RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My active sway bar has already been replaced under a service bulletin on my 2014 L405 SC - along with two other service bulletins (steering washer install & motor mount) to deal with a very nagging bunch of clunking in my truck. It is ALMOST tolerable - ALMOST being the key word. Has any service department you are all dealing with come up with a good idea to deal with the pervasive clunking on these things? My dealer says when he disconnects the active sway bar, the clunk goes silent. Any ideas....it is driving me mad.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
First sorry about your experience. Some of us on the L494 have been in enough times for repairs and have given up. What am wondering is if LR claims uncompromising quality. Are they reading any of these posts on the net? This suspension issue is a big deal. Am completely frustrated with my car too. 3 attempts to repair it by the dealer and still no success. :sad:

·
Registered
405 Posts
It still clunks because the problem is the struts. The dealer replaced both on that side and the problem was solved months ago and has not come back. FYI: My car also has dynamic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tell me its the 'active sway bar' and when they disconnect the noise goes "silent". I am told the inherent design (multi-piece) of the active sway bar allows the vehicle the crazy uneven approach angles -and that that multi-piece is the clunking that I am hearing. I am in touch with Land Rover who have escalated the problem to their tech folks...so not sure what they will have to say.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The dealer said the same thing to me when I had the 2013 SC. Now I have the 2014.5 LWB and I have the same noise. They claim it is the active sway bar. To prove it, they unplugged the fuse and the noise is better. I asked it I could drive without the fuse and the technician kinda shrugged his shoulders. I was hoping they would have a fix by now.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Well whatever it is LR needs to do the right thing and get a proper fix. My car is sure living up to the stereotypes about poor quality. I am a frustrated first time owner and I told LR in the survey they sent me recently as much but I doubt anyone reads those things anyway. This just ruins the vehicle. I am just surprised this is on the FFRR too. My shocks checked out fine, but its different left to right. I know it feels like the struts on the right are no good though. The noise is clearly in the right corner of the vehicle.

I would have paid to have them changed and asked a refund if it fixed the noise, but they are expensive pieces and logic doesn't apply with LR. Just the "objective" test of the part. Which to me is really not so objective with it out of the vehicle. Am fence seating now on if to order another car after I get rid of mine or just take my money and move on. 3 months of this is too much on a new car. The recurring electrical issues I can live with, but not this. It kills me there is a recall on the TPMS yet the big deal clunk is unaddressed.
:crybaby2:

·
Banned
86 Posts
The recurring electrical issues I can live with, but not this. It kills me there is a recall on the TPMS yet the big deal clunk is unaddressed. :crybaby2:
Why would even deal with "recurring electrical issues"--that's not acceptable either.

RR needs to get their act together on quality--period.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Can you both take a video when this is happening and maybe post it to YouTube or not as noticeable unless you're in the car?

·
Registered
405 Posts
While the clunk stops when you disconnect the sway bar, THE SWAY BAR IS NOT THE PROBLEM. My dealer figured that out and is replacing the struts which fixes the problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The struts were one of the first fixes on my vehicle ...which didn't work. The mechanic thought from the get go it was the active sway bar and its multiple piece design. Is yours quiet now?

·
Registered
405 Posts
My dealer replaced both the front and rear strut on the clunking side 3 months ago and it has been quiet since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue in my front and I replaced the sway bar bushings. Given the large diameter of the sway bar (and the large relative motion between the bar and the bushing) they tend to wear out. Replacing mine fixed the problem 100%.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi mike im having the same issue of a huge thudding noise when accelerating from a stop and as i continue to drive . Can it possibly be the same solution . My 14 l405 sc has been in 4 times now and no results. Im getting tired now and cant find hope. It does it more often in colder weather and after a while of driving.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Id bite the bullet and do the bushings. Go to independent shop and it will be less than 800 bucks. Stealership charges 2400 + highway robbery!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
The best way to tell what is going on is to just have someone sharply turn the steering from side to side while you're looking at the front suspension. You're looking for side to side movement of joints and or any noise whatsoever. You can also put it up on a lift and just pry at things until you find which component has play. There is too much going on with the suspension on these cars to diagnose it on a message forum. I'd have sworn my issue on my last range a year ago was swaybar end links, turned out to be a lower control arm. No way to know until you look at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced both my lower control arms with new bushings and complete univalls from antlantic British. I also ordered new sway bar bushings. I heard a thud over vertical bumps and if I turned the wheel rapidly from side to side while driving. Those 2 repairs made the front end quiet. Plus new fluid for the DSC . 08 supercharged RR

1 - 16 of 16 Posts