RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately a driver lost control and swerved in front of me yesterday. My car had to get towed to a nearby body shop as the passenger front end "gave out".

I take great care of my car like many of you on this board so I think there is a dramatic sense of loss whenever our cars get damaged. Yes, insurance will cover the repairs (initial estimate $12k), but I am assuming the car will never be the same.

Just wanted to post to see if any of you have had "bad" accidents and how your car turned out in the end.

Any other thoughts on personal accidents ect please feel free to share. This is my first accident so it seems surreal.

Writing this I feel like I am coming off as if I lost something much more important than a materialistic item, so I want to clarify that is not the case. Just upset in this whole situation. My car is wrecked/dirty sitting at a body shop vs in my clean garage.

Thanks Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 7.50.10 AM.png

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Gut wrenching yes. Dramatic no. That really is minor if it is only $12K. It's very doubtful this is much more than cosmetic and a tie rod end. The EAS most likely failed due to the sensor being damaged. Even if the actual strut needs replacing it's not an issue. From a structural point any decent shop can have it back up to snuff and you will never know the difference. The hardest part of the repair is going to be matching the paint on the body and your rims.

I had a 300 a few years ago that was a few hundred from being totaled. It was our choice to total or fix. Took 6 weeks for repairs and a follow up visit but it run and drives perfect. The only place I can tell the difference is that the paint under the hood has more gloss on the firewall than the fenders because it was different batches and different techs doing the work.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,990 Posts
It looks fixable. I had more damage in my 2011 L320 when it was hit rear passenger side.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
338 Posts
Maaan that stinks. I can see why your feeling so bummed, even though I've never been put in this situation.
Only thing that id be worried about when it gets repaired is that the paint matches and the fender is lined up properly with the door and hood. Which, still shouldn't be too big of an issue for the shop doing the work. Did it bust the headlight also?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really appreciate the words everyone.

I assumed my whole front suspension/end would need to be replaced as the body basically rests on the front right wheel.

After the accident it actually started and the tow truck driver had to back it out of the ditch to angle it properly for the flat bed to winch it on. The front passenger tire sounded like it was just tearing through the body....but I was surprised the car moved.

I will say, w/o prior "accident experience" the car felt like a linebacker hitting a wide receiver.

Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 11.36.12 AM.jpg

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Sorry about this but don't feel too bad, like others have said if the initial estimate is "only" 12K the damage is likely to be mostly cosmetic, not structural. A few weeks of suffering in a crappy rental car and your puppy will come back as good as new. Plus, you will appreciate the shine of that brand new hood every time you drive it, at least for a while. ;-)

A little less than a year ago I rear ended a pickup truck with my LR4, in a 3-vehicle accident on the freeway here. Unfortunately I was the last of the 3 cars involved, so 100% at fault. My damage was at the front end, and it also turned out to be around $13/14Ks in the end... Although nobody got hurt, I hit pretty hard and my airbag deployed, which made it worse (for the insurance, the claim, and my premium!) My first "at fault" accident ever. I know exactly how you must feel, but look at the bright side, at least your insurance premium won't go up and you'll forget all about this in a few months. As bad as it looked, my car drives exactly the same as it did before, make sure to get it fixed at a body shop with a good reputation, not necessarily the one your insurance co., or the one of the fellow who hit you, recommends. And insist they use only genuine parts for everything.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,478 Posts
Mamma mia...Umberto! That had to hurt...but at least you had the video cam running to replay the incident! :)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I had my twin girls with me in the back seat - they were 5 back then - that was the scariest part of the ordeal. Nothing happened to them thank goodness (the insurance company also paid for new car seats, even though there was no apparent damage to theirs they are required to do so by law.) They were pretty excited to tell all their friends in kindergarten the following day about the big "balloon" that popped out of daddy's steering wheel... :???:

Ultimately, these things are just hunks of metal and plastic. As long as everyone is fine, that's all that really matters.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Umbertob!

We are actually expecting twins and I get a great sense of relief and joy that my pregnant wife and dogs were not in the car with me. I think you are pretty spot on that in the end it is just metal and plastic

I drove through a nice winter snow storm last month and its funny how some LA rain causes the mishap.

IMG_0974.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG

·
Registered
799 Posts
Dude that does suck but like many have said, it will be fine in the end. One thing you should consider is the battery.... I just got back form the dealership this morning for a low battery warning and while I was waiting as the service manager quick charged my battery I overheard one of the service reps on the phone with a customer who was complaining that her battery was dead after being away for 3 weeks. He asked her where she stored the FOBS and told her that if the car is within 20 feet of the FOBS it will self diagnose and prime itself (even when turned off) a few times an hour as it thinks you're close by and will be driving soon. This kills the battery so maybe mention that to the guys doing the work for you when you bring it in so they can keep the FOB far away from the vehicle when not in use in order to keep the battery fully charged.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice!

To rub salt in my wound, the tow truck driver actually LOST my key while loading my car. It was raining heavily and there was basically a small stream of water where we were....We didn't notice the missing key until we got to the body shop. Of course the key is probably damaged from being in water and the road is actually closed off now due to flooding.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Did you have your dashcam running At the time of the accident?
Yep, sure did. It basically showed me going too fast and braking too late when the guy in front of me hit the car ahead of him, which had itself come to a sudden stop. It was wet from a recent thunderstorm - always a problem here in dry SoCal as streets become as slippery as ice with all the oils, grime and grease being washed away after months of sun baking the asphalt... But it was still my fault for not keeping a safer distance.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for the advice!

To rub salt in my wound, the tow truck driver actually LOST my key while loading my car. It was raining heavily and there was basically a small stream of water where we were....We didn't notice the missing key until we got to the body shop. Of course the key is probably damaged from being in water and the road is actually closed off now due to flooding.
Are they going to pay for a new fob? Hopefully you have a spare, however, key fobs aren't cheap and since the tow truck driver is at fault, they should have to pay for a replacement.

Whenever the road opens back up, I'd go look and see if you can find it, you never know, it may work. Or you may be able to put it in rice and seeing if it works, if it doesn't.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,990 Posts
My 2011 RRS hit from the side! ImageUploadedByAG Free1452135842.634979.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1452135912.570224.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1452136001.621516.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1452136144.431070.jpg

It took a long time for it to be fixed due to OEM parts that I asked my insurance to get from UK. Almost 2-3 months. I ended up trading it in. But the after fix showed it was fixed well.

·
Banned
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
139 Posts
Hi, what if towtruck driver did not really loose that key..... He has your address from all the paperworks right? Sorry for conspiracy theory but something similar happened to someone I know..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess anything is possible but it really did seem like he lost the key on accident (or he is a great actor).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a auto adjuster doesn't seem to bad from the pics, its def. going need a supplement once the bodyshop starts tearing it down. As far as matching paint goes that is false. If the shop is good at what they do it will look like it has never happened and I think your car is a 2stage paint there shouldnt be any blending into the other panels if your car is a 3stage paint then yes your door will get blended and probably your L-fender because they are more then likely going to replace your hood,or the painter just might feather it out,whatever the insurance is paying for that is whats going to happen.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anyone think 30 days is entirely too long to repair a car?

I realize there are many variables involved (delayed parts, additional supplements, ect) but it has been 30 days since my accident. The adjuster saw the car the day of the accident and sent in the repair estimate immediately.

The insurance company has already sent the full payment to the body shop.

The body shop has been very good in responding to my questions, but the completion date keeps getting pushed.

Basically they had to repair/replace the bumper, headlamps, hood, panels, wheels, door, front right suspension and paint everything/detail.

Yesterday while they were about to get the car aligned they noticed a small crack in my steering gear assembly which is getting replaced....so now the next estimated date is Monday.

Please let me know if this is a reasonable amount of time as I assumed it would take 1-2 weeks max.

If it is indeed entirely too long, what options do I have? I don't think I can or want to tow my car to another shop and I do want to tread lightly as I want them to do a good job.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,990 Posts
Once you pick the shop, have them do it to your satisfaction. I would visit and check that they do a good job. When my RRS was fixed it was good as new and I made sure they did body alignment, made sure the welds where done properly that they ordered an oem body part from uk not just a flat sheet of metal and formed to make the part. Total cost of the repair was $16,000.00.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts