to allow connection into the existing system. Full instructions would be provided and no soldering would be involved. Should be easy to fit within 30 mins. If I find the right connectors for the Nav plugs, it will take about 15!
This brings me to a question, my car had nav so it has the little CD storage slots in the trunk that in mine will house the finished electronics box, do the P38s without NAV have this cubby and the DIN sized spot where the NAV computer would go?? I am also confident that this could slot neatly into the spare wheel well too if the cubby isn't available..

I am sure many will ask, so, here it is... There will be NO audio in my box, this is a video solution. On my ride I am using an FM transmitter. It cost about 15 bucks and it sounds very good indeed. Just as good as CD's do. It is hidden away back in the trunk to continue the stock look I was going for. I know some people want to wire a digital audio signal into the DSP / AMP but it is simply not possible with cheaply available hardware. DVD digital audio output is 48khz and the DSP/AMP uses a 44Khz input. Over to someone else for a solution to this!!

Let me know what you all think, I will post some pictures (never tried before so fingers crossed) and hopefully a link to a video of it working so you know what it looks like in operation.

Now, speaking of VGA input to the NAV screen for a CAR PC (ooh the possibilities), I am looking for a stock screen that I can hook up outside of my vehicle to continue trying to make this work, if anyone has one, please PM me.

Cheers all.
Dan[attachment=1:120ornth]IMG_0093s.jpg[/attachment:120ornth][attachment=0:120ornth]IMG_0092s.jpg[/attachment:120ornth]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Nice work. I'd like to apologize to everyone who asked if it was possible that I said no to.

·
Registered
59 Posts
kmagnuss said:
Nice work. I'd like to apologize to everyone who asked if it was possible that I said no to.
Thanks! Let me tell you though, I totally understand why you said no... It has taken me since March to prove to myself that it could be done. Spent more time and money on this little project than I'd care to admit to the better half! ;)

Now if I could just get it completely finished and get the spaghetti-like mess of wires, oscilloscope etc out of my trunk and take my lady to the beach in the Rover again, whilst watching a movie.. Life would be wonderful!

Once the threat of hurricane Alex passes, I will get this finished..... `)

·
Registered
59 Posts
englishdan said:
kmagnuss said:
Thanks! Let me tell you though, I totally understand why you said no... It has taken me since March to prove to myself that it could be done. Spent more time and money on this little project than I'd care to admit to the better half! ;)

Now if I could just get it completely finished and get the spaghetti-like mess of wires, oscilloscope etc out of my trunk and take my lady to the beach in the Rover again, whilst watching a movie.. Life would be wonderful!

Once the threat of hurricane Alex passes, I will get this finished..... `)
Here is the video, it looks a little green, but isn't really and I say "erm" a lot... :oops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1HGPuFvung

1 - 20 of 31 Posts