RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover MkIV / L405
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my 2019 Full Size RR without Active rear locking differential but I did get the All terrain progress control/Terrain response 2 option. Question is for most average driving in rain/snow/dry conditions does the Active rear locking diff make a difference or is it more for doing hard core off roading or in off road situations? Like a few inches of snow or a torrential downpour of rain it doesn't make a difference but if you're slipping out of control on a highway or a street would it kick in?? Was a little confused by the dealers explanation of what the difference was between the three options. It was an $1,100 option so I didn't get it. 8-0=

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
you will never miss it, unless you're going way off the pavement. for the average climate (your area included) snow/rain it won't matter at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thank you for your help! It had me thinking I may have made a mistake not getting it because it recently snowed here so I was worried about slipping and sliding on the roads at higher speeds.
you will never miss it, unless you're going way off the pavement. for the average climate (your area included) snow/rain it won't matter at all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
From what I can remember, the locking rear diff was part of the tow package until 2018, now it's an a la carte option. I added it to my 2018 LWB, mainly because I was used to having it and 1k on 125k isn't a big deal if it's something useful. When I put in snow mode, the display shows the status of the differentials - I see the rear locked fairly often when I'm driving in terrible weather - specifically going up a snow covered hill. Perhaps it'd drive the same/not noticeably different without that option? I get about 150 inches of snow per year where I am - if the weather wasn't so terrible, I think skipping that option would be a good move, but overall, I don't think it's a useless feature.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer basically convinced me it wasn't worth it for our conditions here because the AWD system would be good enough to help it out in slippery conditions. I was just worried more because his explanation wasn't clear enough and none of my vehicles in the past have ever had an Active rear locking diff before so I honestly didn't know better. The cost didn't turn me off I just wasn't sure that the option would be used, like the tow option I would absolutely never use once in my life.
From what I can remember, the locking rear diff was part of the tow package until 2018, now it's an a la carte option. I added it to my 2018 LWB, mainly because I was used to having it and 1k on 125k isn't a big deal if it's something useful. When I put in snow mode, the display shows the status of the differentials - I see the rear locked fairly often when I'm driving in terrible weather - specifically going up a snow covered hill. Perhaps it'd drive the same/not noticeably different without that option? I get about 150 inches of snow per year where I am - if the weather wasn't so terrible, I think skipping that option would be a good move, but overall, I don't think it's a useless feature.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts
you really only need it for heavy off road like rock crawling and heavy mud rut and sand. Normal driving or mild mud sand wont make much of a difference. The low range is a plus for those hard to navigate off road hills and obstacles.

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
I agree with the folks that have responded to this post that the active rear diff is not essential if you are not really into off roading. If you are it is definitely a good thing and better than the purely brake based systems of traction control which Land Rover pioneered on the last Classics and the Mk II P38 Range Rover, and do a good job in most conditions. Their innovation was soon copied by the lesser makes of course, and are now almost universal even if you buy a Toymotor.

Cheers

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can anyone clear up exactly what American-spec L405s came with the active rear diff? Was it optional on all, or standard on some? Was it available at all with the Td6?

Current LR4 owner looking at L405s and wanting the rear locker.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,151 Posts
I believe it’s only an option for V8s.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe it’s only an option for V8s.
Sounds like Land Rover.

Take an option that most people who go off road in an L405 would want and make it so you can't get that option with the engine that many (if not most) of the same people would want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts