RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RRS was parked at LAX airport while I was away on business. Return to my vehicle to find a note regarding vehicle damage.

The hood and front bumper are damaged, and I am missing the "N" in 'Range Rover'. :crybaby2:

Fortunately, the airport security and police officers were there during the incident and were able to collect the other driver's information and insurance. So luckily, I should be covered no expenses.

Question: The hood and bumper, both will need to be completely replaced? Is the hood also full aluminum?

I called my local LR dealer, and they referred me to their preferred auto body shop (Penske Collision in Downey, CA). Anyone had work done there?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sorry to hear that... maybe less agonizing than actually being in it while someone crunched you. Re hood, pretty sure it is alloy since my first gen RRS is - had to replace it and the roof panel due to an attack by golf ball size hail on day 5 of ownership.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
There are several listings on eBay for the hood last I checked. Probably off of salvage vehicles.
Also, I have 2 extra 'N's from my old set in the garage if you need replacements ;), you can have them both.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wow sorry to hear about this, amigo. One of my worst nightmare to return to a damaged car after a trip.
At least there was a note left for you... I would have gone berserk if no note had been there.
Also, usually any autobody that deals in Aluminum cars are more reputable places, ie. they are dealing with higher end vehicles.
I would assume both affected areas to be replaced thus eliminating actual "body work" and more just parts ordering/painting.
Good luck with the repairs, hope this sorts out positively for you.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm really sorry this happened to you, LAX is horrible, I'm always relieved to get out of there.

Yes, the Hood is aluminum, I don't have any experience with that Body shop, I'm sure if the Dealer recommended it they for sure have experience with Aluminum.

Talking from personal experience, you need to be concerned about diminished value because you will more than likely have a Carfax flag come up when it's time to sell or trade your sport in.

It happened to me when a Car I owned was damaged at Cedars Sinai Hospital, it was only $1200 worth of Damage but ended up devalueing it by thousands because I claimed on my insurance so it then had a Carfax accident alert on it, this was a $200k Car.

Google "Carfax diminished value" I don't want to be the Dad at the Party (again) but it's better to know upfront so you can go into it prepared.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,545 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage Double E. We got our cars within a coupld of days of each other. Now yours is wrinkled. Depending on the extent of damage, aluminum can be repaired. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sorry to hear about your truck. I always hire a limo for trips to/from the airport. Too many deadbeat scum bags loitering around the NYC & Phila airports.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got an estimate and it came out to roughly $4500 including parts/labor.

Parts = $2767

The hood cannot be fixed. They need to order a full replacement they said. The bumper will also be replaced. Luckily none of the cameras or sensors were damaged. Hopefully there's no other internal damage once they take it apart.

I'm dreading not having my car for a couple weeks... haven't turned it in yet. Waiting for final approval from my insurance.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,545 Posts
Wow, bummer. Make sure you save up enough to buy a beater for the airport when this is all over. I kept my old suv after I bought my RRS just to have a car to take to the movies, airport and other places so I didn't have to worry about parking.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Sorry you are having to deal with this.

We take a taxi/limo to LAX airport. Well worth the cost and less than the insurance deductible! It is also great if you are really tired after your trip, so you don't have to worry about driving.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Yes, in this case since Double-E wasn't even there and the RR was parked, so the other party's insurance should cover all costs and any deductible. But they don't cover the time and aggravation to get the RR all fixed up ...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, it should be covered 100%.... however I will most likely be without my RRS for 2-3 weeks, depending on parts availability.

Thinking I won't turn it in until next month as I have a couple trips planned that I want to use the RRS for. Yosemite and Big Bear!

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,545 Posts
Not to be an accident gawker, but do you have any pictures? Just wondering what a $4K accident looks like on a RRS.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0002_2.jpg IMG_0003_2.jpg IMG_0004_2.jpg

Not excruciating, and definitely still drivable. Huge chunk is the estimated labor costs. Would you believe that the aluminum hood and bumper are not priced very differently?!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would have cost a lot more had any of the parking sensors, cameras, headlamps or foglights been damaged as well. YIKES

1 - 20 of 35 Posts